I saved a fellow Pathy over the weekend...

TrailChaser

We went to the beach both days this weekend. On the second day I was watching some rich dipstick in a new land rover driving in the water and cutting donuts, so when we where leaving for the day I saw about 5 trucks and what I thought was that same guy out in the water with waves crashing on the back of his rover.

When I got closer I noticed it was a R50 pathy stuck BAD out in the water with about 8-9 guys standing around watching and not helping at all. I walked out to it and the back tires where pretty much buried in the watery sand. I told the guy I probly wouldn't be able to get enough traction to pull him out. That's when I found out the guy doesn't speak english. I don't speak spanish, so instead of standing there watching this guys truck go down with the rising tide like everyone else, I walked to my pathy and got the strap out. I just hooked it up to his pathy and put it in N for him and tried to tell him to LEAVE it in N. I'm pretty sure he was drunk -alcohol- which was probly how he ended up in the salt water in the first place. Anyway, I lock my hubs and drop'er down in 4wl then pulled the guy right out with no problems. I was quite impressed, but I think all the people watching where disappointed. They all got in the trucks and drove off without saying a word. I spoiled there fun I guess.

The guy was VERY thankful.... I think he thanked me in about 4 different languages just to make sure I got it. I tried to tell him to wash his undercarrage when he gets home so it doesn't rust but I don't think I got the message across.

It was a better day than the day before. I got high-centered on a shell bank... That's what I get for goosing it on loose shells. I got it off after shoveling out most of the shell and having 3 other guys push the pathy backwards off the bank.

I almost had to be pulled by a Phord. :hide: It was a fun day tho. I didn't find any big shells this weekend.

Sorry, no pics. I really need a GOOD d-cam.

Good job Bud ! A little help goes a long ways sometimes... I wish people would remember that. That truck would have been a total loss if you or someone like you had not happened by ! I thank you for them again.

B

Awesome! Good to hear about other people helping out total strangers. I try to do it as much as possible, if I see somone in need and have the time to stop.

On another note, I've been wanting to go out on the beach, but...... I have a stock (for now) R50, and don't want to get stuck!

Well done and good job. I hope you don't take a risk like that again in future. :nono: He should have been in gear and driving it as you pulled. :aok: The reason for that is to ease the load on your car and to lesson the chance of you becoming bogged also. :cool2: You seriously risked being the next Pathy to bob up and down in the ocean with him. -thnkboutit- Again, well done. :clap:

Thats the Way! Right on Man. I work with a lot of ESL (English as a Second Language) people as I rent to them while they go to Niagara College. When they first arrive it's the worst. Nobody knows what the hell anybody's saying. I find that Real Obnoxiously BIG Great Hand jestures go the distance if this happens again. :P Real nice of you to lend a hand to a fellow Pathy. Now if it was a Land Cruiser perhaps you would have left him to make one hell of a Coral Reef. :X

Dowser

Thanks for the kind words.

V6,

I ALWAYS have people put their truck/car in N when pulling them out... That way you don't have to worry about them slamming into you when they get traction. I've seen it happen more than 10 times while growing up on the beach... Most of the time when people get stuck on the beach it has alot to do with a beer or 12. I'd rather not be able to pull someone out then get hit trying to help.

Even if I did bog down trying to pull him out I could get out as long as the frame/diff isn't touching the ground. Shovels work wonders in times like that. Two scoops from the front or back of each tire and you're out as long as you're in 4wd.

Dowser,

I'd have probly tried to pull it out even if it was a Land Rover... I'd hate for one of those things to pollute the beach because the owner is not-so-smart. I'd probly have to give the guy hell about it first tho. :D

To everyone reading... Tell all your friends. Do not drive in the water at the beach... Not even a little bit... It's salt water... It WILL make your truck rust in places you wouldn't believe.

Only reason I wrote that is because I see SOOO many people doing it, and it's usually someone in a 4wd ford or chevy. :crazy:

I do however love crossing fresh water in my pathy. I don't know why, it's just a cool feeling. B)

Thanks for the kind words.

V6,

I ALWAYS have people put their truck/car in N when pulling them out... That way you don't have to worry about them slamming into you when they get traction. I've seen it happen more than 10 times while growing up on the beach...

The idea for the bogged person is not to rev the sh!t out of the motor, it is to help with momentum and to match your speed. Even if what you are pulling can not gain traction, by having the wheels at least spinning, it displaces sh!t that IS built up in front of the wheels. It also takes a hell of alot of stress off your car and recovery gear. If you have seen people getting hit by cars being recovered, then their snatch straps, cables, winches or ropes are way too short. How long were these ropes or whatever they used to do the recovery when you saw them hitting the recovery car? Next you'll tell me that they used their tow bars and or tow balls as fixing points. It's comon sense!

By pulling an object that is not moving or at least trying to move you risk.....

1. Getting stuck yourself.

2. Snapping the device you are pulling with. (I have broken snatch straps before when recovering people; they were stuck that bad!)

4. Braking something on the car to be recovered, or wosre

5. Braking something on your car. IE: CVs, axles, diffs or even gear boxes (in a Pathfinders case).

I have seen many recoveries, I have pulled people out of boggs and been pulled out myself, but I have never seen even a near miss whilst doing it. I know recoveries can go wrong, and for all the reasons under the sun. 99.99% of the time it is a persons own fault that injury or damage to propert happens. Why, because they don't use the thing between their ears.

You have got away with doing it like that so far I suppose, so why change now? I do think that it is only a matter of time before you regret not doing it correctly though.

The likelihood of breaking a Diff on a Pathfinder is extremely minimal. The H233b is substantially larger and stronger than a Dana44. The torque required to break the R&P or even half-shafts in an H233b rear end would be comparable to a built V8.

You are 99,999,999x more likely to burn up a clutch than break a gearbox, too.

If he feels more comfortable pulling out a vehicle while it is in neutral, the more power to him. In his experiences, that's what's worked best for him. Your experiences may be different. You also have to remember that the terrain in Australia is very different from that here in the states.

I agree with you.

I was only using examples of brakages. There are other things I could have added that were more likely to happen but I like to scare monger. :D

When I refered to the diff I was talking more about the front diff. I have done equal amounts of recoveries that have been nose to nose, nose to tail or tail to tail.

As for the clutch. I only ever use it to sellect reverse or first gear and to take off. After that I don't use it, no, not even to change up or down. And I never ever ride the clutch either. That said you are correct. The clutch would go first in a one off situation 99,999,999x of the time. Don't forget he does it that way 'every time'. The chances of failure with his box under load would be adding up.

I did also say why change what's been working for him too. :beer:

I was only trying to save him from damaging his car or getting stuck, on the off chance he didn't know what we know.

A bogged car is a bogged car. It doesn't matter what side of the pond you are on, the recovery procedure should still the same.

Well you must also make sure that the person you are pulling out knows what the hell they are doing unlike my friend who did this to my pathy.

ouchsmall.jpg

This case their was 30 feet of strap between us and he was on teh gas for WAAAAY too long. Mostly driver error on his part. I was in the recovery vehicle. I agree with Vsicks. Having the stuck vehicle try is alot easier on the recovery vehicle. ONLY if the stuck driver knows what he is doing.

Well you must also make sure that the person you are pulling out knows what the hell they are doing unlike my friend who did this to my pathy.

ouchsmall.jpg

This case their was 30 feet of strap between us and he was on teh gas for WAAAAY too long. Mostly driver error on his part. I was in the recovery vehicle. I agree with Vsicks. Having the stuck vehicle try is alot easier on the recovery vehicle. ONLY if the stuck driver knows what he is doing.

He had 30 feet, about 10 meters and he hit you? I would have dragged him out of the car a punched his head in.

unlike my friend who did this to my pathy.

Well, thats pretty much case and point to what TrailChaser was saying... Sorry that happened 4wheeler !! While I wouldn't go so far as V6, I'd still be rather pissed off !! :furious:

B

Well, thats pretty much case and point to what TrailChaser was saying... Sorry that happened 4wheeler !! While I wouldn't go so far as V6, I'd still be rather pissed off !! :furious:

B

Think about it B. 30 feet! Lets get it into perspective. How fast would you going while being pulled out of a bog? Not very fast at all. In fact you would probably be in low 1 or 2. You can only go as fast as the car pulling you until you are out. Correct me if I am wrong but that would be bloody slow wouldn't it? Think about it somemore. It just doesn't add up. It had to be a deliberate act. Had to be. With 30 foot of distance between you at not much over a brisk walking pace, even the most horrendous driver could not crash into you. There is no way know. I can not imagine it anyway.

I say the guy was lucky I didn't have an axe! P...

Good point V6, I was assuming the person ramming me was my friend. If that were the case, I'd just present him with the bill after yelling and and some mild strangulation. If it were someone I just stopped to help, I'd probably fire a 12 gauge slug into their engine block for good measure.

Regardless, I agree. That is a totally inexcusable and completely stupid thing to do ! To even touch, much less do serious damage is incomprehensible to me... I think the possibility of alcohol being involved is great. Thats still not a good enough excuse !!

You don't have an axe ?? Need me to send one, I have several... ;)

B

That does seem VERY strange. I've got a 20' recovery strap, and have used it to pull all kinds of vehicles out of snowbanks, ditches.....etc. I've NEVER had anyone come even close to hitting my truck, and I would know, since I'm always recovering facing the other car. I don't have any rear attachment points....yet.

Sounds to me like someone wasn't paying attention, at all....like....fell asleep with their foot planted to the floor. P...P...

Good point V6, I was assuming the person ramming me was my friend. If that were the case, I'd just present him with the bill after yelling and and some mild strangulation. If it were someone I just stopped to help, I'd probably fire a 12 gauge slug into their engine block for good measure.

Regardless, I agree. That is a totally inexcusable and completely stupid thing to do ! To even touch, much less do serious damage is incomprehensible to me... I think the possibility of alcohol being involved is great. Thats still not a good enough excuse !!

You don't have an axe ?? Need me to send one, I have several... ;)

B

No axe. Bad back, can't use it. I do have a very good saw though but I wouldn't use it just in case I slipped and cut myself. :D

You have to be more alert off raod than on road at times. If he or she were stuck somewhere and pissed (drunk) you'd be doing them and other road users a favour by driving off and leaving them there. That said, I still can't see how something like that could happen.

I once Pulled a vehicle out of a mud hole that was no longer running and was blocking the mud hole. We put it in Neutral and a friend of mine got in to steer and what not. I pulled it out but with his momentum and no brakes since the vehicle was not running he ended up molesting my bumper. I got out and yelled at him say Why the F*#K didn't you stop? He yelled right back at me saying I F*#KIN Tried @$$HOLE, but it had no brakes! Needless to say was a funny day.

Dowser

Forgot to add that part. Yelled at him for that too, but he said he Cranked it. Low and behold I looked inside and it was cranked. Looks like that was not working either. Just pulled a vehicle with now way to stop that way, Unless it was the ol Fred Flintstone method.

Dowser

he claimed he locked them up but it didnt stop. I knew he was full of @!*% because he was on hard ground with weeds on top. I know if he hit the brakes he would have stopped. I was just on the gas for way tooooooo long. It reallly pissed me off and i still about at him about the whole ordeal The last time i pulled a guy out he was a tweaker and ran over my brand new 80 dollar tow strap on the ashpahlt!!! I forgot to mention he was a tweaker. I didnt realize how bad it was until i hooked up to his truck.

Edited by 4wheeler