intermittent "miss" at stops

MidTex01GT

My wife and I both have noticed that occassionally there will be a "miss" in the motor when we come up to stoplights/stopsigns and the truck has been purring like a kitten since ownership. I recently put in some "fuel system cleaner" on my last fillup included with the gas. could that have some bearing on the occassional miss? It doesn't do it all the time, or when I am at steady highway speeds. Just stops.. :help:

Er, how many miles, time of last tune up, is it stock ?

I generally find fuel system cleaners to help, not hurt. What kind did you use ? Have you used it before ? How Long ago ? Could be crap is being removed and it is faking out the sensors. Could you have put too much in ratio wise ? More is not necessarly better.

B

I had a rough idle for a while in my 95, and I cleaned the MAF sensor, and it smoothed out my idle nicely.

If that doesn't work for you, I'd check the resistance on your spark plug wires, as well as check them for cracks/tears. Also check your plugs for any strange wear/buildup.

• 4 weeks later...

Had the same prob w/ my 88. Bought new plugs and all then saw how difficult it was to replace. Remember its 110 in Phoenix. Looked a little closer and had vacuum hoses off. One under the air cleaner and one behind it by the fire wall.

Good luck.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I cleaned the MAF filament and it helped it out a bit, but now I still am getting misses both at idle and under driving conditions. I probably will change fuel filter, plugs and wires in the next week or so and see if that clears it up.....

Which plugs/wires do you guys recommend? Any tricks to doing this repair? :hide:

High-quality plugs may last up to 120,000 miles, some lower-end plugs last 40,000 miles, it also depends on how hard the vehicle has been driven and the quality of fuel being used. If they haven't been changed in a while you could change all the plugs and get a new set of plug wires.

Edit: My engine was missing a while back and it turned out to be a worn out plug wire, the spark was jumping to the block.

Edited by madhatter_xe

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah it is getting worse now and more severe. What plugs/wires do you guys recommend for my 88 pathy? Something that we can get at a local parts store if at all possible. Autozone/O'reillys/Pars America.

Thanks for all your help guys! :D

• 3 weeks later...