Wheels

I'm on the last step for this whole lift process. I have bought everything except for tires and wheels. I could not be more excited to get this whole project started. Also wanted to thank all of you for all the help you've provided me with.

I'm doing a 2 inch AC lift and am hoping to fit 32's. I believe this will probably require some trimming but thats fine. (Probably BFG A/T at 32 x 11.5)

I'm looking to get some black steel wheels with 3.75 backspacing. From what I've seen on forum a lot of people get some variation of pro comp wheels, or cragars I believe. The 98 pathfinder has a 6 on 5.5 bolt pattern. I read about some difficulties with 15 inch fitment conflicting with the brakes, but to my understanding since I have 15 inch wheels stock there should be any issues. Regardless, I am not opposed to throwing 16 in rims onto my build as I think that may look cool. But, I am having trouble finding 16x8 with -19 offset and 3.75 backspacing with the bolt pattern that I need. I'd love to hear some options regarding 15 or 16's and what would be the best for a casual off-roading daily driver. I also purchased some Warn hubs but I don't think that they'll have any issues fitting on aftermarket rims.

So just any 15/16  x 8 inch rims with 6 x 5.5 inch bolt pattern and 3.75 backspacing.

Mine (96 SE) has  32115015C BFG AT TA KO2 and PXA7069-5883 ProComp 15x8 with ACs up front, and just put on Warn hubs. A little trimming needed up front, not too much and none in the rear.

7Ryf0Y8.jpg 

Looks great! Did  u have any problems  with the 15s fitting?

I've seen a lot of Pro Comps that would work, but  the pictures on the website are incorrect (showing only 5 lugs when the specifications say that its 6x5.5)

Looks great! Did  u have any problems  with the 15s fitting?

No problems at all with the 15s, I had OEM 15s originally. Minor trimming, including inside the wheel well. Can take a picture of the wheel well handy work tomorrow if you like.

Here are a couple of pics showing the only trimming I've done to date, both show the same trim location just different viewpoint. I still get rubbing when reversing at full turn, but rarely run into that so motivation factor not yet high enough.
s43woqM.jpg

cyn97lp.jpg

How can a wheel have 3.75 inch backspacing and not have a -19 mm offset. I've been looking at the same wheel on different sites, and they are all 15x8 with 3.75 backspacing but all have different offsets how can this be possible?

I just talked to a local 4 wheel parts store that I was going to get my tires and wheels from, and he said that the -19 offset would push the wheels out too far and wouldn't work. I was surprised that he said that, because I thought that the go to offset was -19 in order to clear the strut. Has anybody had any problems with -19 offset and 3.75 backspacing? Looking to buy these PXA7069-5883 ProComp 15x8.

sfSzvJb.jpg

I’ve had 15x8 -19mm 3.75 backspace wheels for over 2 years. No problems. In fact, without that extreme of a backspacing, my wheels would rub the calipers, as later model year R50’s have bigger front brakes. 

Also, you need to do some research on backspacing math- offset and backspacing are different measurements, and their relationship varies with wheel width.

Any number of YouTube videos can explain how to calculate it. 

also, tiresize.com has a backspacing calculator, which is handy for checking math. Use the “offset converter” in this link: https://tiresize.com/wheel-offset-calculator/

There’s a short math explanation here along with how it applies to R50’s  : 

Edited by PathyDude17

50 minutes ago, Leo_Allesch said:

I just talked to a local 4 wheel parts store that I was going to get my tires and wheels from, and he said that the -19 offset would push the wheels out too far and wouldn't work. I was surprised that he said that, because I thought that the go to offset was -19 in order to clear the strut. Has anybody had any problems with -19 offset and 3.75 backspacing? Looking to buy these PXA7069-5883 ProComp 15x8.

I have the PXA7069-5883 Procomp 15x8 on my 96 SE. No problems.

9 minutes ago, Leo_Allesch said:

@PathyDude17 I did watch your video so that’s why I was surprised when to store told me that, so do you think I should just ignore what they said?

Yes. They have no idea what they’re talking about. Most 4x4 shops just do Jeep and Toyota stuff, and will be clueless on what works with R50’s.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, PathyDude17 said:

Yes. They have no idea what they’re talking about. Most 4x4 shops just do Jeep and Toyota stuff, and will be clueless on what works with R50’s.

Alright thanks alot. I just purchased my wheels and tires!! I've bought everything for my lift at this point, and will be doing my lift in a week or so during spring break. Will make a post documenting that process, as long as some before and after pictures. This has been a ton of research and reading but I think I'm gonna have a great lift here. Thanks to everyone who's helped out along the way.

If you have rubbing, instead of cutting the fender liner out (which will fill with mud & debris) consider deforming the plastic with a heat gun. Another alternative is to make 2 little holes & use a zip tie behind the fender to pull the liner farther away or adjust where the liner connects below, again pulling the liner away. These are all common fixes used in T4Rs & should work here as well.

• Like 2

If you have rubbing, instead of cutting the fender liner out (which will fill with mud & debris), consider deforming the plastic with a heat gun. Another alternative is to make 2 little holes & use a zip tie behind the fender to pull the liner farther away. Also, see if you can adjust where the liner connects below, again pulling the liner away. These are all common fixes used in T4Rs & should work here as well.

If you have rubbing, instead of cutting the fender liner out (which will fill with mud & debris) consider deforming the plastic with a heat gun.

If you have a shop put the tires and wheels on for you, explicitly tell them the advice from @RainGoat before they mount. Otherwise, when you pick up your vehicle you may find they took the easy path, cutting the fender liner. That's how I ended up with holes.

• Like 1

I just purchased a 98 pathfinder myself and are very interested in how you make out, I have been doing a lot of read and you get so many conflicting information. Right now I have the stock 15's with 31 BF's with two inch space lift which I want to get rid of and go with the AC coil or stiffer springs on the front and then the Land rover on the back, I also want to look at some offset wheels as the stock just do not look right and was thinking of spacers (hubcentric) but would just rather find some offset rims, but totally confused as to where to find and what to even look for with regards to backspacing and offset, seem like Leo_Allesch you are doing exactly where I want to get too. So really looking forward to how you make out. Is it possible to get any link or descriptions on what  your putting on such as AC coils and struts you use also back spring and Shocks? And if you have any links for them or to the wheels and tires your putting on would really help as well. Thanks Everyone new to NPORA and loving it.