New moderator suggestions?

88pathoffroad

We need another moderator. Or two or three. I can't keep up with all the posts due to home difficulties right now, Precise1 is on dial-up and has beer-drinking to do. So far, we just have MrJim, myself, Precise1 and Mookie as mods.

Post your nominations here, and NO POST WHORING, dammit. I will post a poll on the top nominations and have forum members vote on the nominees for a week after I have enough suggestions. If someone has a particular year or model in their area of expertise, feel free to nominate yourself...but don't do it as a joke or I shall be peeved. ;)

Thank you for your support! I appreciate every person here and welcome all new members and guests alike.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd nominate XPLORX4 to represent the R50s, but he's not on this board all that much, and I assume he has enough work on the AC board...

88, if you dont mind me asking, what exactly is expected from a mod? What would be the criteria to represent the board?

If you need help, let me know. I run an infopop board (http://calgdsm.infopop.cc/groupee), soon to be a vbulletin board, and am very familiar with the ins and outs of the moderator functions on invision, just a warning, i'll be lobbying heavily for my own forum for all my writeups. :rolleyes:

Edited by lowrider

I think the key here is to help out 88, Mookie and B as they seem to be stretched too thin across the boards. I know that 88 is having some troubles with his internet (or have you gotten that fixed up Aaron?), MrJim is rarely around to adminster anymore (hence 88s promotion to Admin), and B probably asked for a little help.

I've also noticed that in recent months, there has been a seeming onslaught of pointless, or repeat posts. I also noticed that there is more XOCing going on with some of the older members flaming or chastizing new members for posting questions that were asked months ago in an obscurely titled post that would never show up on the search. We are better than that guys...We're PATHY owners! :aok: If someone posts a question that's been answered before, instead of screaming USE THE SEARCH n00b!, post a link to the thread where it's been answered before, and give a couple quick words of encouragement. We have been getting a lot of new members lately, but many of them don't seem to stick around very long because of this. Maybe I'm not seeing it, but I review every forum here every day, so that's not it... I know that this isn't the place to put this rant, but maybe more moderating, or at least more responsibility on the part of the older members would help keep the newer members on board and sharing their stories, problems, and solutions.

VENGEFUL FOR MODERATOR `05! :lol: (Sorry, I had to do it!) :laugh:

I thought the moderators job was to just bitch at the asshats. Sheesh, didn't realize there was real useful work associated.

K9 for Moderator... NOT.

thanks for the support anyway.

what exactly is expected from a mod? What would be the criteria to represent the board?

That would be interesting to hear... ;)

B probably asked for a little help.

Nope, but could use it... If I wasn't so rushed, I could do a better job.

at least more responsibility on the part of the older members

Wow, thats never been suggested by the current Mods or Admin before, what a novel idea !! :crazy:

You make some good points V, but I don't see it being as bad as you make it out to be. A lot of people just come here when they need answers. Yes, just posting "search" is rather useless, rather post a link. Humor is fine, but if generally accompanied by pertenent information. I've seen EVERYONE be guilty of these issues. :shrug:

I believe we have had several recent posts from newbies praising NPORA as one of the best and friendliest sites on the web...

Funny how most of the people nominated (self or not) are the ones who need the most monitoring.

I haven't thought much yet about who would be appropriate; I may just stay out of it...

:gossip: -argue- pssd :furious: :sniff:

B

I dunno how many names you can add to a poll.. but why don't you post the 10 most liekly candidates, or the 10 the current moderators would like to see voted on as the best candidates? :confused:

Funny how most of the people nominated (self or not) are the ones who need the most monitoring.

In your eyes. Maybe that's because people like K9, Pezzy, and Vengful know a great deal, but realize that having some fun is important too (I fall into the second part of this, as I like fun, but don't know that much). Also, it could have to do with the idea that given their personalities, they wouldn't "over-moderate" to the point of making this place less appealing to those who keep coming back, keep providing answers, and keep the "morale" up. I agree with Vengeful that the older members here have to take it easy on the n00b's, and I think for the most part we do. Once in a while we get a little cranky, and for those of us who've been around a while, it's no big deal, but for someone new, it can set a bad example. We generally treat people well here, and we wouldn't want someone new to think differently.

Just my $0.02CDN

:aok:

Hence I asked what exactly does the "job" entail.

What do the mods do?? How are they to conduct themselves on the board? Most of it is pretty obvious I assume... but what dont the rest of us know about it?? I know on SOXC the mods get a lot of slack - simply because they're mods, people seem to forget that they are human, they make mistakes, they dont know everything, they have opinions...

I think that in general most of us "regulars" want to be able to help keep up the good name of NPORA, keep it clean, informative & welcoming and of course, have fun too...

I dunno... 88, maybe you can offer some input? WHAT DO YOU WANT FROM US!! hehe :)

I agree with everything that's been said so far concerning the board and its state of affairs. There is no doubt in my book that we are one of the friendliest, most welcoming Model Specific boards on the `net. Just look at the Newbie Introductions forum...each thread has 15+ posts in it welcoming the person...I think that is fantastic! :clap:

However, in regards to those members who just come here when they need help, I don't see anything wrong with that. There are plenty of us here to help everyone out all the time, but we can be a little short with those members.

I don't remember where I was going with this.... :crazy:

But I, too, would like to know what the "Job Description" is...

I don't remember where I was going with this.... :crazy:

But I, too, would like to know what the "Job Description" is...

:clap: I think you forgot the part about

VENGEFUL FOR MODERATOR '05 ;)

I know on SOXC the mods get a lot of slack - simply because they're mods, people seem to forget that they are human, they make mistakes, they dont know everything, they have opinions...

Often they presented their uneducated and often incorrect opinions as facts. Sorry but many times I got quite pissed when I saw some of the drivel being spewed out on that board.

As to this board,

Mod status shouldn't be based on post count or loudness on the board but experience with trucks and wheeling.

Pavement pounders need not apply, this is after all the Pathfinder OFFROAD Association.

PS. Shouldn't Offroad actually be Off Road? sly

Edited by Filthy Luker

I completely agree with what Luker is saying, but also, moderators should have some experience with the board. How effective could a moderator be if (s)he has never worked a message board before?

Then again, the moderator could always be e-trained in the inner workings of the moderator control panel and the moderation functions of the IPB (which I might add is extremely similar to phpBB, as phpBB is based loosely off IPB).

:shrug:

Edit: Yeah, I can't spell this early in the morning. Where's my coffee?

Edited by vengeful

Mod status shouldn't be based on post count or loudness

I agree 100%

However I see a mod as a person to watch over the boards for offtopic posts, lost threads, to step in during flame wars, help newbies find their way around ...crap like that.

Why does a mod have to be an offroad or pathfinder expert? I agree, that's a great asset... but it's not what I think makes a mod, a mod. *shrug*

what do I know, im just a loud post whore. :mellow:

Mod status shouldn't be based on post count or loudness on the board but experience with trucks and wheeling.

I agree with the first 1/2 but not necessarily the second. As Pezzy pointed out, the main function of a Mod is to assist in the workings of the board. Technical knowledge is a boon, but anyone with it can post their info without a Mod status.

I think it is more important that the person has free time to spend on the board, is patient, consistant, can organize and has people skills. Well, looks like I just talked my way out of a job... ;)

Oh, the person(s) should certainly know the board and have been active for a while, but the tools available for a Mod are fairly basic and not dificult. I figured things out by poking around with them for a couple of hours. Anyone who is used to computers wouldn't have any problem.

B

I agree with the first 1/2 but not necessarily the second. As Pezzy pointed out, the main function of a Mod is to assist in the workings of the board. Technical knowledge is a boon, but anyone with it can post their info without a Mod status.

I think it is more important that the person has free time to spend on the board, is patient, consistant, can organize and has people skills. Well, looks like I just talked my way out of a job... ;)

Oh, the person(s) should certainly know the board and have been active for a while, but the tools available for a Mod are fairly basic and not dificult. I figured things out by poking around with them for a couple of hours. Anyone who is used to computers wouldn't have any problem.

B

*snickers* and anyone with cable internet (or clearwire like yours truly) would be even better off.....

Hmmm.... I spend a lot of time here.... nahhh.. no way..... nope. *bangs thought out of her head* :blink: