Welcome New Members !

Precise1

Hey all, I live in The PNW (Pacific Northwest), USA. I snowboard, rock climb, and hike throughout the mountains in Washington and Oregon. I just purchased a 2008 Nissan Pathfinder LE V8 4WD (R51) with 115k miles. I’m new to Nissan and hoping it will last 250k miles as my project outdoor car, so I’m looking to learn from others on this forum. I want to rig it up, so I can reach some trails that I haven’t been able to make in the PNW. I’m also considering getting a light RV trailer to tour around the US with my 2 dogs . I also want it to look badass when I drive through the city. Here are some photos of it stock when I purchased it:33970e706fa3ad8673d25a7cec0f3ee2.jpg

To start, I’m having Accessory Outfitters in Portland put on an ARB suspension kit lifting it 2.5”-3” to prepare for some 33s. Rose City dip is going to plasti dip my emblems, trim, grill, and stock rims Matte Black.

Feel free to send me recommendations and suggestions. I’m all ears!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Looks like a clean starting point! Not sure what the danger zone was, but some early R51s had issues with the tranny cooler splitting inside the rad--something to look into and consider bypassing that cooler or replacing the rad. IIRC the VQ40 had some timing chain guide issues as well, something else to look into.

Looks like a clean starting point! Not sure what the danger zone was, but some early R51s had issues with the tranny cooler splitting inside the rad--something to look into and consider bypassing that cooler or replacing the rad. IIRC the VQ40 had some timing chain guide issues as well, something else to look into.

Thanks for sharing this. I’ll look into that!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Hello! I'm late to join, but I've had my 1999 (or 99.5... not sure) for over nine years. Bought it with 125k miles for $5k bucks, and it's still going strong 70k miles later!

So far, everything's stock, but looking to get a little more aggressive. The front CV joints are shot, so that's next on my repair list if you have any tips. In the future, looking at swapping the autolocking hubs for manuals (debating the Mile Markers at $100 vs. the Warn at ~$350), and doing some kind of lift.

R50small.jpg

• Like 1

Hey guys , newbie here , I'm on my second pathy , first a 99 and now a 2000 . Shes only a two wheel drive but I painted flames on her and raised her an inch with bigger tires and now put 31 BFG KOs on her so I just ordered the 2.5 lift kit and tools to take the body up off the tires...LOL , I paid for good package on photobucket and uploaded images but still cant seem to get them here , I am over 50 so some of this tech stuff escapes me

9a86166d8b5bc0c4979705279a0adad9.jpg38afc8a21f31bb94ba64ab86e12b4731.jpgc1eaa41803685c0ce1935bec9224f747.jpg61789b833b685a2421cd696f9472650e.jpga509e1508b8a55da15868bfb22a69eed.jpg8c2156bcdc4150abcc31e2a427db9454.jpg18456d001305faafa0b69546718b6b80.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Howdy y'all! 

Last week I flew from Denver to Portland to pick up my father in-law's Pathfinder and drive it back to Colorado. His Jeep blew up and he was looking for something cheap. I found this '87 on the side of the road with a "for sale" sign in it for $1100 and called him. He just wanted a cheap rig to get him by until he could save up for something better. He said he'd pass it on to me when he got something new. So, now it is mine! I will have to figure out how to post pictures, right now my pictures are too big. But, she is a pretty girl. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, nsanenthelane said:

Howdy y'all! 

Last week I flew from Denver to Portland to pick up my father in-law's Pathfinder and drive it back to Colorado. His Jeep blew up and he was looking for something cheap. I found this '87 on the side of the road with a "for sale" sign in it for $1100 and called him. He just wanted a cheap rig to get him by until he could save up for something better. He said he'd pass it on to me when he got something new. So, now it is mine! I will have to figure out how to post pictures, right now my pictures are too big. But, she is a pretty girl. 

Welcome! Congrats on you new rig, The early 2 doors are simply the best (personal opinion). Look forward to your pics!

Hi there thanks for having me. I'm stoked i found this forum.As I purchased my second pathfinder six months ago but my first 97 R50 Se 4x4 and I have decided to do mild build that I can daily drive and hit the trails afterwork and on the weekends. Murphy's law has it as I'm getting ready to do the lift on it, I get job offer back home in WA but have to be there by this coming Wednesday lol time crunch great. So I found myself using this forum as guest to answer my questions. In having found all my answers here I had to join to make life easier.thanks for having me here and I look forward to shooting the @!*% with other pathy enthusiasist.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Pathfinder Adventura 4WD 2.5 R51 type 2007

well, did my dpf regen this morning, with forte cleaner and a lot of sweat and anxious jiggling. 60mph in 3rd gear got me a steady 5000rpm for a 30 min burn. heater on full, windows open in the half light, what a laff, but , roads where clear and allowed the constancy reqd. Seems to have worked and idling smoother than a knife through butter. engine cooling now so see what idles like and econ settings like in a few hours. You can do it yourself if youve got the **lls. ???

Hi everyone,

I bought a 2003 Pathfinder SE 2WD about a year ago, and I was needing some info on it, so I thought I'd join to see if I can pick some brains. Lol..

It is pretty clean. Was just under 200k on it when I bought it and now it has about 212k. I've always wanted one since I test drove a 1998 a few ages ago.

I'm having an issue with it right now, so hopefully I can get some ideas.

Thanks!

2003PathfinderSE_a.gif

Been driving and upgrading my 98 chilkoot for about 7 years now, did a 4" sfd and 2" coil lift in the front and a crazy @7" spring lift in the rear by accidently ordering the wrong springs...but it works so what the hell. A month ago I bought a 98 QX4 and getting it ready for a 6" sfd, I love these R50s, I've owned 3 JKs, and this thing does a lot that they couldn't.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello all, fairly recent R50 owner here!

Got my hands on a 1998 Qx4 (VG33E) with just under 200k miles in late May of this year. Somehow a deal fell in my lap. A friend of my parents had this car and the alternator had gone out. The owners were not huge car people, so when the shop quoted them around $1200 for the alternator and accessory belt swap, they decided to offer me the car (for FREE?!?!?!) as a project car, as they knew I am big into cars and wanted to start a project of my own!

This is my first real project car. I graduated SDSU with a BS ME in December 2019, with my senior project being an air intake for the school's FSAE race car, so I do have quite the mechanical knowledge and stuff, but turning theory and knowledge into experience and cool projects is a whole new thing for me! I've been having a blast working on this car, even with the scarce aftermarket support. The forums here and youtube videos by other members are honestly invaluable, so big shoutout to the community here! That dude Tyler Smith on youtube is a massive help, recommend any new R50 owners check out his stuff :D

Anyways I've done a bit of work on the Q since I got her. Here is a quick rundown, will try and post some pics soon! maybe I'll make a quick build thread in the R50 section ?

This is also the car I have been learning how to off-road and such in. Some areas the car has been to include Hollister Hills SVRA and some random trails in the Lake Tahoe area! The Q is an absolute beast and handled some tough spots :P

Work done:

Alternator replacement, and 3 accessory belts (generator, power steering, AC)

new wipers (lol)

Tekonsha Tow Harness T-connector (to be able to connect to a trailer)

2" lift springs off of 4x4 parts for the front and rear

KYB Excel G shocks and struts

1" spacers for the tires I got, which are Toyo Tires Open Country AT3's, size 265/70/R16 to fit on the stock wheels (why not lol) - Highly recommend these tires! they are a new tire by Toyo and they are awesome and work really well. Lots of grip on trails even without airing down a lot. Plus they are rated for severe snow conditions! - https://www.toyotires.com/product/open-country-at3

new CV axles in the front (destroyed the old CV boots on the Hollister Hills trip, totally worth it lol)

a $50 Nilight light kit from amazon, which included 4 small LED pods and a 20" bar. I consider myself bad with electric stuff, but I decided to order a switch box and wire up all the lighting circuits myself without buying any wiring harness kits. It's not too pretty, but it works and I am proud of my work! :D

Air filter replaced (it was gross and had some black and maybe some burned crap in it.....)

Work planned:

-Manual hubs 

-Need to replace my CV's again.... got new ones from O'Reilly about 3 weeks back, swapped 'em. Went camping in Tahoe 2 weekends back and hit some light trails (and one tough section), and went camping/fishing up North again this past weekend with minimal dirt roads. We did try some low level stream crawling (so fun). On the drive back though, something started clicking and I found out the inner CV boots on both sides had torn. Poked one of them and water poured out.... I have not even been wheelin' it that hard... But it's all good! O'Reilly has lifetime warranty, so I have to call them and see what my next steps are to get new axles. If they don't want the new axles back to give me replacements, I plan to swap the torn boots myself and re-grease the joint and keep them as a backup set of axles, as it seems this is an issue that will pop up again due to the lift. If anyone has advice on what else I can do to try and not run through CV axles every few weeks, I'm all ears :)

After doing the CV's again, I am not entirely sure on what to do next! The engine is begging for more power! Looking around the forums and on youtube, I see a couple options for myself.

A pop Charger intake from JWT seems like it would be a good mod for a bit of power. I have also seen that a Cat-back Exhaust might do a decent bit for the engine as well. After that, it seems like the jobs get much more intense. I saw something about "Euro Cams" which seems super cool. And of course maybe finding a VG33 that was supercharged out of an old xterra or frontier that came with those would be super cool to do as well. 

Pictures of the car as it currently sits!

1465-cropped.jpg

IMG-1466-cropped.jpg

IMG-1468-cropped.jpg

IMG-1469-cropped.jpg

IMG-1472-cropped.jpg

Edited by The_Q
missed some stuff
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, The_Q said:

This is my first real project car. I graduated SDSU with a BS ME in December 2019

That dude Tyler Smith on youtube is a massive help, recommend any new R50 owners check out his stuff :D

Awesome to hear my channel helped you out! She looks great!

I’m studying for a BS CE myself right now, have lots of ME friends and roommates.

Edited by PathyDude17
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, PathyDude17 said:

Awesome to hear my channel helped you out! She looks great!

I’m studying for a BS CE myself right now, have lots of ME friends and roommates.

Seriously dude, your videos were a HUGE help. I would've been so lost trying to figure out some of this stuff without your helpful vidoes with the suspension diagrams and stuff! Super descriptive and helpful, especially when I was picking parts for the lift. 

Good luck with the school bro! CE stuff is too much for me lol, I am not that great with long coding sessions or electrical work. Stick with those ME friends, they do the most fun work in terms of getting into the shop and messing around with all the cool machines lol. But also it seems like you have plenty of shop/mechanical experience from browsing your channel ?

keep up the good work on the pathfinder! looking forward to whenever you do another video, even if I don't necessarily need it to advance my own build, they are fun to watch :D

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, The_Q said:

Seriously dude, your videos were a HUGE help. I would've been so lost trying to figure out some of this stuff without your helpful vidoes with the suspension diagrams and stuff! Super descriptive and helpful, especially when I was picking parts for the lift. 

Good luck with the school bro! CE stuff is too much for me lol, I am not that great with long coding sessions or electrical work. Stick with those ME friends, they do the most fun work in terms of getting into the shop and messing around with all the cool machines lol. But also it seems like you have plenty of shop/mechanical experience from browsing your channel ?

keep up the good work on the pathfinder! looking forward to whenever you do another video, even if I don't necessarily need it to advance my own build, they are fun to watch :D

Lol, CE meaning civil engineering. I like the coursework ( and even did some job shadowing). That’s what’s available the most of in Idaho. It’s been good so far!

I’m more mechanically inclined/interested than a few of my ME friends haha, it’s fun getting to work in shops and put together stuff with your hands.

thanks for watching, dropped on this weekend, and plan to squeeze out a few more during 2020, especially if school closes at thanksgiving of this year. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/16/2020 at 2:44 PM, taberwit said:

Hello! I'm late to join, but I've had my 1999 (or 99.5... not sure) for over nine years. Bought it with 125k miles for $5k bucks, and it's still going strong 70k miles later!

So far, everything's stock, but looking to get a little more aggressive. The front CV joints are shot, so that's next on my repair list if you have any tips. In the future, looking at swapping the autolocking hubs for manuals (debating the Mile Markers at $100 vs. the Warn at ~$350), and doing some kind of lift.

R50small.jpg

I have a Nissan problem. Just picked up a 4x4 4banger 1991 WD21 (125k miles for $900) and a 4x4 XEv6 1993 D21 (175k miles for $1000)—I couldn’t choose, so got them both. Plus my 99.5 R50. My wife thinks I’m a lunatic. 

I picked up a LH passenger door glass at the wrecker today to fix a window in the ‘91 pathy. While I was there I found an ‘98 R50 with a rear tire gate, so picked that up (holy hell it was heavy!)—will I be able to mount that to my 91 or 99.5 somehow?  Also, I need a driver door to replace a heavily dented driver door on my 91 pathy—will most wd21 or d21 doors fit, or only some years?

thanks in advance.

https://freeimage.host/i/3j2WkN
https://freeimage.host/i/3j2XpI

Hello all. This is all very new to me so excuse me if I'm not in the right spot.

I wanted to share my 1990 Nissan Pathfinder SE V6 with the Sport Package.  I bought this from the estate of the original owner a while back and I think that it's pretty special. The original owner was a single lady who purchased it new in Phoenix AZ and always kept it garaged at the same home for it's entire life. It has just over 51,000 original miles on it and being in AZ, it has no rust whatsoever.  It's stunningly original throughout with virtually no wear on the interior and a most excellent exterior. It even has the original floor mats and has never been smoked in. The original owner was OCD about this vehicle and had every bit of maintenance and repair documented and included her own notes (I have files of the stuff). I even have the original window sticker, cancelled check used to buy it, original spare cover and the dealership promo brochures.  

It had been sitting for a few years so I had it towed to my mechanic and had everything gone through front to back to put it into "daily driver" condition.  I wanted to be able to take it anywhere, even off-road without a second thought so I really had it gone through.  I replaced all fluids including differentials and coolant, timing belt and water pump, u-joints on rear drive shaft, new drive belts, shocks, muffler and tailpipe, battery and even the gas struts on the rear hatch and window. Absolutely everything works including the AC. There was always a dash-mat on the dash  so it's perfect too.  I put 4 brand new BF Goodrich KO2's on it and it had the optional 31X10 5R15 tires originally.  The sport package includes 15" alloy wheels and tires, glass flip-up sunroof with shade, limited slip differential, rear disk brakes, outside tire carrier, wheel locks, fog lights, fender flairs and running boards. The transfer case had a small leak and the original owner tried to address it at one point. I determined that there was a tiny crack so I sourced a transfer case in AZ that came from the same year Pathfinder that had 101K original miles and had it installed. I'm as obsessive as the original owner and none of my vehicles leak anything....ever.

This is probably the only one like it anywhere.  People drove these things like trucks so to find one so well preserved is pretty rare I guess.  I didn't slick it up, polish hoses or shine the interior. It was so clean, that I vacuumed and washed it and did a quick polish to protect the paint.  It's about as honest as a 30 year old vehicle gets.

So, I'm really happy to have this gem of a truck but it doesn't get hardly any use. It seems too nice to take off road so I drive it sometimes for pleasure but I'm not sure what I'll do with it ultimately.  Sometimes I think that it should have a home with someone who will use it more often. I use my other rides for off road, camping etc. I have a 2006 Toyota Sequoia 4X4 with 151,000 miles and a 2005 Toyota 4Runner SR5 with 70,000 original miles. It has a nice home in my garage and maybe it will get out more now that the weather is getting cooler in AZ. 

I've posted a link to my photos. Hope that you enjoy them and find my "one of a kind" Pathy interesting and fun to look at.

https://imgur.com/a/84YV7Xm

• Like 1

Awesome! I just picked up a 

1 hour ago, Wallywal said:

Hello all. This is all very new to me so excuse me if I'm not in the right spot.

I wanted to share my 1990 Nissan Pathfinder SE V6 with the Sport Package...

That’s awesome! So awesomely clean @Wallywal! Totally jealous. I just picked up a ‘91 with 125k and thought that was low. Lucky duck!

Hello everyone my name is Luis im from bullhead Arizona its a pleasure to be here amongst fellow patty lovers sadly mine is not currently running, but hopefully with your help i can change that