Won't Start

stunnaeins

i recently went to a mud bog in my Pathfinder and got the fastest time through . but after i came out and did a couple runs through an obsticle course my finder won't start . i had the problem with it before i went and i would just tap on the starter and it would start . now i have changed the starter and cleaned off my engine and it still won't start . when i turn the key nothing happens no clicking nothing , i am able to cluth start it and it runs fine . does anyone have any advice for me what to do . email is stunnaeins@yahoo.com thanks

Check to see if any of your wires got accidentally disconnected while charging through the mud... look underneath and especially around the starter...battery and intake...

kudos on your good run!!

First, don't ask people to email you free answers. It's tacky.

Second, clean that thing off very thoroughly, make sure the starter's clean, the engine-to-body grounds and battery terminals are all clean and tight, and there's no white/green corrosion in the battery cables. If all of your electrical connections are fine, then the next place to look is the starter, since you said it was doing it to you before.

my inhibitor relay fuse popped last week. If your tach and reverse light doesn't work when the truck is running, replace it. Check all your fuses controlling your ignition system. Your alternator might be packed with mud too.

i drive a 95 and the fuse box is right by your left knee. It was the bottom right one, I believe, but it may be different if yours on not a 95. I know the dash is different between mine and pre-95's. It should also be listed in your owner's manual.

better yet, go get a haynes manual, it's not as crappy as the chilton.

non of my fuses are blowin . i might have the fusr box in upsidedown cause i had to pull my dash when my heater core blew is the big fuses on the top or the bottom . i don't have any owners manual for this thing

If your battery isn't bolted down securely, it could shift around while hard wheeling and damage your fusible links. That's what happened to me recently when I trailered my Pathy from DC to Tampa. It would start OK, but none of the guages, radio, windows, etc. would work until I found the short.

there is another fuse that controls the inhibitor switch right next door to the first one. It also controls the A.C.C.D., A/T control system, power steering oil pressure switch, bulb check relay and the interlock emergency relay.

The best thing to do is get yourself one of those repair manuals and start reading. The wiring on these trucks can get pretty complicated when you have some of the options like heated seats, mirrors, p windows, door locks, air conditioning, rear defogger blah blah blah.... then start adding on stuff like auto-starters, alarm systems, extra lights, aftermarket radios you can really make a mess under the dash. Don't even get me to post a picture of what mine looks like :(

Edited by skrillaguerilla