Front Radius Arm Bushes Kaput.

NZ Terrano Owner

On a recent club run I noticed that there was a clunking sound coming from underneath the truck. It sounded like it was under my foot. I originally suspected that the engine or transmission mounts were loose. Back in the shed, I climbed underneath with a range of spanners, but all the bolts for the engine and transmission were tight as. I noticed however that the Bushes for the Front Radius Arm looked worn, so I undid them and got quite a shock! They were Knackered!!. The compression collar was worn through in the middle where it had been wearing on the chassis mount and the rubbers were all hard and broken - Ugly, see photos.

Installed some nolathene bushes, and no more clunks when I go over bumps now.

Well worth checking yours out next time you have the front end up. Just takes a few minutes to undo the 2 bolts, and the big nut at the end, to slide off the bushes and have a look. Make sure you measure the Radius Arm diameter, and the length of the compression collar before you order the replacement, as there are two sizes ( for the '95 anyway). I didn't, and you guessed it, I got the wrong one the first time. Bugger!

Cheers

Al

post-9-1116457171.jpg

Where can I order those nolathene bushes at? Anyone know the part #'s for a first gen pathy?

Its the stage in my pathy's life where I need to start replacing all this small stuff :-) Then later I can sacrifice her to the mod gods.

Does anyone know if the polyurthane (or whatever they happen to be) bushings will decrease articulation compared to rubber? I'm talking about suspension bushings in general.

• 4 weeks later...

any one have trouble taking the compression/strut rod off? cause im having a hellof time, i already broke a wrench a ratchet and a socket and the sucker is pretty much welded on. i soaked it and lube over night adding lube multiple times, heated the bolt, tried a breaker bar with two feet of cheater tube stuck on the end. and nada. so any idea?

Mine are stubborn b@st@rds too. I've soaked them in PB, hit them with a hammer, broke a socket, 3/8-1/2 adapter for my breaker bar, and a 3/8 ratchet with an extension. All cause I was too cheap to buy a 1/2 socket set so far. :) Haven't tried heat yet though. I think I'm gonna take these bushings, the new UCA's, ball joints and tie rod ends into the mechanic and let them have fun. I'm too busy for this isht! P...