Motor Upgrade Options?

Daily driver w/mild off-road excursion when camping.

93 4x4 with 282K miles. Swapped the transmission out for one from a 2006 Xterra a couple of years & 25k miles ago. Have a couple of bent valves (thanks timing belt), so it's time to start thinking about a new motor.

What are my best options? I'd prefer to stay with a Nissan motor so as to not have as many potential compatibility issues. I'm thinking of rebuilding one from a junker.

Thanks in advance for your advice. 

J.

Edited by JonEdanger

The usual/easiest swap is the VG33 from the early R50 Pathfinder, first-gen Xterra, or first-gen Frontier. It runs off the stock computer if you keep your old intake. You can keep the V belts using an adapter, or use the VG33's flat belts instead (easier if your donor is an X or Fronty). This thread covers boring and porting a 3.3 for more power and swapping it into a WD21. Lots of good info there, even if you're not going as far as he did.

IIRC someone tried putting a Nissan VH45DE V8 in one of these, but it didn't work out. I've seen GM 3800, 4.3l, and LT1 engines swapped in, though. And of course people whack turbos and supers on VGs too.

Are you sure the trans donor was an '06? I thought those only fit up to '04.

Are you sure the trans donor was an '06? I thought those only fit up to '04.

It was sold to me as an '06. I'd have to look up the old thread where it listed through '06

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It was sold to me as an '06. I'd have to look up the old thread where it listed through '06

Of course it's entirely possible I have been saying '06 by mistake for the past two years. Just turned 60

The fastest way to get it back on the road is just another VG30 to drop in it. But of course we all want more power. What I would do is the VG33 or the VG34 if you don't mind a little more work (The thread @Slartibartfast linked has the details. Not really anything on this but you can also swap the supercharged VG33 from an Xterra or Frontier into the wd21 as well. May need to modify the hood or do a body lift for that, though.