Rear bumper cover?

MTGunner

Need to replace my rear bumper cover on my 2000 Pathfinder SE with spare tire under vehicle. Have been looking at various parts house that offer these covers. Shows both with and without cutouts for rod to drop spare tire. Both look the same other than the cut out holes. Has anyone purchased the cover without the holes and merely modified it for the rod access? Are there any other real differences in these two beyond the cut out holes? Thanks for the input. MTG

Got any examples/links?  I'd be surprised if any lacked a cutout for the rod, and scanning ebay and RockAuto, I'm not seeing any that do.  They come with and without holes for the rear-mounted tire carrier, though.

• Like 1

Rockauto and Partsgeek had both listed. The cover with the cutouts are out of stock and only the cover w/o the cutouts are available and somewhat cheaper. Hence my question whether someone has modified the cover without the cutouts. Had not looked at fleabay. MTG

Edited by MTGunner

Just looked at fleabay. Much more expensive than Rockauto or Partsgeek. Besides, have no PayPal account and have done no business on fleabay due to prices in the past. MTG

Still not seeing what you’re talking about. All the bumper covers have notches for the tire hoist rod...the undermount spare tire carrier.  The cut outs you’re talking about are for trucks that had the rear spare tire carrier.  You don’t need the cover with the cutouts. 

• Like 1

On 3/28/2021 at 4:59 AM, MTGunner said:

Need to replace my rear bumper cover on my 2000 Pathfinder SE with spare tire under vehicle. Have been looking at various parts house that offer these covers. Shows both with and without cutouts for rod to drop spare tire. Both look the same other than the cut out holes. Has anyone purchased the cover without the holes and merely modified it for the rod access? Are there any other real differences in these two beyond the cut out holes? Thanks for the input. MTG

I think you will find all bumper covers come complete without the cut outs, then on the inside there will be cast in the plastic marked out cutting guides to follow for various accessories like tow bar, rear tyre carrier, rear fog light etc...

Well that was how it was when I was in the body works game some 20 years back, the plastic bumpers from all the big Jap companies shipped their bumpers like that and the body shop modified them to suit the vehicle and it's options in shop. A drill and a sharp Stanley knife or jigsaw will have you done no issues at all. If you purchase pre painted one a bit more care will be required with the cutting.

Hope this makes sense and helps.

3 hours ago, Fr8Train said:

I think you will find all bumper covers come complete without the cut outs, then on the inside there will be cast in the plastic marked out cutting guides to follow for various accessories like tow bar, rear tyre carrier, rear fog light etc...

Well that was how it was when I was in the body works game some 20 years back, the plastic bumpers from all the big Jap companies shipped their bumpers like that and the body shop modified them to suit the vehicle and it's options in shop. A drill and a sharp Stanley knife or jigsaw will have you done no issues at all. If you purchase pre painted one a bit more care will be required with the cutting.

Hope this makes sense and helps.

You guys are killing me. 

FF3399-D5-D4-F8-4-C65-A901-187-FC3-F1-DD

The notch for the prop rod is on the top edge, about 40% over from the left. It’s present on EVERY cover. The cutouts are for the other tire carrier.  If you don’t have the rear mounted tire carrier, don’t buy this cover with cutouts.  Buy the one without cutouts. 

• Like 1

OK, have gleaned what has been offered. Thank you all.

At this point I will look for a reasonably priced rear bumper cover with or without all cutouts. Can do myself. MTG

4 hours ago, MTGunner said:

OK, have gleaned what has been offered. Thank you all.

At this point I will look for a reasonably priced rear bumper cover with or without all cutouts. Can do myself. MTG

I don't get this conversation at all.

There's nothing to do if you just buy the cover without cutouts. 

Looking for a cv boot for my rear axle.. Thanks

Sent from my Pathfinder

Oh boy! Talk about misinformation.... even after reading your posts for years, I sometimes find it hard to distinguish the genuine from the ironic or whatever this is......we might need to have a warning label for you (all meant in good fun of course)