'01 SE tranny/clutch issues

Wood

I posted this over on 4x4 parts and thougt I'd post it here as well.

Looking for some insight into a couple of concerns I have with my 2001 SE(45K miles). I've been noticing when I let the clutch out that it does not release smoothly. If I keep the rpms up it's not bad but if I let the clutch out slowly and keep the r's below 1500 or so the clutch is a little jerky(stutters). Also, the tranny shifts fine but if I'm rolling along, push the clutch in and very slowly shift into gear the transmission will grind. This is especially noticeable going into third. I've only had the truck for a couple months so I don't know the history. I haven't checked the fluid. Not sure if the clutch just needs to be adjusted or what. This is making me a little nervous and I know squat about clutches and transmissions simply because I've never had an issue with any previous truck I've owned. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

I had a problem like that with a car I had (69 Datsun 510). The real seal on the motor failed and got oil on the clutch face, then burnt. The clutch was toasted. I do not know for sure on the Pathy but most newer vehicles have self adjusting clutches, there is no way to “adjust” it on your own. Could also be the throwout bearing. Either way you are probably looking at some sort of clutch repair. I am sure more knowledgeable people will post with their experience. Good luck.

Mine is the same way, and it always has been. It was that way two years ago when I bought it, replaced the clutch and its the same. Jerky towards the tail end of the clutch under 1500 and if you shift real slow it grinds with the clutch in... Dunno what it is.