Rear Diff. drain plug not coming out

97SE

Hopefully, you didn't hose the plug when you put the impact on it. If you bugger that up, you're gonna have a heck of a time gettin it off. Hit it with some PB blaster, let it soak in for an afternoon, or over night, come back and hit it squarely with a larger hamer a few times. I had the same problem and this trick freed it right up. The hammer part is the trick, it tends to break free whatever is holding the dirty bugger in place. Good luck.

M.M.

Hopefully, you didn't hose the plug when you put the impact on it. If you bugger that up, you're gonna have a heck of a time gettin it off. Hit it with some PB blaster, let it soak in for an afternoon, or over night, come back and hit it squarely with a larger hamer a few times. I had the same problem and this trick freed it right up. The hammer part is the trick, it tends to break free whatever is holding the dirty bugger in place. Good luck.

M.M.

The impact wrench worked great on the others but I fear I did round it out a bit....it kinda slightly got away from me once :furious:

Not the end of the world, but you might need an extra set of hands down there to hold the head of a breaker bar in place while you pry your brains out. Just remember: Beat it first, and a bit of heat from a propane torch couldn't hurt, just don't get it oo hot, otherwise, you might change the charicteristics of your oil in there. Then again, you're trying to get that out, aren't you.

M.M.

I just changed the fluid in my last week. I sprayed it with WD-40 a day before, torched it, then slammed it with a hammer a few times. Then I used a 3 foot piece of pipe on the half inch wrench and zipped it right off. The fill plug was another story. I did the same as the drain, but I had to use my floor jack on the end of the wrench to loosen the bugger. I'll attempt the front soon...doesn't look fun. Good Luck!

breaker bars work wonders if you got the musle for it. one time at work we had to use a 12 foot breaker bar to free a 4 inch fitting on a 2o foot long nitrogen tank. had 4 people dangling on the end and wouldnt budge. ended up using the 12ton forklift as musle :lol:

When I couldn't get the crank shaft bolt off, I drove to a local garage and had the loosen it for $20. I know it is a cop out, but the job has to get done.

...I need a lift in my garage

Yeah, this certainly comes in handy!

drooooooooollllllllllllllll... :bow: now that's nice :clap::clap: and any other emoticons that work.

smilies-26506.png

hehe...

If for some reason you DO end up "rounding" the inside of the plug, you may have to weld a nut on the plug and crank on that bugger.......hard! Worked for me