R50 Pathfinder rear lift springs alternatives?

Hi guys, so I'm new around here and have been doing a lot of reading up on possible lift options for my 2001 R50 4x4 MT. So far it looks like Old man Emu, AC coils and Dobinsons are the most common options for lifting the front of an R50. I've also learned that LR coils gives you the best results for the rear 9446 and 9447. However it looks like these coils for the rear are now out of stock. My question is what other options do I now have to lift the rear of my R50. Any input is dearly appreciated, thanks in advance:puterpunch:

Edited by CamperDan

• CamperDan changed the title to R50 Pathfinder rear lift springs alternatives?

Other Rear lift spring options:

NRC 9449 (about 3" of lift, another LR spring option). This is what I had for ~2 years on my R50.

NRC 9448 (About 4" of lift, another LR spring option usually saved for SFD applications unless you cut a coil).

King Springs (Not alot of reviews on these, try at your own peril)

Ironman4x4 - Slightly infamous reputation due to this controversial, haphazard review

TJM Springs used to be a thing, here they are on the australian site

There was a dude on facebook who haughtily explained to me that australia has many more options for springs (pedders, tough dog, the list goes on and on.....) and a vastly superior aftermarket, but there's only so many different ways to make a coil spring that lifts the R50 pathfinder. I don't miss that guy.

Other than the AC coils, nothing stands out as being distinctly different in terms of ride quality and intended performance from the likes of OME and Dobinson Coils.

Happy hunting

As an FYI, many of us think that IronMan review is dubious at best.

I just lifted with KYB Excel-G & ARB OME HD up front on my 2002 Q. (Also of note, my Pathy with ARB struts & springs up front did not require camber bolts - my Q with the KYB-Excel-G visibly needed them. Not sure why they’re different but one more vote for ARB if you can tolerate the price - they’re several fold more-buy through Desert Rat. Unfortunately, I couldn’t wait due to limited availability of the passenger side strut & a tight time line.)

For rear springs I initially put in Britpart LR NRC9449 (yellow/white) 225# Spring Rate (+2-2.5" same Height as NRC9447). They felt great & I liked the lift but I had ALOT of rake. The LRs don’t really settle-mine were the same 600 miles later. Even with the Q’s HID height adjustment, my headlights drove into the ground about 100’ ahead of me. Consequently, I ended up switching out to the ARB OME MD & now it’s level. It was tough switching them out as while I’m an ARB advocate, the LR sorings are visibly more robust & feel great - I run the Britpart NRC9448 on my Pathy. (I’ll attach some pics-first 2 are with the LR, 3rd is the OME, 4th shows my lights)

It’s not the highest lift out there but honestly, I did just about all of the major CO passes except Black Bear with an essentially stock 2002 LE with only AirLifts in the rear. Engineer was a bit rough but the truck managed the rest with good line selection & careful driving. If you’re not rock crawling, you really don’t need alot of lift.
1a184f95720f9bfc17aafed3551e011a.jpg
e1e68343ceb4b97dd38ca6eb291fc1f6.jpg
66c317535aa9634fbf4b583b7d681071.jpg
c62d5419d4f64e6c9893d6ea9e2b9b1f.jpg

• Like 2

Trying to compare rake and levelness of setups without some comparison of fender measurements between front and rear is a little arbitrary. Pairing OME front springs (springs that don't lift alot) with LR springs (which do lift alot) is always going to produce noticeable amounts of rake, hence the typical addition of a 1" spacer on the front end to make it closer to level. Especially where the OME's are designed for a certain weight capacity, as opposed to lifting a guaranteed height, there could be a variance in results. It's also uncertain what kind of quality control there is among different brands and suppliers of LR springs.

I have yet to see anyone produce a truly level setup on the 9446's, 9447's, or 9449's without lifting the front end a ridiculous amount or using a SFD. People looking for level 2" lift setups are best suited to springs besides LR springs.

For example, my 03 with AC 2" coils and britpart 9449's still had about 1.25 - 1.5" of rake when I measured my fenders (Front was in the ~35" range from ground to fender, Rear was in the 36's. The car was on 32" tires the entire time.), which was definitely visible. Going with a dobinson (1.2") front spring or an OME (1-1.5" by most estimates) front spring would have made that rake even more pronounced compared to what I experienced. It never caused any problems having that amount of rake, and the appearance was generally acceptable. The rear end never sagged with the LR springs on, and performance was totally acceptable. This is not an advertisement for AC coils- buy those at your own discretion, alot of people are not a fan of the stiffness. 

I remember and have documented on my build thread that when I first installed this setup, the vehicle was within 0.5" of level. The AC coils settled noticeably in the first month or two. 

oaJLj8t.jpg

Visible rake in this photo- about 1.5 years after installing both springs. 

Of the setups I've been around and driven, this was one of my favorites: 

wfpcDNt.jpg

@The_Oregonian's dobinson front and 9447 rear setup was strong and supportive without feeling jarring. I really enjoyed driving it and thought it looked great. In the case of not being able to get 9447's, I think trying out Dobinson rear coils could make for a level and comfortable setup. 

• Like 4

9 hours ago, PathyDude17 said:

Trying to compare rake and levelness of setups without some comparison of fender measurements between front and rear is a little arbitrary. Pairing OME front springs (springs that don't lift alot) with LR springs (which do lift alot) is always going to produce noticeable amounts of rake, hence the typical addition of a 1" spacer on the front end to make it closer to level. Especially where the OME's are designed for a certain weight capacity, as opposed to lifting a guaranteed height, there could be a variance in results. It's also uncertain what kind of quality control there is among different brands and suppliers of LR springs.

I have yet to see anyone produce a truly level setup on the 9446's, 9447's, or 9449's without lifting the front end a ridiculous amount or using a SFD. People looking for level 2" lift setups are best suited to springs besides LR springs.

For example, my 03 with AC 2" coils and britpart 9449's still had about 1.25 - 1.5" of rake when I measured my fenders (Front was in the ~35" range from ground to fender, Rear was in the 36's. The car was on 32" tires the entire time.), which was definitely visible. Going with a dobinson (1.2") front spring or an OME (1-1.5" by most estimates) front spring would have made that rake even more pronounced compared to what I experienced. It never caused any problems having that amount of rake, and the appearance was generally acceptable. The rear end never sagged with the LR springs on, and performance was totally acceptable. This is not an advertisement for AC coils- buy those at your own discretion, alot of people are not a fan of the stiffness. 

I remember and have documented on my build thread that when I first installed this setup, the vehicle was within 0.5" of level. The AC coils settled noticeably in the first month or two. 

oaJLj8t.jpg

Visible rake in this photo- about 1.5 years after installing both springs. 

Of the setups I've been around and driven, this was one of my favorites: 

wfpcDNt.jpg

@The_Oregonian's dobinson front and 9447 rear setup was strong and supportive without feeling jarring. I really enjoyed driving it and thought it looked great. In the case of not being able to get 9447's, I think trying out Dobinson rear coils could make for a level and comfortable setup. 

@PathyDude17 Thank you for your detailed response. Seems I wasn't too far off as I was considering going with the Dobinson coils for the front and rear as well. I just figured I would ask around as everyone usually goes with the LR springs or Old Man EMU for the rear. A leveled final product is desired, but I also didn't mind having a lil bit of a rake in the rear as I intermittently tow my wife's 6X10 Cargo Trailer Camp Conversion with my R50 a few times a month. I already fired my parts cannon a few times on other various suspension components, I think I'm gonna go a head and order the Dobinson Coils before they disappear too.🛒🛒🛒

Edited by CamperDan
  • Like 2

As Tyler mentioned my setup of Dobinson's in the front, and 9447's in the rear works well. There is a little rake when unloaded (I do have a spare tire carrier with a 31" wheel out back) but once I load any amount of camping gear etc. in the back it more or less levels right out. 

I'm not sure where you are seeing that 9447's are out of stock - but where I ordered them from (and where most of us order them from) they are showing in stock as of today (11/112021) - https://www.lrdirect.com/nrc9447-supplied-by-britpart-branded-britpart

• Like 2

22 hours ago, RainGoat said:

I just lifted with KYB Excel-G & ARB OME HD up front on my 2002 Q. (Also of note, my Pathy with ARB struts & springs up front did not require camber bolts - my Q with the KYB-Excel-G visibly needed them. Not sure why they’re different but one more vote for ARB if you can tolerate the price - they’re several fold more-buy through Desert Rat. Unfortunately, I couldn’t wait due to limited availability of the passenger side strut & a tight time line.)

For rear springs I initially put in Britpart LR NRC9449 (yellow/white) 225# Spring Rate (+2-2.5" same Height as NRC9447). They felt great & I liked the lift but I had ALOT of rake. The LRs don’t really settle-mine were the same 600 mikes later. Even with the Q’s HID height adjustment, my headlights drove into the ground about 100’ ahead of me. Consequently, I ended up switching out to the ARB OME MD & now it’s level. It was tough switching them out as while I’m an ARB advocate, the LR sorings are visibly more robust & feel great - I run the Britpart NRC9448 on my Pathy. (I’ll attach some pics-first 2 are with the LR, 3rd is the OME, 4th shows my lights)

It’s not the highest lift out there but honestly, I did just about all if the major CO passes except Black Bear with an essentially stock 2002 LE with only AirLifts in the rear. Engineer was a bit rough but it managed the rest with good line selection & careful driving. If you’re not rock crawling, you really don’t need alot of lift.
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20211111/1a184f95720f9bfc17aafed3551e011a.jpg
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20211111/e1e68343ceb4b97dd38ca6eb291fc1f6.jpg
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20211111/66c317535aa9634fbf4b583b7d681071.jpg
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20211111/c62d5419d4f64e6c9893d6ea9e2b9b1f.jpg

22 hours ago, RainGoat said:

For rear springs I initially put in Britpart LR NRC9449 (yellow/white) 225# Spring Rate (+2-2.5" same Height as NRC9447). They felt great & I liked the lift but I had ALOT of rake. The LRs don’t really settle-mine were the same 600 mikes later. Even with the Q’s HID height adjustment, my headlights drove into the ground about 100’ ahead of me. Consequently, I ended up switching out to the ARB OME MD & now it’s level. It was tough switching them out as while I’m an ARB advocate, the LR sorings are visibly more robust & feel great - I run the Britpart NRC9448 on my Pathy. (I’ll attach some pics-first 2 are with the LR, 3rd is the OME, 4th shows my lights)

It’s not the highest lift out there but honestly, I did just about all if the major CO passes except Black Bear with an essentially stock 2002 LE with only AirLifts in the rear. Engineer was a bit rough but it managed the rest with good line selection & careful driving. If you’re not rock crawling, you really don’t need alot of lift.
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20211111/1a184f95720f9bfc17aafed3551e011a.jpg
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20211111/e1e68343ceb4b97dd38ca6eb291fc1f6.jpg
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20211111/66c317535aa9634fbf4b583b7d681071.jpg
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20211111/c62d5419d4f64e6c9893d6ea9e2b9b1f.jpg

@RainGoat No Rock Crawling here, mostly dirt and some gravel. Very noticeable rake with the LR spring you were running before, looks like you were able to get things leveled by swapping to the OME's in the rear. Thanks for mentioning the head light aiming challenges as well. All really good things to know before lifting my R50🚙

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, The_Oregonian said:

As Tyler mentioned my setup of Dobinson's in the front, and 9447's in the rear works well. There is a little rake when unloaded (I do have a spare tire carrier with a 31" wheel out back) but once I load any amount of camping gear etc. in the back it more or less levels right out. 

I'm not sure where you are seeing that 9447's are out of stock - but where I ordered them from (and where most of us order them from) they are showing in stock as of today (11/112021) - https://www.lrdirect.com/nrc9447-supplied-by-britpart-branded-britpart

@The_Oregonian great save, I was using a link that I found in One of Tyler's past video's that covers lift options for the R50. Now redirecting my parts cannon on a set of LR springs for the rear, also gonna stick with the Dobinson's for the front. Thanks again you guys rock🤘😎

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, CamperDan said:

@The_Oregonian great save, I was using a link that I found in One of Tyler's past video's that covers lift options for the R50. Now redirecting my parts cannon on a set of LR springs for the rear, also gonna stick with the Dobinson's for the front. Thanks again you guys rock🤘😎

Happy to help! Good luck with your build!!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, The_Oregonian said:

Happy to help! Good luck with your build!!

@The_Oregonian $111.00 with shipping not bad at all, leaves me with room for other upgrades too. I can't wait.

• Like 1

Britpart is great. I ordered my 9448 on a Friday & found it at my doorstep in Seattle on Monday. $84.49($32.92+$51.57).

I’m interested in seeing more folks try the King/Dobinsons/Ironman options. In general, all of this stuff is alot more sophisticated with the Aussies & their regulations, so I suspect the products are generally solid. It’s of some interest that all the Australian versions quote a 30-40mm lift. It shows that they’ve taken a conservative stance of maxing out at +1.5”. The OME HD & Britpart springs all ride very nicely. I suspect that’s true of all the Australian brands but I’d love to see more of us try them.

I know you’re not doing ARB but for general info, check out Desert Rat with alot of stuff. If they have it, they’re tough to beat price wise & have good customer service. They’re a reputable AZ company with free shipping on most of these things & no taxes. I’ve used them for 20 years. With ARB, you can also call the US HQ S of Seattle (Auburn I think). While they can’t directly sell to consumers, the guy there could tell me exactly what struts were on ships, how many were unsold, & approximately when they would arrive.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, CamperDan said:

I was using a link that I found in One of Tyler's past video's that covers lift options for the R50.

Freak, my bad. I just checked my videos and the links in it to lrdirect are dead/outdated. The search bar still works good though

• Like 1

On 11/11/2021 at 6:23 PM, RainGoat said:

Britpart is great. I ordered my 9448 on a Friday & found it at my doorstep in Seattle on Monday. $84.49($32.92+$51.57).

I’m interested in seeing more folks try the King/Dobinsons/Ironman options. In general, all of this stuff is alot more sophisticated with the Aussies & their regulations, so I suspect the products are generally solid. It’s of some interest that all the Australian versions quote a 30-40mm lift. It shows that they’ve taken a conservative stance of maxing out at +1.5”. The OME HD & Britpart springs all ride very nicely. I suspect that’s true of all the Australian brands but I’d love to see more of us try them.

I know you’re not doing ARB but for general info, check out Desert Rat with alot of stuff. If they have it, they’re tough to beat price wise & have good customer service. They’re a reputable AZ company with free shipping on most of these things & no taxes. I’ve used them for 20 years. With ARB, you can also call the US HQ S of Seattle (Auburn I think). While they can’t directly sell to consumers, the guy there could tell me exactly what struts were on ships, how many were unsold, & approximately when they would arrive.

@RainGoat I went a head and checked out Desert Rat per your advice, and I'm starting to lean more towards a OME setup for the rear (with a higher spring rate)because as I mentioned earlier I will be doing some towing with my R50. I really do like the leveled look, but I'm also concerned about how much these springs may settle over time. I'm looking at the HD OME Coil Springs #2610 what are your thoughts on this?  Keeping intermittent towing in mind thanks.

Edited by CamperDan

[mention=40800]RainGoat[/mention] I went a head and checked out Desert Rat per your advice, and I'm starting to lean more towards a OME setup for the rear (with a higher spring rate)because as I mentioned earlier I will be doing some towing with my R50. I really do like the leveled look, but I'm also concerned about how much these springs may settle over time. I'm looking at the HD OME Coil Springs #2610 what are your thoughts on this?  Keeping intermittent towing in mind thanks.

Let’s loop in [mention=37543]towndawgr50[/mention] as he ran the Medium Duty with heavy towing for years. He did use AirLift1000s with them though. I don’t think ARB makes a Heavy Duty REAR spring for the R50, only Medium Duty. On other sites I’m finding the OME2610 fitment to be inconsistent, I see it for the R50, the R51 and the Pathfinder Armada. Check with ARB because I don’t think all those trucks take the same rear spring. Below is a screen shot of the ARB catalog & I only see Medium Duty Rear Springs.

I love the HD front springs on my Pathy - which carries an additional 170# with the bumper & winch. I was reticent to put the same HD on the unloaded Q as I prioritize a good ride over lift. [mention=37543]TowndawgR50[/mention] convinced me to go ahead & I’m glad I did. The Q hasn’t seen alot of trail exposure so far but overall I’m pretty happy with the performance. It rides smoothly, except for a piece of that roadwork metal plate I cross daily - but I think anything would jar over that.

In the rear, I would definitely do the HD springs. Unloaded, the Q felt just fine with the 225# spring rate LR NRC9449. The Pathy can be just a little bit stiff with the LR NRC9448; however, [mention=37543]TowndawgR50[/mention] thinks that’s probably in part due to my heavy duty Terry Morgan trailing arms. Also, both trucks are running on full poly bushing rears. [mention=37543]TowndawgR50[/mention] has super tested his springs with heavy hauling & has been very happy with them. While that’s the LR springs, I would only expect even better performance out of the ARB OME stuff. Plus, it seems likely you should be able to count on the lift being level.

All that said, I’ll bet all those Australian brands are pretty comparable - though in this case, ARB is hard to beat for the price, spring rate & reliability. If the 2610 is R52, maybe consider one of the other Australian brands though I’m not seeing as high a spring rate as the HD or LR - except the Dobinsons have 220# in the front & presumably the rear. A full set of Dobinsons should be level as well - I think you’d be the first to do a full set. (I’ll put my Spring Rate notes To Date at the end here)

As for Desert Rat, their price is usually hard to beat & when my front passenger strut availability was problematic, they got in touch with me, provided me the ARB USA phone number, held the struts while I took a few days to figure things out & then cancelled & refunded the struts while still sending the springs on the initial order timeline. All flawlessly & with emails & phone calls to real people. Like I said before, I first encountered them circa 2003 when I lived in Phoenix & I often run potential purchases through them due to the free shipping, no tax, & reliable service.

SPRING RATES
ARB OME LD Front 2921
50-110# ARB OME MD 2922&2923
115# Nissan OEM
110-220# ARB OME HD Front 2928
?ARB OME HD Rear 2610
160# Ironman Front NISS034B
166# Ironman Rear NISS 035B
175# LR Rear 9446 & 9447
220# Dobinsons Front
225# LR Rear 9448 & 9449
255# Bearmach LR BA 2101
?380#(more likely 200#) AC(4x4Parts)
?King
?TJM

7620c257dc74939caefd468542773f25.jpg

https://view.publitas.com/arb-4x4-accessories-1/old-man-emu-international-application-catalogue-edition-36/page/1

@RainGoat Thank you for the run down of all the various spring rates, so I ultimately decided to to go with a full-set of Dobinson's front and back. Hopefully the 220 spring rate applies to the rear as well. Just an fyi for anyone thinking about doing the same, there is now a (Coupon code) "Fall 10" this will bring the price down to 198.00 per pair. However the rear coils are now sold out according to their site, but I was still able to source and secure a full-set from Ebay $480.00 with free shipping💣💣💣

Thanks again for all of your help.

Edited by CamperDan
  • Like 2

On 11/13/2021 at 3:05 PM, RainGoat said:

Definitely give us a follow-up, both actual numbers (mid fender height, maybe from mid hub to mid fender too) & experience.

Will do most definitely👨🏾‍🔧