Photo

SE or XE?

• Please log in to reply
159 replies to this topic

Poll: 1995 Nissan Pathfinder XE or SE, which do you like better? (338 member(s) have cast votes)

1995 Nissan Pathfinder XE or SE, which do you like better?

1. XE (120 votes [35.61%])

Percentage of vote: 35.61%

2. SE (217 votes [64.39%])

Percentage of vote: 64.39%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#121 OFFLINE   Trogdor636

Trogdor636

Durp!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,393 posts
  • Local time: 05:42 AM
  • Model:SE Offroad
  • Year:1994

Posted 20 March 2012 - 08:31 PM

After reading these last replies and watching the videos I think Mine's an XE and the SE on the side stands for special edition or something. The cloth matches that of the XE, only difference between the XE in the video and mine is that mine has sunroof and way more rust / body damage.

Sunroof is more likely SE. Do you have the stock wheels? Are they chrome, or are they a silver robot looking wheel? On your center console, do you have a switch that says sport/comfort? Do your headrests have holes in them, or are they solid? If you still have stock shocks, are there wires going to them? Is your radio antennea power, and does it mount on the top/side of the fender, or does it mount on the top of the fender? These are some common SE (or LE, in my experience LE's have no tire carrier and normally have leather) and I think if you hit up Alkarohil he can run your VIN through a program and tell you more.

#122 OFFLINE   pathybuilder

pathybuilder

NPORA Fulltime Resident

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 245 posts
  • Local time: 06:42 AM
  • Model:XE
  • Year:1995

Posted 21 March 2012 - 06:36 AM

Sunroof is more likely SE. Do you have the stock wheels? Are they chrome, or are they a silver robot looking wheel? On your center console, do you have a switch that says sport/comfort? Do your headrests have holes in them, or are they solid? If you still have stock shocks, are there wires going to them? Is your radio antennea power, and does it mount on the top/side of the fender, or does it mount on the top of the fender? These are some common SE (or LE, in my experience LE's have no tire carrier and normally have leather) and I think if you hit up Alkarohil he can run your VIN through a program and tell you more.

Ahardbody ran my VIN, came back as an XE. Stock Chrome wheels, no sport comfort switch, headrests are solid. No wires going to my shocks, radio antenna is not power. I figured this much after searching the other posts, just a special edition XE with a sunroof. Thanks though

#123 ONLINE   kdj

kdj

NPORA Old-Timer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 423 posts
  • Local time: 08:42 AM
  • Model:Chilkoot
  • Year:1998

Posted 22 March 2012 - 04:14 PM

XE is the base model. SE is sports edition and LE is luxury edition. Mine is a 1998 Chilkoot, which is a SE with speical graffics, numbered plague, alum. step rails.,special floor mats, compass and carbon fiber dash. It came w/o heated, power leather seat and no sunroof. The XE and LE have 7.5" ground clearance and have P235/70/15 tires. The SE and Chilkoot have 8.3" clearance with P265/70/15 tires. The SE, Chilkoot and LE had the fender flares. The 2001 prices were;
XE $35,900
SE $40,200
LE $44,300 That's Canadian prices.

If anyone can add to that I'd like to know any other differences for the 1998's.

Edited by kdj, 22 March 2012 - 04:20 PM.

#124 OFFLINE   Honeybadger

Honeybadger

NPORA Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
  • Local time: 04:42 AM
  • Model:SE

Posted 31 March 2012 - 04:16 PM

Se because I have sport suspension that STILL WORKS.

#125 OFFLINE   Leo94

Leo94

NPORA Old-Timer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 790 posts
  • Local time: 10:42 PM
  • Model:Terrano R3m
  • Year:1989

Posted 23 April 2012 - 03:06 AM

send your vin number in a private message ( or post it if you want), I can look up what your truck actually is, here is a sample of what comes up with the vin number:

Posted Image

this tells you the following:
Model series
production date
exterior color
interior color
body style
engine
transmission type
trim level
number of doors
emissions type (fed or Ca)
drive (2 or 4 wheel)

decoding the model number will tell you what options came on the truck originally

According to "Nissan Fast" my terrano r3m is a SE?

#126 OFFLINE   adamzan

adamzan

Hi

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,575 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 02:02 PM

Ahardbody ran my VIN, came back as an XE. Stock Chrome wheels, no sport comfort switch, headrests are solid. No wires going to my shocks, radio antenna is not power. I figured this much after searching the other posts, just a special edition XE with a sunroof. Thanks though

If you have yours registered as an SE you might wanna call your insurance and tell them it's an XE. I know my SE costs more to insure than my XE does/did.

#127 OFFLINE   jwblue

jwblue

NPORA Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 04:36 PM

I am shocked SE is getting over one third of the votes. Who wouldn't want the upgrades?

#128 OFFLINE   Kyle94

Kyle94

If life gives you rain.... Burnouts! :)

• peewee
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,761 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 04:42 PM

Uhm... do you mean you're shocked XE is getting over one third?? or? lol.

#129 OFFLINE   Trogdor636

Trogdor636

Durp!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,393 posts
  • Model:SE Offroad

Posted 25 April 2012 - 05:45 AM

I am shocked SE is getting over one third of the votes. Who wouldn't want the upgrades?

I couldn't care less about the shocks. The 2 nice things I like about my SE over an XE is the sunroof, and the "softer" interior.

#130 OFFLINE   nismothunder

nismothunder

Hey, its only my O-P-I-N-I-O-N

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,386 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 07:51 AM

Who cares, but hears a bite of info, for the price of a wd21 new in 95 a base model xe was like 25k at the end of the year. A full size v8 powered Silverado, F150 XLT or Dodge Ram Larame were all around 20k or less. These trucks were bought new by soccer moms and yuppies.

#131 OFFLINE   nismothunder

nismothunder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,386 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 07:55 AM

I couldn't care less about the shocks. The 2 nice things I like about my SE over an XE is the sunroof, and the "softer" interior.

Sun roofs could be dealer opt'ed in any model truck. My XE has a Dealer installed Power Sunroof that looks a 1000 times better then the factory ones and it doesnt leak plus has the power to rip through ice build up.

You could change the seats out for even factory leather ones.

#132 OFFLINE   pathybuilder

pathybuilder

NPORA Fulltime Resident

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 08:09 PM

If you have yours registered as an SE you might wanna call your insurance and tell them it's an XE. I know my SE costs more to insure than my XE does/did.

Good Point, thanks.

#133 OFFLINE   jwblue

jwblue

NPORA Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 01:19 PM

Yes. XE.

I guess if someone factored in the higher cost of the SE, it might make sense.

#134 OFFLINE   Kyle94

Kyle94

If life gives you rain.... Burnouts! :)

• peewee
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,761 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 09:28 PM

Yeah... And to think. Mine blue books at ALMOST 4k today! Lol! Just throwing this out here... My leather needs to go bye bye... ;-)

#135 OFFLINE   nismothunder

nismothunder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,386 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 12:08 PM

depends on the area, there 1500 in mine with 150k. While a 95 f150 crew is like 5k with 200,000 miles.

#136 OFFLINE   Tungsten

Tungsten

Suburban off-roader

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,119 posts
  • Year:1991

Posted 01 July 2012 - 07:50 PM

Sun roofs could be dealer opt'ed in any model truck. My XE has a Dealer installed Power Sunroof that looks a 1000 times better then the factory ones and it doesnt leak plus has the power to rip through ice build up.

You could change the seats out for even factory leather ones.

The custom installed sun roofs are indeed way better than factory ones. I saw some like that at the junkyard thinking they were later model OEM power sun roofs but apparently not.

#137 OFFLINE   Canuck

Canuck

NPORA Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 10:35 PM

This topic started with what do you like better 1995 SE or XE Pathfinder. I still have my 95 SE bought new in early 1996. I had an 88 XE which I traded in.

The XE was impossible to drive on washboard gravel roads which we still have lots of in back country in Alberta. The rear end would just wander diagonally across the road, even when the truck was fully loaded and pulled a 250 lb tongue weight camp trailer.

So lets say I traded mainly for the better ride. The SE came with all sorts of stuff I had no use for. I test drive with the factory giant alum wheels, nearly drove into a wall because the dealers parking lot was not the size of an airfield, which seemed necessary for the vehicle's 100ft. radius to make a U-turn. I had them take off these wheels and put on the same ones I had on my '88. Then we adjusted the wheel turn stops, so now I can U-turn in less than 50 feet. Main reason: I often drive on seismic cutlines in the woods, which often become dead end traps where you want to turn around in less than 8 ft width with timber all around. It would take forever with a larger turning radius.

Next I had them take all the decorative nonsense off, it had plastic fender guards, just the things to break off in tight bush and get sand into the joints that will wear out the fenders in no time. Then there was the front end "brush guard" and the "protective" step rails, I know from experience that these greenhorn features only guarantee to catch fallen branches and then drag the whole dead tree into your trucks front or side. Well I ended up paying $5000 less because of my desire for a more backwoods worthy truck.

Its been really good to me, never got stuck even in deep snow. I never shovel my driveway just pack it down, (my neighbors and got 6 ft. tall snow banks on both sides). I set up the passenger seat as a bed when I am out for big game. Love the truck. Seldom use the roof hatch.

Edited by Canuck, 22 November 2012 - 10:37 PM.

#138 OFFLINE   GrimGreg

GrimGreg

King Dark Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,338 posts
  • Local time: 07:42 AM
  • Year:1993

Posted 28 February 2013 - 10:37 AM

Yeah, the easiest way to tell is the headrests. Everything else was an option and could be on an XE.

#139 OFFLINE   gv280z

gv280z

NPORA Old-Timer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 562 posts
  • Local time: 07:42 AM

Posted 23 March 2013 - 02:48 PM

I voted for XE, but here's why... I wanted the fewest power gismos as I could find, but still wound up with power locks, windows, mirrors. Tilt wheel, cruise control and AC that it has are important in my book... Ok, so be it, it WAS in good shape with low miles and has the rear tire carrier, window defroster and LSD that I wanted. Complaints are no roof rack (about to install a factory unit), no oil pressure gauge or volt meter (will install aftermarket) and no grill guard but that would just be smashed now anyway. Other than running boards (useless and I have Smittybilt nerf bars waiting installation) it may as well be an SE... The lines between are very blurred and I have managed to purchase/obtain the 'upgrade' parts for about $300. So whats the difference, really ? Other than lower purchase price ? Not much. That said, if it was an SE for the same price/condition with LSD, I would have bought it. :shrug:

B

Ahem, You didn't mention the heated mirrors that clear up when you hit the defrost button!  For myself I take great satisfaction in NOT having to manually wipe the mirrors dry, unlike the common folk of the XE! (insert effeminite stuffy titter here), I uh, mean I just really get a kick out of that!  The first time I used it and realized my mirrors cleared up, I actually called my mom who has a 2nd Gen Toyota Highlander LE and told her. 

#140 OFFLINE   pathybuilder

pathybuilder

NPORA Fulltime Resident

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 05:28 PM

Ahem, You didn't mention the heated mirrors that clear up when you hit the defrost button!  For myself I take great satisfaction in NOT having to manually wipe the mirrors dry, unlike the common folk of the XE! (insert effeminite stuffy titter here), I uh, mean I just really get a kick out of that!  The first time I used it and realized my mirrors cleared up, I actually called my mom who has a 2nd Gen Toyota Highlander LE and told her. 

This was an option on the XE models as well, maybe it was standard on the SE.  My original mirrors were heated, then after a run in with a tree that got in the way, I swapped in a non heated junk yard mirror.  Now I just have to wipe the passenger side  :blush02:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Welcome to NPORA Forums

Please REGISTER to gain full access to the forum.

Make sure you read the Forum Guidelines and don't forget to post a new intro in the New People Start Here! section, to say hi too everyone.

-NPORA