Shifting on the fly.

TeenZombie

nope, you can shift on the fly all the time (<40mph)... you really never want the fronts engaged unless you are actually in need of it.. otherwise you're spinning the front axles needlessly. the only thing you have to stop for is 4lo and to backup to get the fronts unlocked.

Ah, okay.

Yeah, just thinking with the heavy winter PA is supposed to get, I may need em... my transfer case is OLD and I don't want tos tress it too much...

I also need a AT Oil cooler...

Ok im sure that has been covered several times before, but i cant find exactly what im looking for in search or in the stickied thread. I have a 96 pathy, and from what I understand I can shift into 4-hi as long as im going 25mph. Is this correct? Also, once im in 4-hi how fast can I go? Lastly, when put into 4x4, it seems high or low it doesnt want to come back out right away I have to mess with it, anyone know why? Whats the proper way to do it? My apologies if there is a thread answering my particular questions, but I didnt see one

Did you read this sticky? I think it will answer your questions.

http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=6957

I actually didnt see that sticky, thanks man I apprecaite it. So what I gather from that is for 4 Hi, its best to stop, press in the clutch, put it in 4 HI, and from then on I can safely do shift on the fly back and forth up to 50mph (according to owners manual), then to fully disengage I need to stop, but it in 2, and then reverse 3 feet? but how fast can it go in 4 HI? If theres like 2 inches of snow and i'm doing 55 or something is it ok to be in 4-HI? For 4-Lo thats come to complete stop, depress clutch, pull it into 4 LO, then to switch back stop, depress clutch, put into 2, then reverse 3 feet. Do I have it right? Sorry if I seem a bit neurotic about it, my pathy has 160k on it, and i dont want to break anything so I need to be gentle,haha With that many miles should I just avoid shift on the fly and just always stop?

It is best to come to a complete stop before you do any transfer case shifting, but 4-H can be shifted on the fly, if and only if you have automatic hubs. But your transfer case will make all kinds of scratchy grindy noises that don't sound pretty. And yes, to unlock the hubs you have to come to a complete stop, and then reverse a few feet in order to unlock the hubs. And 160k is nothing. Mine has over 250K and is still running strong. I shift on the fly sometimes, but it is always smart to stop first.

I almost always come to a stop before shifting into 4Hi. I have an automatic though. I have shifted on the fly while driving under 20 and heard no grinding at all but just for wear and tear sake I usually stop. And I am pretty sure your not supposed to go over 55 in 4Hi. I have caught myself doing 60 before so who knows if I did any damage or not.

It is best to come to a complete stop before you do any transfer case shifting, but 4-H can be shifted on the fly, if and only if you have automatic hubs. But your transfer case will make all kinds of scratchy grindy noises that don't sound pretty. And yes, to unlock the hubs you have to come to a complete stop, and then reverse a few feet in order to unlock the hubs. And 160k is nothing. Mine has over 250K and is still running strong. I shift on the fly sometimes, but it is always smart to stop first.

I've shifted on the fly at the beach with auto hubs tons of times with no grinding or scratchy noises whatsoever.

Mine does, it's not loud, but it doesn't sound good. If you grab ahold of the handle and really cram it in, then it doesn't, but if you just kind of pull it back, it doesn't want to go, and the T-case makes a clicking/grinding.

A 96 does not have "auto hubs" It's got fully engaged, full time drive splines, unless swapped out for Manual hubs.

The rest posted here still applies.

A 96 does not have "auto hubs" It's got fully engaged, full time drive splines, unless swapped out for Manual hubs.

The rest posted here still applies.

I actually have a 97, idk why i typed 96...haha Are they still the same? Does this mean im not supposed to shift on the fly? I did yesterday and it was really smooth, no bad noise whatsoever

Edited by GP2001

• 2 months later...

I had no idea this would be such a big issue. Its just 4x4 people. lol. U can put it in 4hi while moving and its not bad for the truck. As far as needing to know how fast you can go in 4 wheel, you dont need to know. I drive everyday through about 3-5in of snow in 2wheel with no problem. Only time I need to use it is if im offroad or get stopped on a icy hill. Cool 4 pages on this though.

I consider it like 4x4 Standby - shifting into four wheel drive locks it in. Shifting out leaves it partway engaged, but without power to the front wheels. This allows you to drop it back into 4x4 while on the move.

Wierd thing on my 95 is that even if i push the shifter back into 2hi, the light stays on and i can still feel that its in 4x4 but if i stop somewhere, but dont' back up it will go off and keep the hubs locked. :crazy: pathy.

• 3 months later...
okay i dont know if im doing something wrong how do i switch it into 2H and 4H from 4L

to get to 4-lo you have to press the shifter DOWN and back :crossedwires:

try the search function, there was a complete write up on how to shift the t-case and what speeds. i think it's in the how-to's in the garage :aok:

to get to 4-lo you have to press the shifter DOWN and back :crossedwires:

try the search function, there was a complete write up on how to shift the t-case and what speeds. i think it's in the how-to's in the garage :aok:

its in 4L it moves to N but wont go to 4h and 2h

you might have to be stopped with the gear selector in park or in n. then push down on the stick and shift it up (toward the motor)

Edited by skrillaguerilla

I find my 95 has to be in Neutral, or it won't shift into, or out of 4LO. As previously mentioned, push down to get it into, and out of those gears.

• 10 months later...

Question. When I go from 4Hi back to 2 wheel drive I get a terrible grinding sound from the tranny and this is stopped in neutral. I'm thinking that can't be good, any ideas? Auto trans. Also does it matter if OD is on?