Steering stuff!

utherjorge

Hello!

I have to get tie rods and upper ball joints for my '87. Is there a better brand that I should be keeping an eye out for?

Also, assuming I chose to do UCAs now, like ones I see at 4x4parts, is the supposed 3 inch lift too much? Does it cause problems?

:welcome:

I went with 555 joints for mine. I've been told they're good, haven't tested them head-to-head against other makes though. IIRC I looked at the pictures in the Rockauto listings and found some where the parts were stamped 555, but they were being sold under another brand name. 

Cranking the torsion bars provides the lift. The lift UCAs are supposed to correct what the lift does to the upper ball joint angle (so the joints last longer) and the camber (so you don't have a fat stack of washers between the UCA spindle and the frame). I have read that the Superlift/Rough Country UCAs fix both issues, but the AC or 4x4parts arms only correct the camber. I have not worked with either, though, and I don't know what's still available or if designs have changed.

If you were hoping to install lift arms now, in preparation for a lift later, don't. I don't think the front end would align properly at stock height with lift UCAs. If you're planning to lift the truck, then, yes, you will want the UCAs to match.

Any lift puts more stress on the steering linkage, which isn't great to begin with. There are a few solutions for this. The most common is an idler arm brace and a Grassroots4x4 centerlink. Some people run the 2WD Hardbody centerlink instead; some love it, others say it handles poorly due to excessive bump steer. Calmini made a pretty skookum-looking linkage for these, but between the price tag and Calmini's reputation, I didn't consider it as an option. I've got a Grassroots on mine, and it's been alright, except that the bolts holding it on loosened up a few times. It hasn't done that in a while, but I'm still not crazy about the design. 

• Like 1