2WD->4WD Conversion

SteeevO

My parents were the original owers of my pathfinder. while i was replacing bushings and installing new torsion bars, I realized that i have the 4WD front end ...just w/o the 4WD.

Where can i find parts for a complete 4WD system to convert my pathfinder to 4WD?

i have M/T...so i have to tear into the tranny or can i just add the transfer case right on?

thnx

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My parents were the original owers of my pathfinder. while i was replacing bushings and installing new torsion bars, I realized that i have the 4WD front end ...just w/o the 4WD.

Where can i find parts for a complete 4WD system to convert my pathfinder to 4WD?

i have M/T...so i have to tear into the tranny or can i just add the transfer case right on?

thnx

This post is no good without pics.

Take some pics and we can see whats missing. :) Include the gear box.

What do you guys need pictures for? All he needs to know is that somewhere at a junkyard there's the rest of the parts he needs, but it'll cost him more than it's worth to buy it all and install it. It's about that simple. It'd be just as easy to SAS it and go big, though you'd still have to buy a t-case and a front axle. I don't know if the tranny can be bolted to the t-case when it began as a 2WD configuration. Sorry.

These prices are from my local junkyard. Yes, I actually spent time looking all this up.

Transfer case: $300 (and no guarantee that it comes with a shifter, usually they toss 'em when they take the vehicle apart)

Front diff centersection with mounts, etc: $300

Two used C/V axles: $150

Front driveshaft: $100

Two used stock 4WD knuckles: (No price listed, but I can imagine $50 each minimum for 4WD knuckles)

Two used stock auto hubs: $75

Cutting a hole in your floor for the t-case shifter: You do it, it's free...

Center console to fit aforementioned hole in floor and shifter: You'd be lucky to find one, period. Broken or not, the right color or not.

And I have no idea which oilpan his engine has. Did they use a different pan for the 2WD models or did they all get the 4x4 oilpan?

You get the idea. I'm gonna relink the pics cause that's excessively huge, OK? Thanks.

wow, thanks for looking all the prices up.

i know this will be costly but i'd rather convert this pathfinder than get a entire new vehicle.. this one has been too good to me.. :D (we are the original owners and now has 336,000 on it!!)

what is SAS??(dumb ? but not used to the abrviations)

do i have to use auto lockers or can i put manual ones in?

also i was looking in the chiltons repair manual and it shows that all the hardbodys and pathfinders from 89-91(2WD & 4WD) with the VG30x engine use the same manual tranny which is the FS5R30A. therefore i am thinking i can use the same tranny and add the transfer case..?? :shrug:

i have the VG30E engine ....just for the record..

and i will resize those pic right now...

thnx

also i don't think the center console thing will be a problem as my stick comes through the floor in front of the center console with teh rubber boot around it...so i will just have 2 sticks side by side correct??

What do you guys need pictures for? All he needs to know is that somewhere at a junkyard there's the rest of the parts he needs, but it'll cost him more than it's worth to buy it all and install it. It's about that simple. It'd be just as easy to SAS it and go big, though you'd still have to buy a t-case and a front axle. I don't know if the tranny can be bolted to the t-case when it began as a 2WD configuration. Sorry.

These prices are from my local junkyard. Yes, I actually spent time looking all this up.

Transfer case: $300 (and no guarantee that it comes with a shifter, usually they toss 'em when they take the vehicle apart)

Front diff centersection with mounts, etc: $300

Two used C/V axles: $150

Front driveshaft: $100

Two used stock 4WD knuckles: (No price listed, but I can imagine $50 each minimum for 4WD knuckles)

Two used stock auto hubs: $75

Cutting a hole in your floor for the t-case shifter: You do it, it's free...

Center console to fit aforementioned hole in floor and shifter: You'd be lucky to find one, period. Broken or not, the right color or not.

And I have no idea which oilpan his engine has. Did they use a different pan for the 2WD models or did they all get the 4x4 oilpan?

You get the idea. I'm gonna relink the pics cause that's excessively huge, OK? Thanks.

Given that his post says or at least implies he has a 4wd front end, then the pics speak for themselves. By looking at the pics we now know he doesn't, does he. He needs all the parts not just some! There is nothing even close to a 4wd front on his fine looking Pathy. We would not have known this without the pics, this is why we asked for them. The rest is as you said.

A sas is a live axle in the front. I agree with 88 that it is a better option for you.

You might be better off buying another Pathy. One that has the chassis rusted away. Someone (sorry, forget who) posted a link to one here not long ago. All the running gear and body seemed to be fine and it was about $300. Just a thought.

So by SAS u mean just put in a straight axle off of something else??

wouldn't it be alot of guess work? and hoping things go together ?? if i were to just do the conversion wouldn't it be easier as i have a book to go by more or less?

i know pathy's are great even w/ 2WD but there are OHV areas are ound here that u need 4WD to get into...they won't let u in w/o it. as fot trails up in the mountains thats fine... it just getting into the designated OHV canyons...

also what would be the cost difference between SAS and just converting it to a reg. 4WD pathy?

also chilton's book shows that all the VG30i and VG30E engines use the same oil pan.

Edited by SteeevO

i just called the dealer and they said it is the same.

and about the shifter and center console... this is what it looks like so i don't think it will be a problem....

here is a pic

Center Console

Edited by SteeevO

The dealer is wrong.

Where does the extra 3/4 quart of oil capacity come from in the 2WD trucks? Also the oil and water pumps are different on 2WD and 4WD models. Also the transmissions are different.

Edited by Filthy Luker

Given that his post says or at least implies he has a 4wd front end, then the pics speak for themselves. By looking at the pics we now know he doesn't, does he. He needs all the parts not just some! There is nothing even close to a 4wd front on his fine looking Pathy. We would not have known this without the pics, this is why we asked for them. The rest is as you said.

A sas is a live axle in the front. I agree with 88 that it is a better option for you.

It's NOT a "4WD" front end, it's a 2WD front end. The parts are just very similar or the same. It wouldn't make much sense for Nissan to make totally different suspension parts for the two versions of drivetrains. Therefore, yes, he needs ALL the 4WD parts normally found on a 4WD.

With that high mileage, it's resale value is probably very low. Even so, how many people would pay much for a Pathy with 300,000 miles in 2WD form? If you really want a off-road performer that catches people's eye and can perform on demand, you'll want to find an offroad shop to strip the IFS off the front and weld in stuff to put a solid front axle in there. Lots of people have done it, and it's not as much of a guessing game as you may think. A reputable hardcore offroad shop with a fab facility should be able to do that with few problems.

i just called the dealer and they said it is the same.

and about the shifter and center console... this is what it looks like so i don't think it will be a problem....

here is a pic

Center Console

SAS = “Solid Axle Swap” or removing the entire IFS (Independent Front Suspension) which includes the drive components (if it's a 4X4 to begin with). You then replace those items with a solid axle assembly from another truck.

Depending on what you plan for this truck, I would say that if your going to do the amount of work required for either, in the long run a SAS would be your best bet. Off road you would most likely end up much happier with the solid axle due to the limitations of IFS.

But if you don’t have the tools and skill (or help from some one ho does) then the IFS might be best. I also agree with others that if you do decide to simply make your truck 4WD like any other Path out there, buy a truck with a blown engine, rusty frame or even smashed rear end… it would probably much cheaper than buying them piece by piece.

As for the shift boot, if you cut and hack that then you “might” be able to make room for a second lever and keep it looking decent. But, I would not count on it. You could also try and come up with some kind of custom one.

But this is what a 4WD shift boot looks like...

Edited by RedPath88

ok about this 4WD front end thing... when i went to get the aftermarket torsion bars they said they diddn't make them for the 2WD and i said give the me 4WD ones they are the same.. i know this because of the manual.. in the 2WD pictures in the book....the way the torsion bars mount are different for the 2WD ..many times when i am looking at the book i need to follow the 4WD directions and pictures because the 2WD simply is just different.

i am probably just going to put the nissan 4WD instead of doing SAS becasue i am in school full time student and $$ is a bit of a problem.. i don't need n e thing that will turn heads i just want a half decent 4WD system...

oh and i do have a center console...it just ends before it gets to the stick :D

this pathy is also my daily driver so all the conversion will have to take place during a break from school my longest break is 3 weeks and i figure if i have the new tranny and front diff and all the other goodies rebuild and ready to put in by the beginning of my 3 weeks break, i could have it done b 4 i get back to school.

ok about this 4WD front end thing... when i went to get the aftermarket torsion bars they said they diddn't make them for the 2WD and i said give the me 4WD ones they are the same.. i know this because of the manual.. in the 2WD pictures in the book....the way the torsion bars mount are different for the 2WD ..many times when i am looking at the book i need to  follow the 4WD directions and pictures because the 2WD simply is just different.

I think the confusion between people was just how each person was reading it...

I think some took your original post as the front diff was already there.

Others understood it as everything "but" the drive related components (drive shaft, diff, half shafts, hubs, etc) was there and the same as a 4WD model.

In the second case you are saying that all you would have to do is acquire the drive components and install them (Which to me, makes sense). As 88 mentioned, it does not make sense for Nissan to make two entirely different front ends for a truck that is otherwise the same thing.

And before anyone pipes up and say's "what about the 2WD HB?"... Well that's a different beast. The 2 and 4WD Paths afaik, sit exactly the same while from the factory the HB's do not.

So why make two different things when they can just "not" install a few items and they would have a 2WD version to sell. And yes I understand that some items may still be different.

Edited by RedPath88

sorry about the confusion. I should have been more clear the first time.

as for getting the parts... it's time to start making a list..... :hide:

i know i'm going to need a new tranny so i can so i can rebuild it and then have it when i swap everything out. my original thought was to tear it apart and add the transfer case. becasue the chilton's book sad it's the same tranny...but that way i think i will: 1. run out of time and 2 cause way to many headaches.

there are a few salvage yards that i have found in the last few days that i think i will be able to getthe majority of these parts

so the list...

thnx

Edited by SteeevO