The Skid Plate is Done !

Precise1

Well, after much work, fitment and thinking I messed up a few times, the first prototype of the UHMW Anti-static Polyethylene skid plate is finished, complete with stand off blocks and hardware. Now I just have to go back to all my bar napkin notes, attempt to decipher them, measure, reverse engineer, and draw what I have actually made. :P

For a first effort, I'm very happy with it and if I had a decent place to work and made a few dies I could produce them fairly quickly and better. I'll probably do a write up on how to make them, but depending on if I decide to sell them, I may leave out dimensions and geometry. Sorry... :shrug:

This is the front skid plate for a WD21. I could make them for the entire underside; the front seems to be the hardest by far. Bear with the multiple posts for the pictures. I'll expand on the subject and move it to the 'How To' forum eventually.

Ok, this is what I started out with, then bandsawed the profile. The primary bend has been done and the holes drilled for the front mount. It is 1/2 thick and I used the anti-static UHMW PE as it is black to match the trim on my maroon truck. Too bad I'm just shipping this one off to someone for true fitment and field testing !

B

post-1-1127256933.jpg

These are all the 'tools' I used other than a few more pieces of 2x4, some bricks and a deck. The foil wrapped thing is a stone mortar as in mortar and pestle and was used to form the round reliefs along with the bottle jack. The stainless square tube was to help clamp and form an even bend. The sheet metal was used to shield the wood deck so i wouldn't burn the friggin place down. :P

post-1-1127257359.jpg

These last two are shots of it mounted on the truck for the final fitment. Note that the differential relief does not yet exist. This is when I determined there was about 1/2" interference so I put it in. That was actually helpful as it sits a bit higher now. Between the thickness of the plate and the required mounting blocks, about 1" of clearance to the front cradle/crossmember was lost, but I think it is worth it for the extra protection. Besides I prefer to have the lowest point up front; that way you are less likely to get 1/2 way past something, then start dragging !! :blink:

post-1-1127258170.jpg

Well MM, with the parts I have made and are making for you... I have another blank and can show you what/how to do it. Show up early one day with lots of beer and we may get it mostly done before you pass out. You still have to pay for material though... :D

Transworldmoto, yes, I believe it will stand against most anything. It's tough stuff, low grade used for cutting boards and the high grade I use is used for mining chutes and industrial conveyors. There is an article about someone using 3/8 material on a desert racer, and hitting hard enough to stop still. No real damage to the plate... We will see, my prototype will be sent out and be tested. Worst case scenario I can see it that the stock mounting bolts will need pilots or oversizing. I am confident otherwise.

B

Those are by far the best skid plates Ive seen for Pathfiners and some of the cleanest Ive seen on anything.

Finaly a material that isent flashy nor a finish that wont chip off, friggin awsome. If you do decide to make them, count me in, just be easy on my wallet.

B, it's beautiful work and looks great. My concern is how well uhmwpe does in tension. I know it does well under compressive loads but am concerned that it will fail under tension. One could imagine a scenario where a mid plate hit would put the mounting holes under tensile forces and they could crack. I HOPE I'M WRONG. Good luck !

Glenn: It'd still be far better than having no protection at all, don't you think? In reality, hard undercarriage hits are an uncommon problem if the driver can avoid reasonably any obstacles like that.

Nice work, B! That looks great. Can I have one? ...but in white? :D

Word to the wise, don't drink beer and nap in the evening or you will be up like I am !!

Er, thanks for all the praise folks. I guess I shouldn't mention that I thought it was a bit rough hewn... Although for prototype work I'm satisfied; there was a bit of a learning curve learning how to work the material. Seems like I should start making some due to the posts, but I want to wait till I get some feed back from the test pilot... A place to work would be helpful also !! I'm considering going with 3/8 material for the front skid and/or 1/4 for the under side. 1/2 inch seems like overkill from working with it and it would be cheaper material wise/labor wise. Still, the jury is out till I get some feed back.

Thanks for all the compliments !

Mr P. Yes, this material is slickery...

88. I can make you one, and white is cheapest (material wise) but may show torch scars more... :shrug: I have no idea. White is 'cheap', black is 15% more, blue is the toughest and 35% more.

Glenn. Your point is well made and is my biggest concern. Either the 6x1mm stock mounting bolts bend/shear, the PE disforms enough to allow the bolt to pull through, or (if there is a good washer on it) the material tears/cracks. My thoughts were to supply shouldered pilots for the bolt holes (expanding the force area and excluding washers while reinforcing the bolts to their shear strength), or a metal reinforcing sleeve for the entire mount area. I believe it would take a serious hit to damage the mounting points, only a fool (like me) runs at immovable objects !!! Time will tell, and thats why it is a prototype about to be sent out for abuse.

Here is a link to the stats on the basic material. Unfortunately, I'm not an enginerd so some of it is lost on me...

http://www.par-group.co.uk/plastics.aspx?page=566

Thanks for the input, don't be shy !!

B

:clap: :bow:

Great work Precise1!!!!

:shrug:

What's the price on that? If not too bad, I would love to have one and if you could check out the shipping cost for me....Des Moines, Iowa 50322.

Thanks for your hard work and effort for everyone!

:beer: