I Have A Stowaway

DSM_guy

my pathy isnt my daily driver..it only sees action when i need it to (snow season or when the eclipse breaks down) so it sits alot. well, about a year ago i noticed rat pellets in my floor and seats on occasion. it kinda trailed off for a while. i put traps all over the car and never caught anything. well i got in it the other day, and was driving through a field. well the trim peice around my center vents is gone...so you can see down into the inner dash. well all the sudden i see a mouse poke his head up, look at me, and disappear back down into my dash! yup hes definately back. that was about a month ago. now my car smells like rat pee..i think. either that or he died. anywho. anyone know any way to get rid of this little bugger? i tried the baited rat traps, too smart for those. i do NOT need him in there chewing up all my wires. any suggestions would be great.

Lock a cat in there for a week ?? :unsure:

Try the old fashion wire spring trap baited with peanut butter and a poiece of dog/cat food. Just be careful, I snapped a rat trap on my thumb a while back. It didn't hurt a bit, it instantly went completely numb. Thought I broke it, but it started to work again after an hour or so. Thats when it hurt !! :furious: :o :P

B

Poisen will kill them, but they run off someplace else before they die (not very far, but they DO move). I do not think you want to risk having it die deep down your A/C vents. I had a friend's dad who got a rat in his Chevy Astro's A/C vent and it was a pain beyond belief to get out. The rat had gotten stuck inside and died.

I used glue traps in my garage about a month and a half ago. I caught three mice all on one glue thingie all in one night. Poor little fellas. It's real heartbreaking to watch them try and chew their feet off to get out. I had to use a pellet gun on them. I used one the next night (and it's still out there) but no mice. I haven't seen one since those three got caught.

Edited by wheelmanLS1

thanks guys. i tried the baited spring trap with gum, peanut butter, and cheese...no dice. i DONT wanna use the poision...for reasons stated above. locking a cat in the car...aint happnin heh. im in texas and its july. that thing will be dead in 15 minutes...even in the shade. so i guess glue traps it is. thanks again!

Yep, then glue traps, but those things are evil. Used them in my machine shop (cant have mice chewing on wires in a $50k mill). Came in one morning to find 1.5 mice on 1 trap. Seems the first ran most way across and got stuck, the second got glued right behind him. The second seemed upset as he chewed off the rear 1/2 of the mouse before him. It was plainly evident that this was done live; the first mouse didn't have its face glued down, and the second was panting and had a very bloody snout... I'm not squeamish, but that was just plain nasty ! Anything that produces canabalistic mice is bad in my book ! They do work, and the best scenario is that they do a face plant on the thing and suffocate...

B

get some cherry wood and smoke him out, it'll get rid of the pee smell. other than that i second the glue traps. our house was built where a forested/plains used to be so we get plenty of field mice in our garage. catch them suckers all the time.

i had the same problem once.. you'll need to get into your heat exchanger area because it's probably full of nest material = pee smell.. next time you park for extended times flip the air switch to recirculate... that shuts a little door in passenger's dash/outside vent area and keeps vermin out..

:idea:

thanks for the tip! where is my heat exchanger?

under the glove box in the passenger's footwell... look in the shop manual.. it was kind of a hassle but not that hard to do... mine was packed full of junk and i mean full.. had hardly any air circulating...