CV boots

BigMike

I looked under my truck yesterday and noticed that one of my CV boots are torn. :angry: About what should i expect to get it repaired, or how difficult would it be to fix my self? for now im just going to seal it with some duct tape.

I've never done it on a pathy, but I've done a couple of front drives, it's somewhat of a job but definatly not impossible.

The worst part is taking of the caliper, hub, ball joint or joints depending if you can take the shaft out with just one ball joint out.

Once you have the shaft out take your boot lock bands off, slide your boot over, there will be a couple of snap rings to take off so you can take the knucles off, slide your new boot on and reverse process.

With a Chilton manual, a pair of boot ring pliers (you will need these to make sure you get a proper crimp on the boot band) it shouldn't be a problem.

there is a boot an each end of each shaft, I would take this time to inspect the other end and replace it if ther is any sign of cracking or damage on the other end.

As for sealing your boot with Duct Tape.........all I can say is don't go four wheeling or go too far. A boot is cheaper than replacing the knuckle also.

Good luck

On my 93 Both CV joints are ripped on both right and left sides..I was quoted by repair shop $800 to fix it with new axles.. :angry:

My roomate is a mechanic and he ordered some rebuilt axles for $60 each. It took us about 1 hour to get the old axle out(mainly cause my car is so rusty!). It comes out without having to take a whole lot appart. Unfortunately the rebuilt axles weren't quite the same as the OEMs.. the end caps on OEM axles have 1/4" divit in them to accomodate the nut on the engine side. Doh! :angry:

So if your fixing your CV joints and decide to replace whole axles assembly beware of rebuilt generic axles.

Anyway anyone know how much OEM front Axles assemblies are?

On my 93 Both CV joints are ripped on both right and left sides..I was quoted by repair shop $800 to fix it with new axles.. :angry:

My roomate is a mechanic and he ordered some rebuilt axles for $60 each. It took us about 1 hour to get the old axle out(mainly cause my car is so rusty!). It comes out without having to take a whole lot appart. Unfortunately the rebuilt axles weren't quite the same as the OEMs.. the end caps on OEM axles have 1/4" divit in them to accomodate the nut on the engine side. Doh! :angry:

So if your fixing your CV joints and decide to replace whole axles assembly beware of rebuilt generic axles.

Anyway anyone know how much OEM front Axles assemblies are?

Good points. I helped replaced a passenger side cv shaft. The outter spline count was off by 1 spline. The parts store told us we were assembling it wrong when we called them to see if they had another listing. We brought in the old one and the one they sold us and had them count the splines. Ended up going elsewhere where they used a paper manual to cross reference.

If it's not in the computer, then it must not exist! :angry:

If it's not in the computer, then it must not exist!  :angry:

Yeah Thats why I am a little hesitant to buy carparts online. I'd rather have a brick and mortor store I can return things to if things don't work out. Anyone have any expereience buying parts from Autozone online?

You're all aware that the front CV axles only spin when the transfer case is in 4WD, right? Therefore, you will never hear any kind of "clunking" noise from a CV axle when turning in a Pathfinder in 2WD...

Also, if the CV boot is ripped and you just need to keep stuff out of the joint, taping it up or covering it with something will work until you can replace the boot or whole axle.

• 2 weeks later...

Geez 4 hunnerd and something for CV replacement. 8 something? What a ripoff!

The last one I replaced, I got the replacement for on Ebay for $25 plus shipping (I have another spare I got for $15 and shipping)

You don't have to take the rotor etc off to replace a CV on a Pathy. Better still you can do it in a little over an hour if you have a buddy helping you out. If the moderators want, I can prepare write up.

• 3 months later...
You don't have to take the rotor etc off to replace a CV on a Pathy. Better still you can do it in a little over an hour if you have a buddy helping you out. If the moderators want, I can prepare write up.

I'd love to see that writeup. I'm about to have to replace mine too.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Hey I just noticed that my outer boots on both sides are torn. I read related posts but nobody talked about cleaning the joints out. Is there a good way to do that? before I regrease 'em.

Any ideas on a cost of new axles? and where can I find replacement boots?

Hey I just noticed that my outer boots on both sides are torn. I read related posts but nobody talked about cleaning the joints out. Is there a good way to do that? before I regrease 'em.

Any ideas on a cost of new axles? and where can I find replacement boots?

Use lots of brake cleaner. Dissolves the grease, washes it all out, and evaporates quickly. To do a really good job disassemble the joint down to separating out the ball and cage and clean them all separately.

Use lots of brake cleaner. Dissolves the grease, washes it all out, and evaporates quickly. To do a really good job disassemble the joint down to separating out the ball and cage and clean them all separately.

is that hard to do? the disassembly..

is that hard to do? the disassembly..

Dont think so. I haven't done them on the Pathfinder just a Chevy. Should just need a pair of snap ring pliers, punch and hammer, and about 10 - 15 mins. The snap ring is straightfoward (if there is one?) and the cage needs to be rotated in the housing with the punch so the balls can be removed from the top.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest jptester

I just saw one of my boots torn. I have already replaced mine at the dealer for about $350 each. I am planning on doing it myself now and I found this boot replacement kit on www.4x4parts.com The link below directs it to the boot section. Has anyone before installed this product :shrug: ? It looks simple enough since there is no axle to remove.

http://www.4x4parts.com/public_html/shop/i...dd10d970fc62cba

• 4 weeks later...

is there a trick to seperating the outer CV joint? According to the manual I should be able to just hit it hard to get the whole thing off of the end but i have been pounding to no avail... getting flustered. i gotta get home tonight... help!