BallJoint annoyance

BigMike

pssd ive already replace 2 sets of balljoint boots, and they keep craking and letting dirt in. does any one know where i can get better boots? the only ones i can find around here is those cheap arse replacement ones that are thin rubber. any ideas? :shrug:

I wonder if there are rubber conditioners, or maybe even wrapping in some sort of tape or protectant. That rough that you've gone through them. I just replaced the upper ball joints whose rubber was ok, and just lost a CV boot, although that's with a front suspension crank, not-so-frequent use of 4 wheel drive, and 150K miles and 12 years of use (a 94 model built in late 93).

Mike i taking a guess and thinking your pathy is lifted??

i think the problem is the angle the bj is on not the rubber, some aftermarket correction arms, although expensive, would do the trick.

same principle as cv boots - when we lift our cars we put the cv joints on stupid angles and therefore greatly reduce the life of the boot

Edited by sw

well i have a lift but its a bodylift, my tbars are cranked all the way which i guess could be the problem. balljoints are pretty strait forward so i dont think i could have put them in wrong. maybe i should let the tbars down some. but i still dont see why they should be eating them so fast.

well i have a lift but its a bodylift, my tbars are cranked all the way which i guess could be the problem. balljoints are pretty strait forward so i dont think i could have put them in wrong. maybe i should let the tbars down some. but i still dont see why they should be eating them so fast.

yes but, if they didn't seat properly or pinched the rubber you'd have those results too..

Are the ball joints sitting at an angle? Mine were probably 20-30 degrees off center with the Tbar lift and stock UCA's, but are pretty much straight up and down with aftermarket arms. Personally, after finally breaking down after years of hearing people talk about it, I think its worth the bit over $200 for new UCA's for piece of mind and properly functioning parts. Its really not hard to do either.

yep they are at an angle, this last set worked its way off, but the ones before were seated just fine. ive been wanting to get new UCAs but ive got this disease call being poor :P

BigMike,

I am having the exact same problem with replacement aftermarket ball joint boots and tie-rod end boots becomming perished and cracking then letting in dirt and water after only 1-2 years. They are basically @!*% quality rubber. In Australia there are only a few brands that do parts for a Pathfinder, most come from the same few factories in Chnia. Genuine Nissan upper joint is about $245 Au each so replacing cheap @!*% $45 joints every 2 years is still cheaper.

I believe that there are a few better brands such as NAPA and some replacement ball joint cover boots made of urethane not rubber from Energy Suspensions that might solve your problems, but I can't get either in Australia.

Good luck

Geordie