Your opinion....

So, last Thursday night I rolled my '86 Pathfinder 3 times. The only damage is to the roof and the driver side. I've already made plans to find a new truck, but now I'm stuck with this Pathy that I'll get around $100 for if I decide to sell it. My thought was to cut the top off (Jeep style), build some type of roll bar and have a drop top/dune buggy Pathfinder.

My questions are. Has anybody done/tried this? Is it going to look retarded? Am I an idiot for even thinking about it?

ON-ON

JCollins

Glad you're ok. There are a few pics of some Pathys that have had their tops cut off. Rob out of Eastern Canada did it after rolling his. He cut off the top and put a 6point (I think it was 6, could be more) cage in the back. Custom made a nice cover for it too. I believe there are pics of it maybe on the AC site or the N4W site.

Could you kinda graft a Hardbody bed on? If you use the sides and back you might be able to slap a fiberglass bed cap on it and have a mount for a tailgate. You retain the front part of the roof and the rest is solid but removeable, sort of like the old K5 Blazers.

That's a good idea too. I lost my license for 6 months after the accident so I think I'll have plenty of time to work it out. My only concern is that Rob's on N4W has an internal roll cage that extends out into the "bed". I'll probably need to have one custom built. :angry: $$$$$$$$

mws, So what you're saying is that I won't need to install a roll cage for stability? I don't use my Pathy for off-roading since there's absolutely no place to ride around here. That would be great if I could do it without the roll cage for now. What do you think?

You won't have as many worries as you would with a unibody. There may be a bit more flex than stock, but I can't imagine it being enough to be a problem. The P/U's use the same basic chassis, and the seperate cab and bed provide no reinforcement. So a topless (early) pathy should be no worse than a stock P/U.

Definitely use a minimum of a 4 point to protect yourself. And going with more points will only make it stronger than stock!

So, I did it! Here's the first pics of my Pathy after surgery. Next I plan to weld on "bed rails", cover the inside of the bed with sheet metal, construct a mini-wall where the back seat was, and spray the whole back end with bedliner.

post-5-1115645150.jpg

Edited by jcollins

The sides are surprisingly solid. I have'nt decided what to do for a tailgate yet. A friend of mine gave me a roll bar from a Dodge p'up, so I'm hoping that I can modify that to fit into the Pathy. Other than that I plan to cover the back end with sheet metal/diamond plate, and to have the local boat cover shop make a soft top for it (with window). The kicker is that now I'm almost forced to put a lift on the front because the back end sits so much higher without all of the extra weight on it! :D Trust me....the pics will definitely keep coming!

I finally found my camera, and got some pics of my pathy yesterday, i am goin out on sunday for some more pics. i am posting because i did the exact same surgery to my truck about 10 months ago... but i also bought it as a total and a roll over that didn't run.

Finally got insuracne on the beast... the day after i got a $540 ticket for no insurance... i knew it was comin...

well, i will get the pics up of mine asap.

c-ya

Scott Lynnwood, wa

Guest 4Hummer

I Know mines a Toyota, But I figured I'd share anyway. I noticed a bunch of hits on my site from this forum so I figured I better see what up.

BTW you guys have some SWEET Trucks.

When you cut the roof off. you need to re-support any pillars you chop threw. Just simply weld in a plate. (doesnt have to be pretty you'll cover it)

On the Runner there were 2 upper roof pillars and the rear pillars Just Weld a PLATE into these spots

Rear Pillar

tn_chop3.jpg

Roof Pillar

tn_chop6.jpg

If you DONT do this you will get top much body Flex, and twist. things will start to crack, and doors will start to not close properly

Next CAP it all in.

I made the cap out of Checker Plate. Its made in 3 pieces the top and sides, I cut a template out of construction paper, transfered that onto the steal, cut that out and welded the 3 pieces back together. (Lots of grinding and welding)

Next spot weld it onto the body and cover the welds with caulking (along the seam)

In this pic you can see me tracing out the side piece in red construction paper, Do this for the inside, Outside, and top, than weld it all together.

tn_chop10.jpg

End result

tn_chop2-1.jpg

I also had a Soft top made to keep the elements out

tn_softtop1.jpg

More info at www.mudrunner.ca

Feel free to ask me any questions you may have

Edited by 4Hummer

Guest 4Hummer
How did you handle replacing the lift gate? Did you make it solid or into a tailgate?

the 1991 to 1995 4Runners (Or as we call them 2nd Gen's) The rear tailgate allready folded down, I just removed the window all the crap inside the tailgate and capped it in

However My Buddy chopped an 88 Cherokee XJ, and just made a custom latch and added some hinges. so it folds down. He was also able to BOOTY fab a rear window back in,

DSC00150_jpg.jpg

Pics of that beast here

http://www.obsessiveoffroadclub.com/ranger...ery/Gallery.htm

Hey 4Hummer, You get some serious props from me on the 4-Runner!! I checked out your page and the whole thing looks like it came like that from the factory! I only hope mine turns out that good!

On-On

JCollins

www.iowanights.com

Hey 4Hummer. I've checked out your website a few times from your other posts on other boards. I used to live in Guelph, so it was nice to see someone from an area I've been too.

Love the 4 Runner.

:beer: