Headlights

The switch is a common failure point, but it's got one contact for each filament (left low, right low, left high, right high) so usually you'll only lose one side, in one position. At least that's what mine did. Yours sounds more like the switch isn't getting power. Do the parking lights still work?

Posted (edited)

Vampire bat? They tend to consume power... you might want to try a fruit bat next time! 

Seriously though: I would think that a plug has come undone since full power comes direct to switch at the column and most of the time only one circuit cuts out ( as the fine gentlemen above noted)  except for that one guy who lost both high and low beams at the same time.... guy from Saskatoon?

Edited by SpecialWarr
can't spell sas-ka-toon correctly...

• 5 weeks later...
On 5/23/2021 at 3:37 AM, Slartibartfast said:

The switch is a common failure point, but it's got one contact for each filament (left low, right low, left high, right high) so usually you'll only lose one side, in one position. At least that's what mine did. Yours sounds more like the switch isn't getting power. Do the parking lights still work?

both headlight bulbs don't generally go out at the same time either, but it's still something I'd check first.

The contact switches for these headlights often goes bad, maybe due to soot-like building in the contacts which happened in my case. My guess is that these switches are under high current, I got burned simply by touching these contacts when I was testing it. Sanding the contacts with 1000 grit works for me, but these problems will come back again. To ensure these problems would be minimized or hopefully go away, I recommend putting the headlight system in conjunction with relay, there should be a guide somewhere here in this forum.

I was going to say to check for continuity, but from the OP's statement, the wire continuity seems fine. 

1 hour ago, GkLapp said:

The contact switches for these headlights often goes bad, maybe due to soot-like building in the contacts which happened in my case. My guess is that these switches are under high current, I got burned simply by touching these contacts when I was testing it. Sanding the contacts with 1000 grit works for me, but these problems will come back again. To ensure these problems would be minimized or hopefully go away, I recommend putting the headlight system in conjunction with relay, there should be a guide somewhere here in this forum.

I was going to say to check for continuity, but from the OP's statement, the wire continuity seems fine. 

The power that is delivered to the headlights is passed through the switch.

All the current for the headlights goes through the switch, and through those little angel-hair wires. I built a relay harness for mine so the switch is only passing enough current to engage the relays, and the relays have thicker wiring to the headlights. Should help keep the switch alive and supply a little more juice to the lights.