Water pump/timing chain lifespan

Dbot

2002 Pathfinder 

235,xxx miles (acquired by me at 206,xxx)

Main maintenance items:

Replace leaky valve covers

replace alternator

Secondary maintenance items:

Spark plugs

Pcv valve

intake gaskets

pcv hose

Valve cover breather hose

serpentine belts

I’ll be doing those items within a few weeks

The two items I’m wondering are:

Should I take this opportunity to replace the timing chains, and tensioners? I can’t find anything that specifies a mileage to replace that. Some say those last forever but the severed timing chain on my 2001 r50 says otherwise. if there’s an interval that I’m missing somewhere that says 100/200/250k miles, I think I should do it now while valve covers are off.

the second question is how long does the water pump last? I can replace it with the timing chain cover on or off. Anyone know an interval for water pumps? 

I'm pretty sure worn tensioners killed my engine at 265k. So just depends on how long you want to run it, and how much money or time you want to spend.

All the research I've done is its a much bigger job to do chain and tensioners than anything else on your list.

And if I elected to do it, there is no way I wouldn't do the water pump. Most cars with 100k timing belts have the pump as a scheduled service item at the same time.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

From what I’ve heard, you only need to change the chain if it’s getting loose and making noise. There’s no recommended interval but they do eventually wear out so it just depends on when your particular chain decides to start going out

Personally Im going to do mine sometime in the next couple years before it hits 350K and the water pump at the same time. Possible the oil pump as well

What does the noise sound like?

I've got a noise that's progressively getting worse, sounds like something rattling inside the engine compartment, only at a certain RPM(s) but RPM range when I hear it is growing. My guess is it is timing chain.

3 hours ago, gloer said:

What does the noise sound like?

I've got a noise that's progressively getting worse, sounds like something rattling inside the engine compartment, only at a certain RPM(s) but RPM range when I hear it is growing. My guess is it is timing chain.

Im honestly not sure, your best bet is probably to look up some YouTube examples and compare

• Like 1

Also, it is a timing belt not a timing chain right?

You have a timing belt. The 3.5 has a chain. There would be no noise prior to it exploding if that’s a concern for you.

Sent from my Pathfinder

Just now, R50JR said:

You have a timing belt. The 3.5 has a chain. There would be no noise prior to it exploding if that’s a concern for you.

Thanks, nice to know there is no noise as a precursor to death. I've got a weird rattling noise and was thinking it might be timing belt related, guess I can rule that out. I'm still going to get the belts replaced as a proactive step. Going to get a shop to do that, unfortunately I don't have the spare time time to do it myself.

Someone should create a website where one can upload recordings of a noise and provide conditions when it occurs, then have it compare against other recordings and give suggestions. Match.com for weird auto noises. 

6 hours ago, gloer said:

Thanks, nice to know there is no noise as a precursor to death. I've got a weird rattling noise and was thinking it might be timing belt related, guess I can rule that out. I'm still going to get the belts replaced as a proactive step. Going to get a shop to do that, unfortunately I don't have the spare time time to do it myself.

Someone should create a website where one can upload recordings of a noise and provide conditions when it occurs, then have it compare against other recordings and give suggestions. Match.com for weird auto noises. 

I would look around for the various small support brackets in your engine bay to see if they are loose, could be the cause of the noise

• Like 1

21 hours ago, colinnwn said:

I'm pretty sure worn tensioners killed my engine at 265k. So just depends on how long you want to run it, and how much money or time you want to spend.

All the research I've done is its a much bigger job to do chain and tensioners than anything else on your list.

And if I elected to do it, there is no way I wouldn't do the water pump. Most cars with 100k timing belts have the pump as a scheduled service item at the same time.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

It’s not making any noise that I’m aware of.  As far as how long I want it to last? Beyond 300k. It’s more a pride thing than a money thing with this one. Lots of sweat and blood in the rig. If we all go by noise instead of mileage, I’ll leave the chains alone. As for the water pump, I suppose I could swap that when I’m behind the radiator for the alternator since you don’t actually have to remove the timing cover to access the pump.