Newbie looking at a Pathfinder

Guest munckee

Guest munckee

Hello!

I'm trying to decide between a Pathfinder and an xterra and I want to get some further info. I have about $13k to spend (maybe a bit more) and I need something in auto, 4wd, with airbags (driver and pass.). Can anyone recommend what I might look for in terms of year, miles, etc?

ALSO, is there a breakdown somewhere of the differences between model years and trim packages somewhere on this site?

Thanks!

Guest munckee

Thanks. I don't honestly plan to lift either of them. Not into serious off-roading. I just want something that will work. I need the SUV more for haul space (lots of climbing gear) and its ability to hit some fire roads, etc. out west.

The Pathfinder will give you more engine power and greater comfort. The X is more of a utilitarian vehicle, if you know what I mean. I haven't had any experience with interior room on both vehicles, so I couldn't tell you anything about the comparison of storage space.

Guest munckee

Ok, maybe I need to re-phrase my question:

I can get a ~98-00 (maybe 00) Pathfinder with 60-80k miles for about the same price as I can get an 00 xterra with ~50-60k miles. I've driven two of each; the pathfinders i drove were a '98, which I hated, and an '01 which I thought was very nice. Unfortunately, I have no idea what the difference between the '98 and the '01 was, so I don't know why I liked one over the other.

The '98 felt very truck-like and wobbly. Power didn't feel spectacular or anything. The '01 that I drove felt very stable and the power felt notably better than the xterra. But I can't afford the '01 so the point is moot.

I like the Xterra. It doesn't feel quite as stable as the '01 Pathfinder that I drove, and as I said, it lacked some in power, but I need something very utilitarian the the xterra fits the bill nicely. I also like the styling better than the Pathfinder, but that's purely subjective.

SO, for the same price ~$13k, would you go for an older Pathfinder with the same to more miles or a newer xterra with fewer miles?

Guest munckee
Dude, go with what you like and can afford. I'm not making choices for you.

Dude, I'm not asking you to make up my mind for me. I'm asking for some input on what the pro's and con's of each might be so that I can make an informed decision for myself.

Guest geogeek

The '01 Pathfinder has the 3.5 V6 (240 hp) (http://auto.consumerguide.com/auto/used/reviews/full/index.cfm/id/2506) and the '98 had the 3.3 (170 hp) (http://auto.consumerguide.com/auto/used/reviews/full/index.cfm/id/2290).

These sights also have some information on the other changes each year too.

I have heard the Xterra has alot more room and a more versatile interior - never have driven one though.

If you look around (depending where you are) you should be able to find a higher mileage '01 in your price range.

Buy what you like best - go out on a LONG test drive, I don't think you could go wrong with either.

For my money though, I would buy a older Pathfinder for about $5,000 and save the money.