Servicing my terrano

MiSh

hey guys sorry to pester you agian. Got everything i need to do a basic service to my car colant,oil,oil filter, fuel filter.

And was wondering if any one could give us basic adivice to do a service. Have never done one to any car before so i dont really know what im doing. I went to get a car manual but they dont make one for the turbo desiels.

any advice would really be appreciated :)

Well oil and oil filter are pretty much universal. My suggestion would be to pester a friend to come over and go through it with you, it's really basic and anybody should be able to do it. I'm sure that the turbo diesel engines are different but removing the oil filter on the v6 can be major pain in the neck. Not sure about the specifics for your vehicle but there's nothing to be scared of.

Here's a decent place to start:

About.com's Maintenance How-To's

There's a ton of info on the web about doing your own maintenance. Just do a quick Google search and you'll have tons of info at your fingertips. We'll be glad to answer any specific questions relating to the Pathfinders that you may have.

you will love changing the oil filter on the td27t.........

consider this a heads up - its hard to get to....... possible, just a pain in the a$$

also get a new air filter.

Edited by sw

Sw is absolutely correct on this one! Best way to get to the oil filter is thru the wheel arch. remove the rubber that is between the arch and the chassis rail and you will get the best access possible to it. remove your tyre as well if you want it to be even easier.

I have had my Terrano for 4 years, and yes the oil filter is a pain, also keep a good eye on the air filter if you do a lot of dusty roads cause the filter will fill up quickly, it sucks air from inside the left gaurd and seems to suck lots of dust,, i made up a manifold and fitted a donaldson pre cleaner, hardly have to touch the filter now, here is a pic of my pre cleaner

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v372/gre...GP1224Small.jpg

Greenbushy

sorry can't seem to get pic into post but the above is the link fro anyone interested

It is my second Terrano with TD27T, but I've never changed the oil-filter myself )) I just drive to the authorized Valvoline dealer, pay for the oil, and they change it for free... well, not for free I guess, the price of work is included in the oil price))

I use Valvoline MaxLife Diesel, semi-synthetic, as it is said in the ad, "designed specifically for diesel engines with singificant mileage" or something like that. The total price (approx. 8 litres of oil, an oil filter, and an air filter) is USD100. While they are changing oil, I am sitting nearby drinking coffee)))

The best tool for the ol filter is a special filter wrench that is a circular band or steel that slips over the filter and as you lever on the handle it tightens the band of steel onto the filter and locks so you can undo it.

Then there's the part of actually getting the filter out of the engine bay after you've taken it off.......

Make sure you do it some where you don't mind spilling oil on. You will get it everywhere!!!!!!

If ya want a pic of the filter wrench so you can track one down i'l get one for ya.

There really cheap and make the job so much easier!!!!

Pete.

PS,You have proper diesel engine oil for it don't you?? Not just ordinary motor oil!!!!