Anyone have Sylvania Silverstar bulbs?

findmypath

I put a pair of silverstars in my pathy's high-beams. The lights aren't brighter than regular halogens, but they're bluer. It's merely a matter of preference; do you want bright and yellowish or bright and bluish?

NOOOOO!!!! Stop buying this crap! Silverstars are CRAP! There, I said it. Any bulb that costs $20 each and is tinted with a blue coating that reduces the life of the bulb to less than a year is retarded. Look online at the OSRAM Silverstar, it is the Euro version that is waaaay better. Much more light output, acclaimed by the press. These bulbs are the ticket. I have had several sets of the Sylvanias and they are crap. I finally wised up and bought Philips Vision Plus, a bit worse than the OSRAMs but no biggie. I wish I had the OSRAMs though.

This has been discussed before. Check this web site for more info:

Daniel Stern Lighting web site

Silverstars are a waste of money. They look "bright" because of the filter that is on it, it tricks the human eye into thinking they see better because it is "brighter". The human eye needs the full spectrum of light to be able to see properly.

They're actually not crap, and it certainly hasn't been "proven"... I've always spent a lot of time researching purchases like this, and the Silverstars do the job well.. Are they as good as the Euro version? Not even close. Are they better than most of what you can buy here? Definitely. Lighting needs also depend on what kind of driving you are usually doing. If you're going to be in a high-fog/high-moisture environment, a white light is not ideal, you're better off with a less intense color. But for what I do here, they're great.

The bulbs also aren't tinted. In fact, the bulbs that come with the IPF 900MSRs are more blue-tinted than these. They're a step past the XtraVision bulbs that I used to use. So do your research before bashing stuff like this. If you'd like to refute me, please do. But I'd love to see some proof (comparison, numbers, etc.)

I've had them before...I think they are excellent bulbs. I was too broke to buy another set when they finally burned out after almost 2 years, so I bought a set of "standard" halogen light bulbs, and the difference is night and day.

With the Silverstars, the light projection was not necessarily improved any, but it was a much more even coverage. There are dark spots with the bulbs I have now (cheapie bulbs). When these burn out, or I get tired of not being able to see, I'm going to get another set no doubt. :aok:

In my 88 crx i have ran sylverstar bulbs for 2 years now an have yet to blow any of them...what usually turns out is that people are touching the bulb and that doesn't shorten the life, that ends the life!! they will blow up in your housing if you are not careful in avoiding touching the bulb...more testimony?

wifes altima---1 year and 3 mos no probs at all

---my pathy---1 year other than one that i touched during a harness swap...that of course did blow up despite my effort to use the old t-shirt polishing cloth method. :wacko:

I added new heavier gauge harness to my pathy and set up the dual relay system for hi's low's and fog's---thus they are getting more power and have not gave an inch

• 3 years later...
NOOOOO!!!! Stop buying this crap! Silverstars are CRAP! There, I said it. Any bulb that costs $20 each and is tinted with a blue coating that reduces the life of the bulb to less than a year is retarded. Look online at the OSRAM Silverstar, it is the Euro version that is waaaay better. Much more light output, acclaimed by the press. These bulbs are the ticket. I have had several sets of the Sylvanias and they are crap. I finally wised up and bought Philips Vision Plus, a bit worse than the OSRAMs but no biggie. I wish I had the OSRAMs though.

are the OSRAMS that much of a difference? will their output burn the wires? i seen few sets online going for $30-40 pair has anyone tried them?

i was gonna get piaa but so far been reading they die out fast

has anyone heard of the nightbreaker version it says 90% more light , i put an ebay link below, what u guys think, u think it would make a difference or would it be too strong n overheat my housing

ebay link with the bulbs

Edited by 02PATHFINDER

i was gonna get piaa but so far been reading they die out fast
so far my PIAA have lasted longer than the siver stars and the silver star ultras that I have tried b4. BUt if you really want longevity... I have a set of GE bulbs (not as bright) that I have been used for years and that same pair goes back in every time one of my other bulbs go out.

also, for less than the cost of the Piaa or a silverstar you can set up a direct battery relay that will also improve your lights as well as

Well, for starters, this thread is over three years old, and the person you're asking is no longer active on the forums.

Other than that, no, I cannot say definitively whether the Osram bulbs are better than the Sylvania. However, I will say this. They are owned and manufactured by the same company. The Sylvania Silverstars are designed and manufactured to meet strict U.S. DOT regulations; whereas the Osram bulbs are designed and manufactured to meet European DOT regulations. The Osram Bulbs do NOT meet U.S. DOT Regulations, and therefore are NOT legal for on-road use in the U.S.

Most of the light bulbs that you see on eBay, with the exception of the known brands, also do not meet DOT regulations, and are illegal for road use.

Food for thought.

I use GE Nighthawk's and they are very good, notably on the 01-04 headlight unit. The Pathies headlights, with the Nighthawk's, were the best low/high beam headlights I have ever had, except for the Cibe/Bosch 4 light combo on my 510 many moons ago.

My Subaru high beam with the Nighthawks is also very good but I have yet to find the right bulb for the low beam, so have to live with some poor lighting (comparatively) there.

And good one to revise a 3 year old thread, someone has done some searching......

everyone shutup. Silverstars are awesome. I cant believe someone would think that they are not brighter then stock bulbs. I saw a HUGE difference.

wow, who said they were bad? we're just discussing the options. and I said my PIAA's have outlasted my silverstars.