Timing chain guide replacement

colinnwn

Has anyone had their timing chain guides replaced on a VQ? Was it possible to do with the engine in the vehicle, and do you know approx how many shop hours , or the cost you were charged?

I still have my Pathfinder that I think needs the guides replaced. I've been driving an Acura MDX which I don't really like. I'd like to sell it now while the market's hot. But to do so I have to get the Pathfinder running good enough to get me through about 6 months until my father in law might be selling his F-150 I could buy. I looked at buying a junkyard engine for the Pathfinder ~$700 and was quoted about $1,800 in installation cost. But that's really more than I want to spend for 6 months. At that rate I'd just call a wrecker to tow the Pathfinder off, and drive the Acura 6 more months, hoping that the used car market is still good.

Thanks.

Actually scratch this. My wife just told me she would not want to go camping until we had the replacement vehicle. She feels like the Pathfinder is loud and uncomfortable. So if I can verify it still runs good enough to move then I'll see if anyone here wants it. If it won't start anymore , I now have 7 days to get it towed off probably to one of those nonprofit car auction places near me. 

Edited by colinnwn

Vq35 timing chain guides are typically pretty long lasting, but to answer your original post, yeah the guides can be replaced inside the engine bay. Ive done it myself and it took forever so I'd expect over 1k in cost to have a shop do it.