Headlights performing poorly?

88pathoffroad

Okay I was lost there for a minute bro, didn't quite know what you were saying.

My thoughts were to purchase a complete HID kit, ballast and all from egay and install them in the PIAA housings.

The ones I have now are not HID, just xenon foggies.

• 3 months later...

Many thanks to contributors in this thread! I just completed re-wiring my headlights with relays, noticeable difference! I neglected to take before and after pics, but believe me, the difference was clear!

Okay I was lost there for a minute bro, didn't quite know what you were saying.

My thoughts were to purchase a complete HID kit, ballast and all from egay and install them in the PIAA housings.

The ones I have now are not HID, just xenon foggies.

HIDs are xenon. All the other bulbs are just halogen lights tinted blue to look like xenon. You need an igniter for xenon filled bulbs.

• 11 months later...

Haas anyone used the existing wiring at the headlight plug to trigger the relays? That is how I am going to do mine, Mount the relays (or double relay) close to the battery, use the pass side headlight wiring (low and high wires) ran to the new relay to trigger them, than make a new harness from the relays to each headlight.

Yup. I had a blown bulb that i dissected with a dremel, and used that as an adapter to get the signal from the stock harness to the relay. That way it's all plug and play, no splicing, and should something go wrong you can revert to stock bulbs and wiring at any moment (nifty if youre running overwattage bulbs and get pulled over or sh*t hits the fan offroad)

edit: Also, you might want to try using the driver's side bulb; i used the passenger side and its starting to get kind of messy over there with all the wires -but maybe it wouldn't if you take the time to wrap everything up nicely

Edited by tdauria

• 6 months later...

Haas anyone used the existing wiring at the headlight plug to trigger the relays? That is how I am going to do mine, Mount the relays (or double relay) close to the battery, use the pass side headlight wiring (low and high wires) ran to the new relay to trigger them, than make a new harness from the relays to each headlight.

That's how I did mine, worked out GREAT!

• 2 weeks later...

That's how I did mine, worked out GREAT!

yep works well

used a ebay harness seams to work well http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/DC-12V-Car-2-H4-HID-Xenon-Conversion-Kit-80A-Relay-Wiring-Harness-30A-Fuse-/151003098909?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item23287c6f1d&_uhb=1

i got 2 and put 1 in the parts bin

• 1 year later...

Don't remember if I posted this elsewhere, but to anyone building a relay harness, spend the extra couple bucks on a good fuse holder. I've had two of the cheap plastic in-line ones with the glass fuses melt on me under normal load. The little contacts inside don't seem to make very good contact with the fuses. I put a blade fuse holder on mine, seems like a much better design.

It's a good thing the fog lights are on a different fuse, I would've been driving by moonlight otherwise!

Would this work on R50? I haven't looked at the wiring for my PF yet but I do notice that the headlights are pretty... weak...

Only asking because I noticed that the majority if not all the posts are from WD21 owners.

Edited by Quaintbucket

I remember my dad complaining about the brights on his '03 being kinda crap. The '03 FSM shows factory headlight relays, though, so there's not much point in relaying what's already been relayed. I assume the early R50s are wired the same as the late R50s.

I can report that redoing my headlight relay system in prep for my jdm projectors, that it does work.

However it only really seems to work on the brights. I re-routed the thin factory wire that was running to the headlights as trigger for my relays, and then 14 or 12 (can't remember, but I'll be running 14 for my HID'S) to the headlights, and gave the relays a power source, and boom, worked fine. But like I said, no real change in lows (the sucked just as much as they did before) but the highs were definitely brighter. For my r50 that is.

-Kyle