SE or XE?

TeenZombie

1995 Nissan Pathfinder XE or SE, which do you like better?  

370 members have voted

1. 1. 1995 Nissan Pathfinder XE or SE, which do you like better?

• XE
    • SE

Ahardbody ran my VIN, came back as an XE. Stock Chrome wheels, no sport comfort switch, headrests are solid. No wires going to my shocks, radio antenna is not power. I figured this much after searching the other posts, just a special edition XE with a sunroof. Thanks though

If you have yours registered as an SE you might wanna call your insurance and tell them it's an XE. I know my SE costs more to insure than my XE does/did.

• Like 1

I am shocked SE is getting over one third of the votes. Who wouldn't want the upgrades?

I couldn't care less about the shocks. The 2 nice things I like about my SE over an XE is the sunroof, and the "softer" interior.

Uhm... do you mean you're shocked XE is getting over one third?? or? lol.

I am shocked SE is getting over one third of the votes. Who wouldn't want the upgrades?

Who cares, but hears a bite of info, for the price of a wd21 new in 95 a base model xe was like 25k at the end of the year. A full size v8 powered Silverado, F150 XLT or Dodge Ram Larame were all around 20k or less. These trucks were bought new by soccer moms and yuppies.

I couldn't care less about the shocks. The 2 nice things I like about my SE over an XE is the sunroof, and the "softer" interior.

Sun roofs could be dealer opt'ed in any model truck. My XE has a Dealer installed Power Sunroof that looks a 1000 times better then the factory ones and it doesnt leak plus has the power to rip through ice build up.

You could change the seats out for even factory leather ones.

• Like 1

Uhm... do you mean you're shocked XE is getting over one third?? or? lol.

Yes. XE.

I guess if someone factored in the higher cost of the SE, it might make sense.

• 2 months later...

Sun roofs could be dealer opt'ed in any model truck. My XE has a Dealer installed Power Sunroof that looks a 1000 times better then the factory ones and it doesnt leak plus has the power to rip through ice build up.

You could change the seats out for even factory leather ones.

The custom installed sun roofs are indeed way better than factory ones. I saw some like that at the junkyard thinking they were later model OEM power sun roofs but apparently not.

• 4 months later...

This topic started with what do you like better 1995 SE or XE Pathfinder. I still have my 95 SE bought new in early 1996. I had an 88 XE which I traded in.

The XE was impossible to drive on washboard gravel roads which we still have lots of in back country in Alberta. The rear end would just wander diagonally across the road, even when the truck was fully loaded and pulled a 250 lb tongue weight camp trailer.

So lets say I traded mainly for the better ride. The SE came with all sorts of stuff I had no use for. I test drive with the factory giant alum wheels, nearly drove into a wall because the dealers parking lot was not the size of an airfield, which seemed necessary for the vehicle's 100ft. radius to make a U-turn. I had them take off these wheels and put on the same ones I had on my '88. Then we adjusted the wheel turn stops, so now I can U-turn in less than 50 feet. Main reason: I often drive on seismic cutlines in the woods, which often become dead end traps where you want to turn around in less than 8 ft width with timber all around. It would take forever with a larger turning radius.

Next I had them take all the decorative nonsense off, it had plastic fender guards, just the things to break off in tight bush and get sand into the joints that will wear out the fenders in no time. Then there was the front end "brush guard" and the "protective" step rails, I know from experience that these greenhorn features only guarantee to catch fallen branches and then drag the whole dead tree into your trucks front or side. Well I ended up paying $5000 less because of my desire for a more backwoods worthy truck.

Its been really good to me, never got stuck even in deep snow. I never shovel my driveway just pack it down, (my neighbors and got 6 ft. tall snow banks on both sides). I set up the passenger seat as a bed when I am out for big game. Love the truck. Seldom use the roof hatch.

Edited by Canuck

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I voted for XE, but here's why... I wanted the fewest power gismos as I could find, but still wound up with power locks, windows, mirrors. Tilt wheel, cruise control and AC that it has are important in my book... Ok, so be it, it WAS in good shape with low miles and has the rear tire carrier, window defroster and LSD that I wanted. Complaints are no roof rack (about to install a factory unit), no oil pressure gauge or volt meter (will install aftermarket) and no grill guard but that would just be smashed now anyway. Other than running boards (useless and I have Smittybilt nerf bars waiting installation) it may as well be an SE... The lines between are very blurred and I have managed to purchase/obtain the 'upgrade' parts for about $300. So whats the difference, really ? Other than lower purchase price ? Not much. That said, if it was an SE for the same price/condition with LSD, I would have bought it. :shrug:

B

Ahem, You didn't mention the heated mirrors that clear up when you hit the defrost button! For myself I take great satisfaction in NOT having to manually wipe the mirrors dry, unlike the common folk of the XE! (insert effeminite stuffy titter here), I uh, mean I just really get a kick out of that! The first time I used it and realized my mirrors cleared up, I actually called my mom who has a 2nd Gen Toyota Highlander LE and told her.

Ahem, You didn't mention the heated mirrors that clear up when you hit the defrost button! For myself I take great satisfaction in NOT having to manually wipe the mirrors dry, unlike the common folk of the XE! (insert effeminite stuffy titter here), I uh, mean I just really get a kick out of that! The first time I used it and realized my mirrors cleared up, I actually called my mom who has a 2nd Gen Toyota Highlander LE and told her.

This was an option on the XE models as well, maybe it was standard on the SE. My original mirrors were heated, then after a run in with a tree that got in the way, I swapped in a non heated junk yard mirror. Now I just have to wipe the passenger side :blush02:

Nope, I didn't! Mainly because both my WD21 XE models have had heated mirrors.

Both were from back east so maybe it was more common there? :shrug:

It was pretty funny one morning when I told my wife that her 2004 didn't have the the heated mirrors my 95 did... :D

B

• 1 month later...

I retract my previous statement after reading some of the posts on here i became curious and did vin check i do i infact own an se even though my rear hatch says xe i assume it was replaced at some point

Pointless. This question is like asking "Do you prefer white or brown?".... Its all gravy to me.

These trucks are as common as fleas on a dog. If yours is missing a feature, find it and install it.

The only factory option that I miss on mine is the rear diffuser. I hate using that damned wiper all the time. :P
I'll get one when I replace the lift gate... someday.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

Xe my vote, I have all the electronic gadgets needed, locks,windows, and the what not's. I have a factory roof rack, rear tire carrier, wheel well flares, and a factory tow package, no need to worry about the interior to much, though I would like to have the leather seats. Air is cold and heat hot. No need for sunroof to start leaking on me when seals shrink. There's no different automatic transmission/engine/suspension package from xe to the se. So I guess why pay more for an se when the cheaper xe 4x4 performance is same as the more expensive se model. Just MY opinion though....this from the guy who has a fully loaded 04 Titan LE. 4x4 with tow package and the upgrades for the off road package...

Nissanland you just described my truck with three exceptions: Power adjust mirrors, Sunroof (which is completely useless) and the Economy / Power option...and maybe the front rear speaker / tweeter combo which I don't know if that was an SE option or not. How about the tachometer? Did all XE have a tach?

Mine also had the electronic suspension and fog lights...so the main SE options it seems were the Power shifting array, power mirrors, LSD, Sunroof, surround sound with tweeters, fog lights, electronic suspension, and I guess nerf bars?

Mine did have the bars at one time but they were broken off and gone when I got it. I don't know if it ever had the brush gaurd.

Yes mine has the power mirrors with heat, power/economy, fog lites, tachometer to, lsd included, all the extra speakers. Factory alarm/disabled though !! Hahaha, tilt wheel, BUT no rear window wing, but yes defoger.