Hi from New Zealand and my Terrano

R3M

Hi all, just aquired myself a 1991 Nissan Terrano R3M 5dr 2.7 Turbo diesel.

I did a straight swap for my 89 Samurai, so i'm pretty happy.

It has a few minor teething problems with wheels/suspension but the body, engine, interior are all mint.

It currently has 31x10.5x15 muds on the factory 15x6 rims

so it handles like arse on the road and the tyres dont fit the rims at all!

So i'm off to get some new 15x7 white spokes since they're dirt cheap and this should fix up my handling quite a bit.

But all in all i'm pretty happy with it, and am looking forward to knowing all you guys

Oh, if theres any other NZers on here give me a yell :D

Welcome, sounds like a good swap to me !! Congrats on the new trade, and yeah, the 10.5x31" barely fit. I have a set of 15x7" rims I need to recondition for the next round of tires myself. Winter project for me... Thanks for chiming in !! :beer:

B

Hey man :D:D

Good to have another NZ'r on here!!!!

I don't own a Terrano these days, but still float around here and help out with the TD27(t) related stuff when i can, as well as knowledge of whats available in NZ for the vehicle!!!

These guys have a wealth of knowledge from small things such as repairing the headlight switch to lifting your truck 6" so you can run 33"s.

In the states they didn't get the TD27(t) engine, only the VG30 v6, but for everything else that isn't engine related, this is THE PLACE to come!!!!!

If your into getting off road, drop into www.offroadexpress.co.nz, there's not a whole lot of tech stuff there but i'm the moderator of the Nissan forums and help out with what i can. What does happen there is a sh!t load of small trips all round the country organised by individuals from the site. Great fun, ya meet some really good people, and find places you never new existed to go 4wheeling!!!.

Drop in and sign up if your looking to get out and about, and come here for all your tech stuff!!!!

I'm based in Hamilton these days, where do you hide??

Cheers,

Pete.

DSC02800.jpg

Edited by Diesel Boy

I don't own a Terrano these days, but still float around here and help out with the TD27(t) related stuff when i can, as well as knowledge of whats available in NZ for the vehicle!!!

For which we are VERY apreciative Diesel Boy !!! :clap::beer:

B

R3M, you seem to already be very knowledgeable about 4x4's (you had a Samauri) and now I have a question that you made me think of. You said running 15x7's would increase handling over 15x6's. True, the 15x6's aren't meant to fit 31's, but hoe much of an improvement are we talking here? I'm running 31x10.50 on my 15x6 and it seems alright to me.

And welcome! WAVEY

Wheelman, they bulge a bit too much being somewhat pinched at the rim. The tread doesn't really lay flat well due to this. The 31" doesn't matter, it's the 10.5" part. 9.5" would probably fit very well...

B

Yes, on the 6 inch rims I feel the tyre move around alot. And this is definatly evident when you rock the car on the spot, you can see the sidewall moving.

It'll be after x-mas that I get the 15x7's and its only an 'assumption' they will handle better, HOWEVER time will tell B)

Thanks for the welcome diesel boy. I'm WAY down south in Dunedin. I've always been into offroading, had a suzuki SJ413 running 30's before my Samurai. I felt I needed something bigger since i'm getting older and more responsible :P

However, I have noticed the lack of offroad abilities of the Terrano. The weight sees it slide everywhere! and the ground clearnace is pretty arse, but its a nice truck on the road and handles moderate offroad duties ok. The low box is a step forward for the off road ability. I'd be lost without it!

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, after working all my Christmas hours I had enough $$$ to get some whitespokes before x-mas.

They are the brand 'Mangels' i've never heard of them before but they look good and were dirt cheap. $68NZD ea (i think thats around $40-45USD)

On to the handling side of things....HUUUUGE improvement :D I'd recommend anyone running 10.5s on the 6inch rims to go an inch wider. It doesnt move side to side on the road so much, the ride is comfier and smoother. I couldnt believe it :blink:

Plus not to mention they look more rugged B)

They are the same as on Diesel Boys Terrano except under that mud they are white!

Now my next mission is to remove the entire dash. It has the common passenger side (which is the left for me) rattle at the front of the dash near the windscreen. I've had the glovebox etc out and couldnt locate anything. But with a stethiscope I can pin point in coming from just under the top of the dash (HOW BLOODY ANNOYING!)

Can anyone link me on a 'how to' for removing the dash? I searched and couldnt find anything

Hey Bud... Good to hear that the 15x7" make a noticable difference; I knew it would help, but not how much... :shrug:

Here is a link about the dash, maybe try PMing Steve (Vsicks Pathy) for any tips, but odds are he'll tell you some thing like "if you can't figure it out, you shouldn't be doing it" or "don't waste your time" or something... :D Nah, he's a good guy, give him a holler...

B

• 2 weeks later...