Revolution Sensor? or Speed Sensor? LIMP MODE!

Please Help!  1992 SE-V6 4x4 Auto WD21

I'm stuck in limp mode. Now reverse is gone too. Won't even roll in Neutral.

Before this, Truck was driven 3 hours with the exhaust pipe disconnected just before the cat (cat was stolen).

I think something was fried from the hot smoke, but maybe this was about to happen anyway, as it was giving me signs that were exactly as another post on here. (not shifting into OD)

I did the tranny diagnostic and got the code for the Revolution Sensor. I called Nissan and they said $230 but it's in Japan, and that I should check napa etc.

I found one on nissanpartsdeal.com and searched THAT part number on Rockauto and ordered it immediately for $115.

But now I'm seeing the invoice and it says "Speed Sensor" #3193541X63 https://www.rockauto.com/en/parts/ntk,AU0005,speed+sensor,10634

Can anyone help me identify this part? I know I have to lower the tranny a bit to get at the rev sensor, but what if I have a different part? (VSS?)

I will try changing the tranny fluid and filter, see if I find any crud in there. The sensor arrives early next week, I paid for express because I need this fixed!!

Please comment if you have any suggestions, I've been reading NPORA for days, my brain needs a rest!

Thanks!

The picture of that part is not the type of sensor that would be used for running your speedometer if that's your concern.  What you linked looks like a revolution sensor, but... it is detecting the SPEED of the revolution so that's why it's named as such.

Wow awesome news!

Thanks silverton!

My speedo is fine, as far as a know.

I can't seem to find an actual pic of the Revolution Sensor when it's uninstalled. 

Many pics seem to have threads on the sensor, and a nut to hold it in... So I'm kinda worried about pulling the old one out.

If anyone has a picture of theirs, or the location, that would help a lot.

I've seen all the diagrams online and they're fine, but a real picture would be super useful. I found an old post with one, but it's expired.

Thanks!

I just noticed my Front Driveshaft appears to have spewed all it's grease from the nipple 

Is this a common wear problem? or could it be a result of the hot exhaust smoke beside it?

---

I've located the wire for the Revolution Sensor under the hood, and followed it back to the top of the transmission.

I sprayed the the bolts on the crossmember, gonna try to crack them shortly. I've read that I can just wiggle out the support and lower the tranny just enough to get the sensor out and replace it... anyone actually done this before? outside on the un-level street? 40 degrees Celsius and no shade? (that's 104 Farenheit)

Also, gonna attempt the tranny flush. Any advice on that? Iol

So..

I drained the tranny fluid and refilled it with fresh stuff.

I removed the cross-member tranny support and lowered the tranny to access the top of it and removed the Revolution Sensor.

I installed a new NTK Revolution Sensor from Rockauto and put everything back together.

Had the battery off all day hoping to reset the computer.

Went out this morning, dropped the jacks, re-attached the battery and went for a test drive...

STILL IN LIMP MODE!! STILL NO REVERSE!!!

I went thru the steps to pull a code again, and it STILL gives me the Revolution Sensor code...??

Q: Does anyone know how to RESET the atcu? or REMOVE the code from the computer???

PLEASE HELP I need to move out of my apartment today, and this is my only vehicle lol

On 6/27/2021 at 5:57 PM, Sassafrasparilla said:

I just noticed my Front Driveshaft appears to have spewed all it's grease from the nipple 

Is this a common wear problem? or could it be a result of the hot exhaust smoke beside it?

If this is a recent issue then maybe it means something, but in my experience the area around grease nipples is just generally messy. There's black grease lines all the way across the undercarriage of my 4Runner where excess grease gets flung from each nipple on the driveshafts and I consider it completely normal.

I would be checking the wiring harness for breaks.

No Reverse is not good though. That’s usually the first thing to fail. I drove my old wd21 for a year with no reverse before I replaced the trans.

Major Issue is GETTING OUT OF LIMP MODE.

I replaced the Revolution Sensor, and the CODE is still there.

Can I try unplugging the ATCU? I heard it's in the rear passenger wheel well.

Any other ideas?

44 minutes ago, adamzan said:

I would be checking the wiring harness for breaks.

Wire harness looks fine where I plugged in the new sensor.. Is there any other spot that might have fried?

I did shorten my "fusible link" attached to my Positive Terminal on the battery, because the thieves cut right through it.

Could that have anything to do with anything? I cut them off flush with the plastic, as long as I could leave them, then put them together into a ring terminal, and onto the battery that way. The new connector was too expensive..

As long as the fusible links are still there to protect your circuit you're ok. 

I've ran into the same code you had a long time ago when I was stuck in a mud hole. Then not long after that, I had a clogged cat. Irrelevant, though. 

No harm in disconnecting the TCM and turning on the truck. Power light may flash due to it (it's been a while). See if you still get codes when you start your truck. see what the codes are. then reinstall the TCM and try again.