How to Add ABS to Pathfinder R50

Hello,

I need some help guys, Recently I've upgraded my brakes to BBK (EBC Stage 5 Kit in front and Rear Drum with DFC). Now my issue is tire gets lock but it slides for 1.5m apprx or more depends on speed. I'm building my rig for overlanding and so its heavily loaded (2800 Kg GVW at the moment).

My car is GCC spec base line and so it didnt come with ABS. How do i add ABS to this, is it complex or just the modules plug and play and relearn the ECU for added module?

I didn't know R50s were available without ABS! Different requirements in different markets, I guess. I don't know if the UAE-spec ABS was the same as the US-spec ABS, but you can get the US-spec service manual here and have a look at the BR section to see what should be where and which components yours is missing (and whether the wiring is in the harness already). The system looks surprisingly self-contained, which is encouraging. Good luck!

8 hours ago, razakkn said:

Hello,

I need some help guys, Recently I've upgraded my brakes to BBK (EBC Stage 5 Kit in front and Rear Drum with DFC). Now my issue is tire gets lock but it slides for 1.5m apprx or more depends on speed. I'm building my rig for overlanding and so its heavily loaded (2800 Kg GVW at the moment).

My car is GCC spec base line and so it didnt come with ABS. How do i add ABS to this, is it complex or just the modules plug and play and relearn the ECU for added module?

Without know what "GCC spec base" is/has, if the truck fully lacks ABS it would be extremely complex to add it.  You'd basically need to tear down the entire truck to get things installed, depending on what components are, or are not, there.

The system consists of a pump, controller, and sensors...plus the hard lines, plus any wiring (couldn't say if it's pre-wired), PLUS components that actually can support the ABS sensors (i.e. front spindles and rear axle housing/differential with sensor ports; tone rings on rotating components like CVs and axle shafts, etc.). 

As far as I know, all US-spec R50s had at least rear/2-wheel ABS.  I don't know if that holds true for ME-spec truck.  If ABS is a must, you're far better off moving your equipment to another truck, in my opinion.

Edited by hawairish
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

15 hours ago, Slartibartfast said:

I didn't know R50s were available without ABS! Different requirements in different markets, I guess. I don't know if the UAE-spec ABS was the same as the US-spec ABS, but you can get the US-spec service manual here and have a look at the BR section to see what should be where and which components yours is missing (and whether the wiring is in the harness already). The system looks surprisingly self-contained, which is encouraging. Good luck!

Thanks for the manuals. I'll have look into it. I've examined the relays and wiring is in place so i assume its only the sensors or so. I'll refer to manual for further details

15 hours ago, hawairish said:

Without know what "GCC spec base" is/has, if the truck fully lacks ABS it would be extremely complex to add it.  You'd basically need to tear down the entire truck to get things installed, depending on what components are, or are not, there.

The system consists of a pump, controller, and sensors...plus the hard lines, plus any wiring (couldn't say if it's pre-wired), PLUS components that actually can support the ABS sensors (i.e. front spindles and rear axle housing/differential with sensor ports; tone rings on rotating components like CVs and axle shafts, etc.). 

As far as I know, all US-spec R50s had at least rear/2-wheel ABS.  I don't know if that holds true for ME-spec truck.  If ABS is a must, you're far better off moving your equipment to another truck, in my opinion.

Thanks for your concern, l've checked for the wiring harness, and so in preliminary check the relay is empty but wiring is there. Let me see whats best i can do. I'll keep posted for the updates. Right now Pathy is going through paint job and other mechanical works, so if its doable in this state i may do it.

My pathy is loaded pretty heavy as well and in my experience the ABS has never really worked great anyway. It doesn’t seem to prevent slides, so much as serve as a warning that I’m currently sliding. 

More to the point I don’t see a need to get that close to the limit of traction anyway.  I don’t drive it like a sports car and always maintain good spacing and awareness, so worst case scenario I’m able to stop it just fine with an even and smooth application of hard braking. Had quite a few morons pull out in front of me from side streets and the abs never kicked in. I guess it also carries over from riding bikes without ABS for so long. The only times ABS has kicked in have been on slushy snow and sheet ice, but really nothing can help you there and I was still sliding while the abs pulsed away. Maybe it helps on dirt roads a bit but again, drive sensibly and you won’t need to worry about it. 

Oh yeah and think hard about the tires you use. Chunky mudders look sick but a nice AT is gonna have way more grip on pavement and do almost everything an MT can do off road. On that one trip this year near Glenwood I was in a hurry trying to get home and aired down without verifying the pressure because I couldn’t find my gauge. My front end was messed up so two wheel drive and it turned out my pressure was around 33psi when I verified it later. The ATs still had plenty of grip

• Like 1

I second the above. I recently had to do an emergency stop (on asphalt) and the ABS let me slid for about a second before engaging. Luckily I wasn't going fast.

I'm used to the almost instantaneous ABS response in my E39 so yeah, ABS in the R50 is mostly an afterthought it seems.

On 8/15/2021 at 8:54 PM, PathyGig12 said:

My pathy is loaded pretty heavy as well and in my experience the ABS has never really worked great anyway. It doesn’t seem to prevent slides, so much as serve as a warning that I’m currently sliding. 

More to the point I don’t see a need to get that close to the limit of traction anyway.  I don’t drive it like a sports car and always maintain good spacing and awareness, so worst case scenario I’m able to stop it just fine with an even and smooth application of hard braking. Had quite a few morons pull out in front of me from side streets and the abs never kicked in. I guess it also carries over from riding bikes without ABS for so long. The only times ABS has kicked in have been on slushy snow and sheet ice, but really nothing can help you there and I was still sliding while the abs pulsed away. Maybe it helps on dirt roads a bit but again, drive sensibly and you won’t need to worry about it. 

Oh yeah and think hard about the tires you use. Chunky mudders look sick but a nice AT is gonna have way more grip on pavement and do almost everything an MT can do off road. On that one trip this year near Glenwood I was in a hurry trying to get home and aired down without verifying the pressure because I couldn’t find my gauge. My front end was messed up so two wheel drive and it turned out my pressure was around 33psi when I verified it later. The ATs still had plenty of grip

Thanks for sharing your experience, well i've KO2 tires and the concern for ABS was for wild life's, they may get in between anytime.. so just to have safety for not skidding away from path.  

• Like 1

The ABS in the r50 isn't particularly smart. I wouldn't bother adding it. Personally I actually found it more dangerous than useful as I only ever triggered it on loose surfaces where locking the brakes would have been more beneficial.

• 1 month later...
On 8/16/2021 at 1:24 PM, razakkn said:

Thanks for sharing your experience, well i've KO2 tires and the concern for ABS was for wild life's, they may get in between anytime.. so just to have safety for not skidding away from path.  

how are the yellow brake pads compared to stock?

On 8/16/2021 at 1:24 PM, razakkn said:

I just switched to ebc brakes. They're decent for the price. I read the pads last about a year.