Problem with my 4wd, lever won't go back to 2wd

Guest Jerm

On the way to work it was raining really hard this morning and after the first stoplight my tires spun a little in 2wd. I thought this would be a good time to see how 4wd would feel so at the next light i put it in 4 Hi and all tires grabbed nicely. I pull into work a couple blocks down the road, stop and go to switch it to 2wd and it won't go. I can go down to 4-Lo and back to 4-hi but not back to 2wd. I didn't try to go anywhere since I had to get into work but I'm worried that something is broke. Good thing I got that extended warranty. Any ideas on what's wrong? When I test drove the car it went in and out of 4wd just fine.

Okay I just went out and fiddeled with it for a second. the lever does go back and forth from 2h - 4h but the 4h light stays on on the dash. I was just able to put it in reverse and back up a few feet and pull back forward, the light is still on. Hopefully after I get it out on the street the light will go back off.

Well now I know better about the 4wd on this truck, didn't know it was so sensitive. Looks like I'll only use it when it's snowing and icy here. Could I have done any damage during those 3 blocks of driving, I did turn into our parking lot with 4wd on. I did stay under 40 mph the entire time.

Your light should go out after a couple mins of regular driving once you put it back in 2wd... you dont have to reverse to unlock the hubs or anything (I know they have to do this in the Xterras)...

I dont recall for sure - but I believe you should be good in 4hi @ 40mph... I think I keep it under 60km/h - which is roughly the same.

you may not have to back up to desingage but it's better that you do.

ok, my turn for a question...

I didnt think I had to back up to disengage the hubs, as on the R50 they are always engaged.

(I might be using the word "engaged" wrong... but I cant think of another word)

ok, did a search - this is what I am refering to (in bold):

Your truck comes with full-time hubs or "drive flanges" that set the entire front drivetrain in motion whenever the truck is moving, no matter what mode the transfer case is in. This is what allows you to "shift on the fly" into 4WD at speeds up to 50mph. (Mechanically, it doesn't matter what speed you're going, but you probably shouldn't be going over 50mph if you're feeling the need to shift into 4WD anyway.) Although the front drivetrain always turns, it basically "freewheels" unless 4WD is engaged. Naturally, a constantly-spinning, but unpowered drivetrain will negatively influence fuel economy, too.

In comparison, the Xterra does not have full time hubs - and they have to be engaged & disengaged, hence my Xterra friends have to back up when we hit the roads again... ??

Am I way off base here?

Nope, Pezzy, you're completely on base. The thing is, that a transfer case can bind if it's been used on dry pavement, or a non-slip surface, and sometimes, it won't dissengage for a while until the binding/windup releases.

No Pezzy, you are exactly correct.

With the flanges, or even manual locking hubs, there should be no need to back up to disengage 4WD.

HOWEVER, the drivetrain has to be slacked in order for 4WD to disengage.

I do this by shifting the transmission into neutral and letting the truck roll back or forwards a few feet, the light usually always turns off.

Another way to do this is if you're already in motion, you can completely let off the throttle and allow the truck to coast for a while, this works for me as well.

The green dash light that turns on when you are in 4wd no longer illuminates on my dash when 4wd is engaged. Its been that way for a couple of years now...it would just be nice to have that light back.

Anyone know the best way ?

Either that, or the switch that tells the light to turn on is shorted out...could have lost a wire somewhere.

Electrical problems are a PITA to track down.

Yeah, I've just been lazy about it. But it would be nice to see that nice soft green icon... :(

another question for you guys. you guys seem to know your stuff. i just got my '97 qx4 (again, practically a pathy). never had to use 4wd as i live in california, but plan on doing so for this upcoming snowboarding season up in lake tahoe. i have tested out 4wd via the switch knob which has 1)2wd, 2)Auto 4x4, and 3)Lock 4x4. but never have i been truly able to use the 4x4 shift lever. i've read the manual to try and figure out how to use it, and i've been successful in switching the lever into 4Lo...but what is the procedure to switch it into 4Hi? and do you guys have any special "tips" on how to shift into and out of 4Lo & 4Hi? Sorry if these questions are stupid or redundant in this forum, but i'd rather find out how to do such things from previous and current owners of pathies and qx4's rather than screwing up the drivetrain.

thanks in advance,

quissy

yea...i was thinking the same thing....apparently the knob is part of the same automode 4wd system that came from the nissan skyline (so i've heard). below is a picture of a 1997 qx4 center console (not my actualy vehicle, i just don't have a picture on hand...nevertheless, still the same)...note the knob at the bottom left of the center console, and of course the 4Hi/4Lo shift lever to the left of the automatic tranny shifter.

467792_6_full.jpg

Edited by QuismO

auto starts off in 2wd (rear wheels as drive wheels), but as soon as the computer senses a loss of traction, it automatically engages in 4wd. Lock setting on the knob is to set the drivetrain in 4x4, at all times, locked differential? sorry i don't really know auto parts too well, just a jist of everything here and there. the following is copied from a website on the infiniti qx4:

Every Infiniti QX4 comes equipped with All-Mode 4WD. This unique system provides a superior driving experience on pavement and off, utilizing all-wheel drive technology derived from Nissan’s world-class Skyline GT-R sports coupe, rather than traditional truck-based systems. The QX4’s All-Mode 4WD was designed to instantly distribute torque to the front wheels (up to 50 percent can go to the front wheels on demand) resulting in optimal traction with improved fuel economy and enhanced cornering capability.

The heart of the All-Mode 4WD mechanical system is a wet multi-plate clutch in the center differential. Managed by an advanced computerized electronic control unit, the multi-plate clutch precisely and instantly allots the right amount of torque, as conditions warrant, to the front and rear axles. A 4-Lo position has been added to the All-Mode selector dial (rather than a separate lever).

Note that the 4-Lo position on the knob mentioned at the end of this paragraph was only added to newer versions of the qx4...i believe that the '99 maybe '98 and older don't have that feature.

so i guess i should that the lever can work independently from the knob. if that's the case, i know that i should put the auto shifter in N, and then shift into 4Lo quickly...now how do i shift into 4Hi? probably easy as pie to you guys, but for me, a new owner, it's not something that i want to attempt without knowing as i'm sure i'll probably end up damaging something. any insight would help. thanks!