So you want to lift your 96-up Pathy?

• 2 weeks later...
:beer::clap::clap: Man all this info is awesome thanks alot guys. And those warn locking hubs are trick i definetely want a set. I love my pathy and the problem is i just started a family so my wife hates it when i take off to the rocky mtn's because i try to off-road with my friends and their big rigs. but i am surprised how well my 97 pathy does i have 31x10.50 BFG's and some kind of aftermarket shocks (previouse owner installed shocks) and it does great utnil i follow my friends into the way-too-deep stuff. but it is all good that is why my friends are there and why i carry a 30,000 lb tow strap right? atleast now i know what my truck will and will not do so in the future when i get some funds i will raise my pathy hit the mountains, and rock-on

• 2 weeks later...

OK, I know I saw this on NPORA before, but am too impatient to look for it again:

What is the difference between the Old Man Emu coil spring upgrade versus the AC 2" lift coils? How do they compare/which is better?

Thanks!

Better is a subjective term. As far as quality goes, they are about the same...a spring is a spring.

The AC 2" lift coils are just that. Coils matched to factory spec with a higher spring rate that net about 2-3" of lift.

The OME springs are simply a heavy duty spring which allows you to carry more weight without sagging. They net about 1/2-1" of lift.

There are posts in this thread describing the drawbacks of both.

• 1 month later...
Guest jeleven

there is a guy on cardomain.com with a 3" lift, how can this be achieved? some guy asked if it was 2" springs and a spacer? help me out - i dont know a thing!

• 1 month later...

To add to this...I have the OME lift which vengeful spoke about above/\ /\ /\ /\ /\, and it is about 1/75 in the rear and .75" in the front...I had to used monsterous spacers in addition to Warn manual hubs to get the overall height out of the lift and not damage the front CV's

The total spacer height is just about 1" so overall I got 1.75" lift and then add bigger tires after my bought with the 265/70/16 I would suggest getting the 265/70/16 or equiv to get a little more height without going through extreme work!

I see that OME makes heavy duty front coils. I'm assuming this will help level

out the vehicle and thus eliminate the need for strut spacers?

And for you OME guys, did you order the "medium-duty" springs, or are there

heavy duty ones for the rear, too?

• 2 months later...

So my local shop installed the rear OME springs, but ordered the wrong strut

mounts for the front, so he didn't install the front ones... now I sit like a damn

dragster, at least for another week.

Anyhow, I noticed a metal tube with a black rubber casing around it that comes

straight up out of the rear "pumkin-ball". The rubber casing has either pulled

away from the pumpkin ball or the metal tube is being pulled out - I can't move

either by hand. Anyone know what that is, and is it critical??

Anyhow, I noticed a metal tube with a black rubber casing around it that comes

straight up out of the rear "pumkin-ball". The rubber casing has either pulled

away from the pumpkin ball or the metal tube is being pulled out - I can't move

either by hand. Anyone know what that is, and is it critical??

mm... like a tube coming out of the rear differential?? if thats it - that would be your breather tube, you will want that attached... it will keep crap out of your diff if you go in deeper water/mud.

if not, I have no idea wtf youre talkin bout willis...

Hey Pezzy, I've included a picture. Yes, it is on the top of the rear differential.

How would one go about shoving that thing back in, if it's coming out?? I don't

want to snap it off.

post-7-1147900787.jpg

I'll give it a try, Vengeful, thanks. Only thing is, when I tried to move it the first

time, nothing budged and the hose, since it's aluminum I think, was really stiff

and didn't want to move. I can't tell if the hose pulled out of the diff. or if the

rubber slid up on it when the axle dropped with the lift. That brass fitting, it must

be the connector - so I'm hoping, like you said, it is just the rubber sliding up....

*********Just to update y'all, it was just the rubber casing sliding off, it's fixed!

And the OME HD front springs are awesome... pics to come soon!

Edited by dkpath96

• 1 month later...

OK, I'm considering lifting my pathfinder, but the warn hubs/cv angle, clearance, and tire size issues are unclear to me. I have noticed that even if a thread is posted in the R50 section, a lot of WD21 or older model R50 owners start giving advice or information that maybe relates more to their own vehicle rather than the one in question. A lot of helpfull assumptions I guess.... While I consider myself a n00b when it comes to Nissan trucks, I DO know that know that not all 96-04 powertrains are the same. For one, the 3.5L engine in mine didn't arrive until 01' and the floor-shift models are based on a completely different transfer-case system than the electronic All-Mode models.

My biggest worry is whether or not the hubs are compatible with my electronic All-Mode system. I understand the concept of unlocking the front hubs, so that the cvaxles are NOT rotating all the time, thus reducing wear on the boots and overall drag, maybe increasing fuel economy slightly. What confuses me is that the Warn website refers to part 29091 as being for V6 PFs up to 2001. Was the drivetrain different after 2001, as was the engine? Are all Pathfinders newer than 2001 equipped with the electronic All-Mode? The potential for an accidental 4Hi engagement with the hubs unlocked is there. What kind of damage if any would result? I was asking a Nissan Mechanic about some of this and he insisted it was a very bad idea to install any type of un-lockable hubs on the electronic, variable torque models, like mine, while it was totally fine to do on a floor-shift.

Any comments on that?

Also, I just ordered 4 General Grabber AT2s in size 255/70/16 for my hideous stock wheels. My stock tires were 245/70/16 on the Chilkoot, while the LE/SE used 255/65/16s. I wanted to gain height, but 245/75s are E rated and i imagine snow/ice traction starts to go out the window at over 255, also the argument of what tires fit stock wheels on stock suspension seems unsettled so 265/70/16s seemed really risky.

If the lift is viable, I'll be planning on fitting some 265/75/16s on a wider, offset wheel later on. What size/offset would I need? I'm guessing 16x~10 with 4" backspace.

Advice please!

I've seen some nicely done up Pathfinders on the web, but none in the real world. I would like to do something similar to this one.. I can grab the ARB bumper in town for about $1600CAD before tax... Anywhere better?

771823_216_full.jpg

My final question for now... Are there strut mount spacers available for a 1" or 2" lift that wouldn't require new springs and struts and allow 31-32" tires?

Dont go with a 10" wide rim. F*ck up you steering. Any strut spacer would have to be custom made. I have the AC lift with 1" spacers up front:HPIM4583.jpg

HPIM4582.jpg

Those are 16x8 with 4" BS. I've never had a problem with my CV's in any situation, and I'm more 3.5" over stock front height.

OBX, that truck of yours is a beautiful thing. Which AC lift did you use? I understand they can come with a variety of shock/struts. Were the spacers included with your AC kit? If not, where did you get them, or who sells em... Also, what size tires are you running?

I've seen some nicely done up Pathfinders on the web, but none in the real world. I would like to do something similar to this one.. I can grab the ARB bumper in town for about $1600CAD before tax... Anywhere better?

Well, I can tell from the fact you have a Chillkoot & from the price you listed (I recognize that painful number) youre in Canada... That was the same price I was looking at when I was shopping for an aftermarket bumper...

That's pretty much the only choice you have now... although Marcel @ BlackPanther is looking at building a bumper very similar to the ARB, I dont believe he is finished the prototype & pricing... have a looksie at this thread for more info:

http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=8580

Marcel does great work, I'm sure he wont hose us like the other guys will, AND he's in Canada, so we wont get bent over on duty & brokerage fees! :aok:

Guest conquest49

Hey guys this might be a stupid question but how do you know if your rig is lifted. I ask this question because I bought my Pathfinder used and everytime I park next to another Pathfinder they always look smaller (same model of course and similiar year). My Pathfinder came with stock rims and Bridgestone Duelers H/T's in size 265/70R15's. So how do you measure lift? Is it from tire to fender or from the body to ground? I dont know how to go about it. Any help will be usefull!!