Highway RPMs

I drive a 1995 XE 2WD with 120K miles. and the 5-speed transmission with overdrive (i assume.) Here in Texas with highway speeds of 70+ mph, 3000 RPM is reached in 5th gear at about 63 miles per hour. I'm not sure, but a hunch suggests this is pretty far outside a good revolution range for gas mileage. Are there alternative gear ratios out there that can deliver better gas mileage, or will there not be enough to maintain speed? Has anybody tried this?

other notes:

headers ticking, need to fix that to improve mileage.

i heard something about an '88 MFA sensor, can somebody post a link to that?

thanks,

Kevin

Basically, these things are geared to get maximum power out of a fairly weak 3.0L V6. If you re-gear for better fuel economy, you won't have any power. People go up 1-2 sizes in tires and notice a distinct loss of power. Re-gearing would have the same effect, only, multiplied, as far as I know.

Fixing your manifolds will help with mileage, installing headers instead of fixing the manifolds would help a little more, and give you more power.

In terms of the "MFA" sensor, I think you're talking about 88PathfinderOffroad's idea to clean the MAF sensor. (most people call him 88) That will help with mileage as well, if your MAF is particularily dirty. Here's the Link

Hope this helps

Edited by Simon

Hey Kevin, I have a 95XE 4x4 with 114K and 31" tires. At 3000 RPM, the speedo indicates 65 MPH. It reads a but low, about 6-7%, so I'm really running at 68-70 MPH. I consider that cruising speed for this vehicle. Maybe you just need to mount 31" tires for that little extra. I think the truck pulls them just fine; what size tires do you have now ?

Bernard

:( I have NO idea how fast I am going in ANY gear or RPM range anymore with 31's... my speedo has been broke since I bought the Pathy..and I am on my third round of different size of tires! :sniff:

i.e.-started with 235/75/15 then put on 255/70/15 now have 31/10.5/15's......

:( I have NO idea how fast I am going in ANY gear or RPM range anymore with 31's... my speedo has been broke since I bought the Pathy..and I am on my third round of different size of tires! :sniff:

RPMs of the engine will not be directly affected by the tires as such but the speed/milage will.

Ok, not an auto, but here's a weird one for ya'll. Stock, she came with 31's, it says so on the door jamb. Ok. My speedo says I'm doin about 77 at 3100. I was playin with my handheld GPS on a roadtrip and my actual speed was about 72. I thought it might be off a bit, but when I passed one of those "caution corner, your speed....." signs it was about 5 mph lower as well. I have a bad habit of seein how high I can peg those darn things. heh. SO the way I figure, if I toss on 33's I'll be right on. Weird huh?

:(  I have NO idea how fast I am going in ANY gear or RPM range anymore with 31's... my speedo has been broke since I bought the Pathy..and I am on my third round of different size of tires!  :sniff:

RPMs of the engine will not be directly affected by the tires as such but the speed/milage will.

Indeed... but the speedo has been BROKEN since I bought my Pathy.. but the bigger the tire.. the less revolutions..hence the at 3,000rpm in 5th (before I fixed studs n added headers n all) I was doing 65mph with the 235/75/15 tires... then I was very close at 2,900rpm @ 65 with the 29's.. now.... who knows! I THINK I am doing ABOUT 65 @ 2,800rpm with the 31's....

These are the days I wish we had ONE STOCK VEHICLE to test with... :sniff:

Edited by Slick

Ok, not an auto, but here's a weird one for ya'll. Stock, she came with 31's, it says so on the door jamb. Ok. My speedo says I'm doin about 77 at 3100. I was playin with my handheld GPS on a roadtrip and my actual speed was about 72. I thought it might be off a bit, but when I passed one of those "caution corner, your speed....." signs it was about 5 mph lower as well. I have a bad habit of seein how high I can peg those darn things. heh. SO the way I figure, if I toss on 33's I'll be right on. Weird huh?

I passed one of those speed things on I5 near Shasta and it pegged something like 100mph. :) Lucky it wasn't a photo one I suppose.

I run about 3K rpm's about 70 mph and get roughly the same mileage from say 45-70, depending on terrain. The mileage goes down around town, hilly areas, and over 75 or so when the rpms go up a bit. 3K rpms isn't extraordinarily high, its not like your running a V8 or something.

When I got my 95 XE it had the 235's on it. A week later I had 31's on it and yes I could feel a slight loss of power. I am doing a solid axle conversion on an Xterra so I am going to regear my truck using the the 4.636 gears out of the Xterra to replace my 4.3 gears, it may not seem like much but I think I will get the power back that I had with the 235's.

I may not have as much power as other truck on the road.. but I still get to where I have to go in MY time....in a vehicle I love to drive..with the stereo bumpin..ahhhhhhhh...yesssssssss...in my time...... -bounce-

at 80mph its around 3100rpm and i get about 60 miles per quater tank. but then again i got a auto dunno if there is a big differnce on RPMs with autos and manual boxes. as for power, eh dont need to much but it would be nice. just yesterday i got truck doing what i would guess was 106mph, past the 100 mark crusing next to a IS300. good thing about texas is there are lots of open strait aways. had to try it ;)

Edited by BigMike

OK I have a solution to everyone's RPM MPH problems thanks to the latest Road and Track.

In latest road and track they give this equation:

RPM = (MPH x trans ratio x final drive ratio x 336) / tire diameter

Note tire diameter is in inches. With some simple algebra you get the following equation:

MPH = (RPM x Tire diameter) / (Trans ratio x Final drive ratio x 336)

So all we need now is the gear ratios and final drive ratios and everyone can figure out what MPH they should have at what RPM in whatever gear! Yall are welcome. :takebow: