Gasket keeps breaking. Muffler Problem?

Guest El_Madmaster

Guest El_Madmaster

Lately a gasket, I think near the cat converter, keeps breaking, usually resulting in a loud exhaust or ticking sound. Cole Muffler has been nice enough to replace it 3 times so far, and this time they put some reinforced one in there with some better sealant, but its starting to get loud again. I read somewhere it could be a Muffler Bearing of some sort causing this to happen. Any ideas?

Hehehehe, muffler bearing...

The only things that cause pipe gaskets to fail are improper mounting of the exhaust(which allows it to wobble around and physically break the joints), a broken motor or tranny mount(same thing), or excessive backpressure due to a clogged cat or smashed muffler or exhaust tip.

If it is the muffler bearings I'v got some real high quality one's, brand new still in the package. Now they're made out of a space age metal alloy commonly used in spaceships so they'll last a good long time and give you a nice throaty exhaust note. I'll part ways with them for $1000, a true deal! But it's a limited time offer, so reply soon! I accept all major credit cars and cash in small non sequential bills. :P:rolleyes:

first off kick who ever told you it was the "muffler bearings" sqaure in the nuts, then do what '88 said and check for excessive movement and get your cat checked for a clog. are you noticing any preformance loss?

I've been wrestling with the same problem since installing a new cat. I discovered the flange leading to the muffler is slightly warped and no matter how tightly I torqued the bolts, there was still a small enough gap where the gasses coming out of the cat would fry the gasket to the point where a hole would develop and it would start making noise. Try taking the connection apart yoursef and use some Permatex Ultra Copper to seal the gap. It's been several weeks and so far and it's held up, but I'm waiting to see if it will hold for good. :shrug:

Guest El_Madmaster

Yeah im sure ill have good luck with the bearing haha. I wondered before if maybe the cat was clogged, but the flange is pretty rusted if thats the more likely case. Not really a huge issue but it was really nice to hear how quiet and smooth the pathy was for like a week.