What kind of oil do you use?

SC88Pathy

Well it's about time for me to change my oil and I was wondering what kind of oil everyone uses. I use Castrol GTX High Mileage 10w 40.

I was going to make this into a poll at first, but then I decided there are just too many different brands, mixtures, and weights of oils to effectively create a poll.

10-w30 weight is what Nissan recommends!

That's strange. The owners manual for my 95 recommends 5W30 for all climates. 10W30 is mentioned, but only above 0 degrees celcius. I use the Valvoline, or Quaker State high mileage, 5W30.

Exact same thing here...Castrol GTX High Milage 10w-40....man don't miss the filler neck on the valve cover that shish stinks!!!

Castrol is the only oil that i think smells burnt in the container, anyone else notice that??? I tried using full synth. but the old cam seals were dripping like crazy!!

Obviously, the year of the pathy will likely affect the recommended viscosity. As time goes on, manufacturing tolerances tighten and engineers can specify tighter fits between parts.

I've always been a big fan of Mobil 1. But with the way I use the Pathy (short hop commuting and driving in dirt) I decided I want to change oil every 2-3K miles to keep the contaminants in check. Changing Mobil 1 that often is big $$$. So back to dino oil. Castrol GTX, Valvoline, and Napa's private label are my favorites. Nice compromise between quality and availability...

In my '87, I've been running Valvoline 10w30. A very good oil and I got a case for about $8 on sale. Hard to beat that! But at 200K miles, tolerances have gotten a bit looser and I need to add 1/2 to 3/4 of a quart every 500 miles. Dumping in a quart of Lucas oil stabilizer reduced consumption dramatically, but that kinda undoes the $$ advantage.

So I'll probably just switch to 10w40 on the next case. Temps rarely get below 40 out here anyway.

Exact same thing here...Castrol GTX High Milage 10w-40....man don't miss the filler neck on the valve cover that shish stinks!!!

Castrol is the only oil that i think smells burnt in the container, anyone else notice that??? I tried using full synth. but the old cam seals were dripping like crazy!!

yea ive noticed that too.

i use castrol GTX HighMillage 10-w30 on mine

Castol Synthetic on the Sentra and Mobil 1 synthetic on the Ram

Castrol whatever dino stuff.... I just change it regularly as most of my driving is short distance... Any oil changed often is better than high tech run a long time.

B

10-w30 weight is what Nissan recommends!

That's strange. The owners manual for my 95 recommends 5W30 for all climates. 10W30 is mentioned, but only above 0 degrees celcius. I use the Valvoline, or Quaker State high mileage, 5W30.

So says the manual of mine.

I'm using syntetic Castrol Magnatech 10W40.

Edited by flnl

Well it's about time for me to change my oil and I was wondering what kind of oil everyone uses. I use Castrol GTX High Mileage 10w 40.

I was going to make this into a poll at first, but then I decided there are just too many different brands, mixtures, and weights of oils to effectively create a poll.

Same here!

I use QuakerState 10w-30 in the summer, and 5w-30 in the winter. Synthetic in the drivetain. 138k on a '96, the only leak is the front diff seal.

I have been using Valvoline 10w-40, but now the FINALLY came out with the Valvoline High Mileage stuff in 10w-40.. I have that to throw in this weekend, with my customary bottle of Restore. I used the high mileage oil in my S-10 which had 210,000 miles on it when I sold it and it still ran like new.

Has anybody ever found out "real data" on whether there truly is a difference in the high mileage oils? Oil is like soda - the corporate veil of "secret formula" secrecy rivals that of weapons research!

When they first came out, the initial objective tests couldn't detect any significant differences (other than the price of course!). This led me to be a bit sceptical of it being just another brilliant marketing ploy.

But I haven't done much research since. Anybody else do it?

Well it's about time for me to change my oil and I was wondering what kind of oil everyone uses.  I use Castrol GTX High Mileage 10w 40.

Same here!

That's all I want!

I've seen Castrol GTX High Mileage around here, but only 25W60. So I used Castrol Magnatech 10W40.

I'm gonna search more, maybe I can find the GTX High Mileage 10W40... Oil change time is coming... :rolleyes:

Just changed the oil a couple of hours ago. The Castol High Mileage stuff is very odorific, I noticed that this time. Also I want to punch whoever put the oil filter under the exaust and over the starter then put all kinds of wires and vacuum tubes to prevent you from getting a good turn with a slip joint wrench, and made it so you have to screw the oil filter on by feel! :furious:

Venting over.

On a positive note I also replaced the brass seal ring on the drain plug, so no leaks! :aok:

Also I want to punch whoever put the oil filter under the exaust and over the starter then put all kinds of wires and vacuum tubes to prevent you from getting a good turn with a slip joint wrench, and made it so you have to screw the oil filter on by feel!  :furious:

A perfect excuse to get a body lift... makes removing the filter a breeze. :laugh:

A perfect excuse to get an oil filter relocation kit like I did.. happy happy joy joy! Oh.. did I mention.. I change my oil religously every 3,000 miles.