Excessive Heat In Cab Area

cupples95

:shrug: I have been having excessive heat coming from the transmission area inside the cab. After driving for a while, the heat comes from the 4 wheel drive shifter and the console area. Is this heat coming from the transmission and if so what does it mean? Do I need to install an aftermarket tranny cooler?

PS : Sometimes you could roast a weiner on the Shifter (Ouch!!) :P

95 SE V6 Auto Transmission, 140000 miles.

It could be your tranny overheating or it could be your 4x4 lever boot is busted. Under the leather cover for the 4x4 shifter is a rubber boot, if this boot is thorn, it will get quite hot around the consol area. I replaced mine and it made a world of difference. Pretty easy to check, there should be two snaps that hold the bottom to the carpet. Just unsnap and check the status of the boot underneath.

Denis

It could be your tranny overheating or it could be your 4x4 lever boot is busted. Under the leather cover for the 4x4 shifter is a rubber boot, if this boot is thorn, it will get quite hot around the consol area. I replaced mine and it made a world of difference. Pretty easy to check, there should be two snaps that hold the bottom to the carpet. Just unsnap and check the status of the boot underneath.

Denis

is it OEM? i went to see if the stealer even had replacement rubber boots and they said they discontinued them :angry:

I have been having excessive heat coming from the transmission area inside the cab. After driving for a while, the heat comes from the 4 wheel drive shifter and the console area.

Mine did the same thing, but after I installed a tranny cooler from a very old ford mustang, and it did make a huge diffrence! I still feel a little heat, but not that much. I'm going to install a heat shield under the carpet in the driver and passenger side since it does get a little warm also.

is it OEM? i went to see if the stealer even had replacement rubber boots and they said they discontinued them :angry:

I got mine at the stealers, only cost me something like $20. Boght it about two years ago.

Denis

That transfer case lever boot seems to be a built-in fault with the Pathy's. Mine was totally destroyed when I bought mine. I couldn't find one anywhere in NZ from a wrecker. They all said the same thing, "oh they all do that". Ended up getting the local upholsterer to make me one out of leather. It works fine and only cost me a slab of beer.

PS : Sometimes you could roast a weiner on the Shifter (Ouch!!) 

Note to cupples95: DO NOT STRADDLE SHIFTER!! :P

Well, unless your into that sort of thing! :crazy:

And if you were wondering, I'm NOT!! :P:P

Ended up getting the local upholsterer to make me one out of leather. It works fine and only cost me a slab of beer.

How thick of leather? I do leather work and have a couple sides laying around :idea:

Add the tranny cooler fast! My 93 Pathfinder had the same problem. Tranny tunnel at the shifter where your right leg rests, got so hot it would burn my leg. I waited too long to put a cooler on mine...now my Pathy is sitting in the driveway collecting pollen and bird poop until I can afford to fix it. No forward or reverse gears. :sniff: