dash lights out... no gauges... HELP!

Guest kb1jki

Guest kb1jki

the '95 manual transmission Pathy SEV6 did not start in the morning. returning to it later, the solenoid did not kick in, the interlock relay clicked with the clutch in or that switch was on, so it's a starter issue.

the starter was replaced; all dash lights that normally come on when the vehicle initally starts, or when the key is in the on position but the car isn't running, no longer light up. no gauges work, no juice to alternator! (Houston, we have a problem.)

it runs, head lights and turn signals function... :shrug: any ideas what happened? I think the interlock relay was unplugged, it's possible that something shorted plugging it back in maybe.

Guest 95path1153

similar thing happened to me. i just replaced my motor from drowning it and a couple of days after i lost all of my gauges. the wiring harness that goes to the tranny and starter melted on my exhuast. check out the whole length of those wires.

If you have ignition power but no guages...

There's a 60A black fusible link down behind your battery right by the tray... which is why it corrodes and falls apart. Cut that P.O.S out and mount a 60A thermal breaker on your fenderwall.

Clay :)

Guest kb1jki

holy crap you folks know these rigs! It's my Dad's truck; we'll see if it's the fusable link behind the battery or a wiring harness! (it does run, headlamps and directionals work -but dash and alternator... Nada!) thank you -all of you!!!

Eric

If you have ignition power but no guages...

There's a 60A black fusible link down behind your battery right by the tray... which is why it corrodes and falls apart. Cut that P.O.S out and mount a 60A thermal breaker on your fenderwall.

:huh: All the fusible links appear to be good- I noticed when the key is turned to where the idiot lights would come on there is a buzzing noise from the left drivers side of the dash- Could this be one odf those 3 rleays/breakers mounted just above the normal fuses?

All the fusible links around the battery (black, green, 4 brn in 1 connector and another brn in a seecond connector) were checked and are good- I have 12 volts on all the normal fuses (The wiring diagram seems to indicate if the link was blown, or the harness was NG I wouldn't have 12v on all the fuses..)

Is there a ground from the idiot lights I could have fried? :confused:

It may be your accessory relay above the fuses. If you still have signals... try your left and right signal... put your finger on the relay you'll feel it clicking. Then do your hazards... thats a separate relay. That will leave your acessory relay. On mine they're all blue... so I just swapped 2 of them around to check.

If that's not it... then your down to the (accessory) and (on) wire off your ignition switch, It powers that relay and makes it turn on, so if your getting a bad signal from from the ignition switch... nothing happens. If it barely lights a test light or makes it flash and act up.. the contacts in the switch are fried or filthy.

And like Grim said... there's a chance your rectifier on your cluster is fried. Clusters are pretty cheap from the wrecker.

• 1 year later...

im having the same problem and cant figure it out.. only gauge on mine that works is batt gauge speedo tach and the 2nd 1/4 tank fuel gauge. the actual fuel gauge doesnt.. same with all the rest of the gauges.. and no lights either. its confusing.. haha