New Member 21 Aug 2022

bamashooter

Greetings. Tried multiple times (months ago) to join the forum. Could never receive confirmation email and no replies from "contact us". Figured it was a server deal somewhere in the world. Retired from federal govt. Purchased '87 Pathfinder several months ago. Not exactly what I was looking for to replace my '89 Trooper but I'm good with it now. Has an A/T which I'm slowly accepting. Aside from a very cracked dash and broken speedo, it's very clean. Runs great though it needs some TLC. I'm slowly repairing, replacing, etc this and that. The previous owner converted to a Weber 38/38. I'm ok with that though it has an idle issue with both high-speed and fully warm. I believe the air/fuel screws are a good starting point. As stated however, it runs perfectly when on the road. Acts like a vacuum leak but I find none above the block.  Just ordered some "funky" (cheap) 31x10.50R15 M/T and very basic (GM-style) 7" silver wheels to replace those tiny 5.5s. Probably be adding manual hubs soon. Other than the height difference, per Google, the dimensions are very close to my '89 4-door Trooper. That really surprised me. Seems much smaller.  Had other pics to share but it appears to be a 150kB limit per post. Anyhow, glad to be here.

Pathfinder 3.jpg

• Like 2

:welcome:

I haven't messed with a 38/38, but the Weber on our snowplow (32/34 I think) has been dead reliable. I like the EFI on my '93, but having worked with '80s EFI on other rigs, I can't fault the PO for the carb swap. Hopefully they did a good job of it. Manual hubs are a good call, one of the best things I've done to mine. 

Given it's an '87, and the trans is working after the carb swap, I assume you've got the three-speed. I'm told it's a stout unit if you don't mind the lack of overdrive. Later models replaced it with a computer-controlled four-speed, but a five-speed manual swap would probably be easier if it comes to that. 

I've got an '89 manual on Dropbox that may come in handy. There were a few things different in the '87, mostly weird engine options, EFI codes that you don't have to worry about, and the aforementioned three-speed. I don't have a PDF of the '87, but I do have a paper manual, so hit me up if you need something from it.

Pictures are kind of annoying here. Easiest to host elsewhere and link in.

Nice looking truck!

• Like 1

Thanks. Yep, basic 3-speed a/t. Seems very good. Currently have the new tires and wheels be mated and balanced. Pick them up in a day or two. On my 89 Trooper, I converted it myself to a Weber 32/36. Had zero knowledge of carbs other than having put a kit in a chainsaw, 2-cycle, etc before. I googled forever and a day trying to get the Weber right. It did fine but had a dieseling issue. Ultimately, I hooked up with Bud Pauge. He ran / runs Weber /Redline USA. What a fantastic and knowledgeable guy. Aside from suit and tie, he races sports cars, 4x4 enthusiast, the whole deal. I still have all the emails where he helped me set up that carb.  We absolutely nailed it with a jet change, resetting float, needle, etc. Of course I had no idea what I was doing but I am pretty good at following instructions. Did it all in my living room. Waited for him to eventually tell me to pound sand but it never happened. Keep in mind this is a very busy individual. Wil be forever grateful to that man. Ultimately, I posted a decent tutorial of the conversion process in a couple of Isuzu forums. I have a factory manual which I hate to say, is the biggest pos I have ever used. Even the little Haynes manual is more useful. I probably in for the long haul. Regarding pics, I use Imgur for hosting. I just thought there was a tiny size limit for posting pics. I'll post one and see if it's allowed. Thanks again.

AxU73r3.jpg

yD6aapk.jpg

That worked.

Edited by bamashooter
  • Like 2

If you can make a two-smoke run right, you're ahead of me. We bought our Weber used, and I guess the last guy knew what he was doing, because we pretty much dropped it on and went.

I've got a Haynes or Chilton or something that tried to cover the 720 and W/D21 all in one. Haven't pulled it out in years. I might just be used to where the Nissan manual hides the useful stuff. I bought an '87 Ford F150 service manual a while ago, and I can't find crap in that one.

• Like 1

On 8/26/2022 at 8:05 AM, Slartibartfast said:

If you can make a two-smoke run right, you're ahead of me. We bought our Weber used, and I guess the last guy knew what he was doing, because we pretty much dropped it on and went.

I've got a Haynes or Chilton or something that tried to cover the 720 and W/D21 all in one. Haven't pulled it out in years. I might just be used to where the Nissan manual hides the useful stuff. I bought an '87 Ford F150 service manual a while ago, and I can't find crap in that one.

Pretty much the same for me. Got the "lesser" manual for a better working-level reference source.  Put the new tires and wheels on  2 days ago. I'll mess with the carb and other stuff as temps eventually cool down. Really impressed with the V6.

YbfeQ7J.jpg

On 8/26/2022 at 8:05 AM, Slartibartfast said:

Edited by bamashooter
  • Like 2

Welcome to NPORA! :welcome: That is a great looking Pathy, love to see a clean 2-door! The new wheels and tires compliment it nicely. Hopefully you can get those carb issues sorted out, I'm completely out of my element with that stuff.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mjotrainbrain said:

Welcome to NPORA! :welcome: That is a great looking Pathy, love to see a clean 2-door! The new wheels and tires compliment it nicely. Hopefully you can get those carb issues sorted out, I'm completely out of my element with that stuff.

Thanks. Sure hope so. Other than the high-speed (cold) / fully-warmed idle issues which is not a show stopper by any means, the vehicle runs great. I sold my old Harley recently which will bankroll my needs, within reason. Really looking forward to the changes and upgrades. Couple of interior shots. Cargo area looks brand new.

NcvOzEu.jpg

bZMdVU3.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I like it very much. Please humor me and consider the following: give it a truck bed but leave that triangle window and turn it into a baby monster truck.

Like a trucked out el camino, that thing would be majestic, where it should be.

Or give it a sleek aluminum roll top, maybe the old top could be made into a camper?

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, Soul_13 said:

I like it very much. Please humor me and consider the following: give it a truck bed but leave that triangle window and turn it into a baby monster truck.

Like a trucked out el camino, that thing would be majestic, where it should be.

Or give it a sleek aluminum roll top, maybe the old top could be made into a camper?

LoL. More stuff. Warn hubs, new shocks replaced factory originals, Fender extensions which were costly and evidently got ripped-off in the process (live and learn).

2FUvHyT.jpg

6vUeW6P.jpg

1d0oaQF.jpg

• Like 2

LoL. More stuff. Warn hubs, new shocks replaced factory originals, Fender extensions which were costly and evidently got ripped-off in the process (live and learn).

2FUvHyT.jpg
6vUeW6P.jpg
1d0oaQF.jpg

Keep posting. I can't vote for yours as truck of the month until you're 3 months in and have 100 posts...apparently. What's up with that super clean lookin interior? Did it transfer over to the engine bay?

Warn's are nice, I've enjoyed them, and I believe have paid for themselves.

Engine bay is reasonably clean and a bit lean. The prior owner converted it to a Weber 38/38. Blew me a way because years back I converted my 89 Trooper to a weber. The Pathfinder replaced the Trooper after I gave it up to a friend of mine. I don't believe the carb has had any meaningful adjustment. Runs super but cold idle is finicky and warmed idle can be too low or just right. Acts like a vacuum leak but have yet to find one. I'll dick with it in cooler weather. 

Just a passing thought about a crazy mod. Chop it from the B-pillar rearward, install a couple of ribs and go with a canvas / "soft" top shell. I'm also considering a simple, custom instrument panel with simple numerous gauges. I have a "white" numbers cluster I pulled from a 93 but not sure if I want the hassle of re-plugging connectors to adapt 87 - 93. Lots of other ideas. Here's the ol' Trooper to which I did much.

cWD3qLb.png

yH9If9M.png

vxopqZ2.jpg

2008: Trooper "upgrade" commences. lol

eGDOav8.jpg

• Like 1

Engine bay is reasonably clean and a bit lean. The prior owner converted it to a Weber 38/38. Blew me a way because years back I converted my 89 Trooper to a weber. The Pathfinder replaced the Trooper after I gave it up to a friend of mine. I don't believe the carb has had any meaningful adjustment. Runs super but cold idle is finicky and warmed idle can be too low or just right. Acts like a vacuum leak but have yet to find one. I'll dick with it in cooler weather. 

Just a passing thought about a crazy mod. Chop it from the B-pillar rearward, install a couple of ribs and go with a canvas / "soft" top shell. I'm also considering a simple, custom instrument panel with simple numerous gauges. I have a "white" numbers cluster I pulled from a 93 but not sure if I want the hassle of re-plugging connectors to adapt 87 - 93. Lots of other ideas. Here's the ol' Trooper to which I did much.

cWD3qLb.png

yH9If9M.png

vxopqZ2.jpg

2008: Trooper "upgrade" commences. lol
eGDOav8.jpg

My buick has a mechanical choke on its carb and would give me something similar, albeit with the legendary consistency carbs are known for. Things got better when I noticed the choke cover had a hole in it and I got rid of the points. The fiat spider I used to own had webber carbs. Can't recall I ever messed with them.

The simplicity of classics, to be able to customize without huge aftermarket support, or no support in the case of the buick.

That trooper looks mega utilitarian. Box on wheels. I like the different names they released it as. I don't think I've heard or read of another car released under so many different names. Apparently even in it's home country it got a name change after release, lol.

• 1 month later...

Finally got around to messing around a little with the weber. The carb mounts atop two adapters, Hard to tell with a spray if all mating surfaces had vacuum leaks, only 1, etc. Sprayed all around with water and RPM's went crazy. The base, trapezoid-shaped plate attaches to the manifold with 4 flush-mounted bolts. All were loose to the point of being rotated with the tip of my finger. Each was heavily coated with anti-seize. Insane. Cleaned all surfaces and replaced the gaskets with rubber/cork. I stuck each surface with Gasgacinch. I did the carb to adapter with red Permatex. Let each get slightly tacky and tightened Did one layer at a time. Evidently I stopped the leaks.

Had a terrible squealing noise somewhere which could only be heard with the hood open. Several guys looked, listened, etc. Could never pinpoint the source to include removing belts, pulleys, all that. The high-pitched screech was evidently part of the vacuum leak. Must have impacted the brakes as well. After replacing all rear brake parts and bleeding entire system, it had that deal wear first thing in the morning, it would have that brake growl. As soon as I was on the road, no more growl when braking. Now, no more growl. Also seems to have smoother, consistent shifting.

Better but still needs attention. Idle was all over the place prior to and smelly. I swapped from 55s to 50s (idle jets) to lean it out a bit. It's much better. Had a little, random dieseling in the beginning but not now. I did purchase an anti-dieseling solenoid as a last resort. Not knowing this vehicle at all or most mechanical stuff for that matter, not sure if I can simply rotate the dizzy to change timing. Have found very little info on converting this motor to carb. Very, very drivable but I want more (lol).

Well that'll throw off your mixture! Good catch.

In standard form, yes, you set the ignition timing by turning the distributor while watching the marks on the crank pulley with a timing light. At a warm idle you should have around 12° for TBI or 15° for MPFI. Carb swapped, I don't know. Are you running the stock distributor or something else? IIRC the TBI computer will still make spark with a carb swap, but the timing advance doesn't work right. I think somebody was making a Chevy HEI style setup to fit the VG30.

JamesRich did a thread on his carb swap, have a look at that if you haven't.

I believe that's true. All the computer stuff is now dead to the best of my knowledge. Perhaps the distributor now operates at full advance. The instructions for the Redline pressure regulator speak to ignition timing and spark. It state the Nissan 4/6 cylinders (of that era) are based on the crank position sensor. It goes on to state no dizzy swap is required and further states this conversion should work well on 8 BTDC as compared to the factory 12 of mine. I'll try to find that thread. Thanks buddy.

Eastern Washington? I spent a lot of time at Yakima when stationed at Ft. Lewis. Liked it.