Mr Regular reviews the R50

EricCR

He ripped on it! I was actually coming here to post this vid since it just popped up in my YouTube feed

Im surprised he came down so hard on the r50 but not the 4th gen runner, being that they are so similar in style and purpose. I don’t disagree that theyre a bit boring before modifications, but I’m not sure how he concluded it was more boring than any other car in the world?

• Like 2

I don’t know what crap that was but I hope to never see one of videos again. He thought he was being funny and witty but actually contributed nothing to the vehicle’s specs, performance, or heritage. A worthless “review”. I do, however, agree that the r50 is rather boring but only to those that don’t understand utility and capability of this vehicle. Don’t even get me starting on his voice...

Sent from my Pathfinder

2 hours ago, R50JR said:

I don’t know what crap that was but I hope to never see one of videos again. He thought he was being funny and witty but actually contributed nothing to the vehicle’s specs, performance, or heritage. A worthless “review”. I do, however, agree that the r50 is rather boring but only to those that don’t understand utility and capability of this vehicle. Don’t even get me starting on his voice...

Sent from my Pathfinder

Normally he is more in depth with the reviews, I’m thinking he just has something against the R50. It’s pretty unusual to find one of his reviews where he doesn’t bother to dig into the history or character of the car. This one felt like he took a definitive stance from the beginning and stuck with it rather than weighing each factor individually.

But then again his reviews are not really supposed to mean a whole lot, they mainly exist for comedic purposes. Sometimes they’re great, sometimes they fall flat. It’s mainly the cars that he has personal experience with that he gives good reviews, and the other ones he just goes off of a first overall impression and stupid voices to get a laugh. When I first got mine I remember it wasn’t exactly super exciting coming from a small red audi, but the pathys really grow on you the more you use them and modify them. You have to own one to understand I guess 

• Like 2

Regular Car Reviews is an acquired taste. Their humor does click with me but I can see how it's not everybody's cup of tea (for comparison, I hate Doug DeMuro but most people like him).

They are not really car reviewers and you shouldn't watch their videos expecting that. The biggest draw IMO is how they accurately relate a car to the people who buy/drive them and how they can describe a driving experience by using weird analogies.

I laughed at their starting 4Runner Coke vs Pathfinder Pepsi comparison, so on point.

TL;DR: If you don't know Mr Regular by now, you probably won't understand or like his videos.

Edited by EricCR

I mean he's not wrong if you're looking at the pathfinder as an on-the-road, get from point A to point B, vehicle. It doesn't do anything great, performance is meh, and comforts are limited. 

It didnt look like they took it offroad which I would think is the number one reason we but this car. It does 90% of what a 4runner does at half the price. Maybe even 1/3 now with covid prices on toyotas. 

• Like 5

3 hours ago, EricCR said:

Regular Car Reviews is an acquired taste. Their humor does click with me but I can see how it's not everybody's cup of tea (for comparison, I hate Doug DeMuro but most people like him).

They are not really car reviewers and you shouldn't watch their videos expecting that. The biggest draw IMO is how they accurately relate a car to the people who buy/drive them and how they can describe a driving experience by using weird analogies.

I laughed at their starting 4Runner Coke vs Pathfinder Pepsi comparison, so on point.

TL;DR: If you don't know Mr Regular by now, you probably won't understand or like his videos.

But what about American 4Runner Coke vs Mexican Pathfinder Pepsi?

lol. I know exactly what you're talking about. We still get the proper, diabetes-inducing coke down here (as well as the Pepsi).

I'm fine with Mr Regular roasting the Pathy because it's not his kind of car (in fact he rarely likes any car). He didn't really take pricing into account nor a lot of other things that make the R50 come out on top. I don't think he has driven a stock 3rd gen 4Runner (I did, and the Pathy I ended up buying was superior). He tends to like quirky and purpose-built rides (hence why it kept comparing it to a heavily modded 1st gen 4Runner). The R50 is good at everything but not exceptional, so for the uninitiated it's a boring car.

He is completely right in that Nissan never made up their minds about what the Pathfinder was supposed to be. Toyota did it better: Keep the 4Runner as the sturdy off-road capable one and the Highlander as the mall-friendly family SUV.

I mean, he reviewed a Mercury Mariner about a year ago and said that it was the most boring car ever.

• Like 1

^^Born nailed it IMO. The things that endear the R50 to off-roaders (the rear suspension flex, the low-range transfer case) aren't going to show up in an on-road test, and most people who see a stock R50 won't think to take it off-road. Most original buyers probably didn't, either. If your only experience is driving one around town, all you're gonna see is another bloaty 2000s SUV for driving the kids to places they don't want to go, built around the time Nissan stopped giving a damn.

RCR can get pretty in love with himself, but he has his moments.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Slartibartfast said:

^^Born nailed it IMO. The things that endear the R50 to off-roaders (the rear suspension flex, the low-range transfer case) aren't going to show up in an on-road test, and most people who see a stock R50 won't think to take it off-road. Most original buyers probably didn't, either. If your only experience is driving one around town, all you're gonna see is another bloaty 2000s SUV for driving the kids to places they don't want to go, built around the time Nissan stopped giving a damn.

RCR can get pretty in love with himself, but he has his moments.

RIght!?!?! My mom never took mine off road really ever when she still daily drove it, she hit lots of dirt back country roads but never any real mountain roads. she only ever used 4H for the winter months in southern Alberta. The whole time I was waiting for him to take it down a dirt road but he didn't. He basically walked around it, juiced it on the highway and went off of that. Though they do cruise the highway very nicely and can maintain speed better then some of the little trash piles on the road today, they do shine better off road when you give them the chance. Even though i am bias to not liking the video outcome due to the fact i own an R50, i watch RCR and he really didnt do a great job on these in this video. Very lackluster all around

• Like 1

He has a first person camera angle video of him driving a second gen Xterra and there is a written article either by him or his sidekick Roman that discusses the first gen Xterra. It’s very apparent that he doesn’t know much about either one to start with and he picks up on the basics about each one while doing a quick bit of research for his content. Basically mocks the name a bit for being a try hard name, talks about how mundane vibes are that it gives off. Talks about it it’s crude suspension, talks about skid plates, body on frame design and simplicity. It then clicks in his mind this is the stuff that matters and he talks about it in a “you know what, this is a cool vehicle hidden in a plastic panel disguise” kind of way ?
I don’t think he cares much for Nissan suvs for whatever reason 

I can get past whatever opinion he has, but if this is the theme of his car reviews, I hope to never see them again either.  I stopped watching long before it ended, but had mentally stepped out of whatever church/hell he was fantasizing about.  He may as well been comparing Corvettes to Tercels.

The R50 in question was supposedly an LE rig but it had an SE interior with manual cloth seats, and tan no less, lending to the boring theme. The poor, painfully long run-ons of attempted humor aside- he also seemed to continue comparing a first gen lifted 4runner to a stock R50 Pathfinder. If i had to compare like for like when talking about a 3rd generation 4Runner and R50 Pathfinder they both use the same nasty fake wood plastic trim, both had a great v6 ( Toyota 3.4 180hp vs Nissan 3.5 249hp) and both had potential for the person looking to modify their vehicles. I personally think the LE leather interior more on the Pathfinder but to each their own. As for the exterior- they both get ho-hum ratings in the looks department, though I will say the 3.5 QX4 gets top marks out of all 3 options in my book. Doubly so with the simple addition of a lift and meaty tires.

The T-cases on LE model R50's had the AWD system which makes it far more capable as a road vehicle than the 4Runner ever could be, and still able to shift into 4L to tackle challenging obstacles. That said I think the 4Runners came with rear differential locks on some models. Clearly with the off road enthusiast in mind. Our LSD's are pretty useless and yet many people have been able to take stock Pathfinders through some very rugged and demanding situations. 

I will say the quality of his video production isn't terrible...so there is that. 

• Like 1

Yeah, the cloth seats struck me as weird. The few LE's I saw before buying my SE had their leather seats completely destroyed so perhaps the PO replaced them.

Getting upset at RCR for their "reviews" is like watching Top Gear expecting serious automotive journalism. It's a comedy YouTube channel. Whether it's funny or interesting to some of us and not others, well, that's a matter of having different tastes. He gives abstract reviews and deals more with the surreal aspect of driving a car. There are plenty of other YT channels and established car shows that talk about hp, 0-60 and off road capabilities.

His recent Olds Hurst video was great IMO.

Edited by EricCR
  • Like 1

Some people think the UK version of The Office was better than the US version, but I think they both sucked.

My only complaint about what I saw: it was neither funny nor serious, and just wasn't entertaining.  I love a good roast and tangent/witty thoughts to hammer a point, but this was only drab monologue.  Some people only get a first impression.

• Like 1

Opinions are like a**holes, everyone has one. This guy from what I can gather is he is trying the serious/satirical shtick in the vain of the likes of AvE, not too serious but serious enough to get a bee in the Pathfinder communities bonnet.

In my opinion (a**hole ?) I reckon Tyler's latest video sums it all up pretty well, and presents all our defenses and Mr Regular's inaccuracies, I don't think we could ask much more than that with Tyler stepping up defending our community, in a great facts based video.

My opinion on coke vs pepsi argument, well I don't think you can go wrong with any of the Japanese mid-range/sized 4x4 wagons: Pathfinder/xterra, 4Runner/Surf, Challenger, Rocky/Feroza, Amigo/Fronterra and so on...  the whole Japanese range of gear has been built to a standard of "make it the best we can" and the Japanese excel at that with the aforementioned vehicles all being relatively bullet proof (due to detuned engines with strong drive train formula), economical to purchase, and parts still being readily available for most models.

All have their quirks and known issues, but it is just that, they are "known" issues, with the advent of the interwebs we can do a quick search of what may have grabbed our attention on marketplace and you can read every person who has been arsed to record their experiences on [insert model] and build an opinion on weather it is worth investing in or steering clear of, basically what I done when i seen Hoss on the Stalkbook Marketplace.

Just because some YouTuber called our cars "boring" doesn't really bother me, I know what I got and I like it, and that is all that matters to me.

Quick side note: "TFL Classics" on YouTube have been showing the Pathfinders some love (albeit a WD21) on their channel, and hopefully we could see them move into a R50 if they keep following their current trend of loving the Nissan branded gear at the moment ?

Thanks for listening to my TED talk ? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/19/2021 at 6:10 PM, EricCR said:

Getting upset at RCR for their "reviews" is like watching Top Gear expecting serious automotive journalism. It's a comedy YouTube channel. Whether it's funny or interesting to some of us and not others, well, that's a matter of having different tastes. He gives abstract reviews and deals more with the surreal aspect of driving a car. There are plenty of other YT channels and established car shows that talk about hp, 0-60 and off road capabilities.

This is kinda the crux of it. It's his shtick. I used to watch them back in the day, but for me it got a little tiring and watching the latest R50 video reminded me of that. Tyler did a little rebuttal video that addresses some of the RCR points, I found it entertaining and good. I like that it exists just as a counter for anyone who runs across the RCR video and has differing opinions.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, zakzackzachary said:

This is kinda the crux of it. It's his shtick. I used to watch them back in the day, but for me it got a little tiring and watching the latest R50 video reminded me of that. Tyler did a little rebuttal video that addresses some of the RCR points, I found it entertaining and good. I like that it exists just as a counter for anyone who runs across the RCR video and has differing opinions.

Awesome video, glad he made it. I hope RCR sees it and possibly reviews the 3rd gen 4runner soon. I guarantee he’ll be mentioning the pathfinder favorably when he feels how badly those things ride on the road, and how under powered they are in comparison. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, PathyGig12 said:

Awesome video, glad he made it. I hope RCR sees it and possibly reviews the 3rd gen 4runner soon. I guarantee he’ll be mentioning the pathfinder favorably when he feels how badly those things ride on the road, and how under powered they are in comparison. 

I test drove a 2000 4Runner when I was looking for my Pathy and that was my exact impression. Slow, harsh ride, not as well optioned, worse interior plastics.

37 minutes ago, EricCR said:

I test drove a 2000 4Runner when I was looking for my Pathy and that was my exact impression. Slow, harsh ride, not as well optioned, worse interior plastics.

Yeah it’s kinda funny how they managed to make it the suspension simultaneously so squishy and yet also harsh. My girlfriend has a 99 limited and the rear always sags under any decent weight, but at the same time it’s not comfortable on bumps either. For people who think unibody trucks are crap off-road, they need to take a look at XJs. I do wish the pathfinder came stock with longer travel IFS, but I don’t mind the unibody 

• Like 1

100% I test drove 2002 Pathfinders & 4Runners back to back in 2002 when I bought mine. The 4Runner was a disappointment in every way to me at the time. On the other hand, I thought the Pathfinder looked blasé but it’s engine, handling, AWD system & MUCH nicer interior & creature comforts sold it to me. As a consequence, I’ve never thought much of 3rd Gen 4Runners & have never regretted it. Had the 4th Gen 4Runner been out yet, I probably would have bought it. And I’m definitely not anti-Toyota, I have a 5th Gen 4Runner & LOVE the GXs.
  • Like 1