92 Parking Brake Cable Seized

gamellott

I have had this problem for years and I was unable to find the right cable then, and I'm revisiting it now. The left rear cable is seized and it needs to be replaced if I ever want to use that feature ever again. The problem is that what is on the vehicle is completely different than what parts are available for this year.

I figured since I wasn't the only owner, maybe someone swapped out the axle or something in the last 30 years.

I have done a search through the years, and the one for a 96 appears similar on the backing plate mount, but it's not quite an exact fitment to the backing plate that I have. It's similar, but not the same. The R50 cable is clocked at 90 degrees from the mounting bolts, and mine appears to be at about a 45 degree to the mounting bolts. 

Does anyone know of identifying features that I might be able to use to clue me in to what it may have come out of, or is there someone in the Pacific Northwest that could/would make custom brake cables?

I have put on new pads and rotors on the rear with no fitment issues and all of the parts appear to be the same between 88-95... I'm kinda stumped on where to go from here if I want to actually fix this problem.

Are you looking at drum or disk cables? There's a different PN for the disk cables. Looking on Nissanpartsdeal it looks like there are actually three cables--early drum, late drum, and disk. PNs for disk are 36531-42G11 for left rear and 36530-42G11 for right rear. Both discontinued, but the PNs may show up elsewhere. Some info and (old, probably dead) leads here.

• Like 1

@Slartibartfast I did find those part numbers but not that description. 

I did a lot of searching and I believe I have found the correct OEM PN: 36531-42G16 which superseded the 42G11 pn. I'm not finding it at the normal places and it appears as though the Rona is causing shipping problems.... 

Found one on ebay.... and on Amayama.... Direct shipping from Japan ? The hard part was just finding the correct part... Just wish it had pictures of the part to do a visual comparison...

@Steve_RI I believe the hardpoint on the cable ends is the adapter/brake shoe end. The attachment end seems to be universal. No one seems to carry the correct "Shoe End" that I/we may need to have because we don't have the universally accepted rear drum brakes..... Rear Drum actually seems to be the norm, not the exception. The few cables that the aftermarket has shown to me, have been crap. Acceptable as a working part, but still crap.... but still doesn't work for my application. Going forward with my Amayama purchase.... Hopefully, it's the correct one.

Yes, the only difference really in these cables are these ends and the overall length.  If they show you a picture at least you will be able to tell what side you are getting.  The shoe end is the spring loaded piece that's bolted to the housing.  I'm in the rust belt so reviving the cable did not work, but you may want to try clamping a rubber hose over the end, add some PB Blaster or the like,  get an air gun nozzle sealed against the other end of the tube and hit it with some compressed air.  That may work.  There are some youtube vids out there on the technique.  

• 3 weeks later...

about 4 years ago I was in search for the elusive parking brake cable for my 1991 SE with disc brakes in the rear. 

I searched for months. 

I ended up finding a brand new one from https://www.euro4x4parts.com/en

paid a bit for shipping but it was a perfect fit.  At the time Total was $73.86

Part number Quantity Description
BCA2499 1

Parking brake - cable

part #               qty  description                                    price
  BCA2499-1315   1   Parking brake - cable                       29.17 EUR
  Express delivery                                               34.00 EUR
-----------------------------------------------------------------
  total                                                     63.17 EUR

Edited by msavides
added price
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 3/2/2022 at 4:09 PM, adamzan said:

Thank you for posting this. I got some used from a member here but one of them finally snapped. Guess I'll order new from that site.

I purchased my cables through Amayama Trading Co. in Japan.