Fuel Pump Replacement Suggestions?

dmvhornback

Last night my pathy's engine suddenly went silent and slowed down to stop while driving down the street, still cranking but not starting up. After getting it towed home I've learned my fuel pump is what went bad and ill need a new one. That being said, I was looking for any suggestions as to a good replacement part because the one installed is a warranty part that is two months old and the brand is apparently a piece of sh*t. I was also wondering about this being a good starting job for me to learn how to wrench on it a little bit and since i know that pathy's have panels allowing easy work on the fuel pump if i'm not mistaken. 

My original fuel pump lasted over 25 years and 400,000 miles... So, you know what, I went back with another brand new in the box factory part. 

I bought mine from Nissan Parts Deal  
https://www.nissanpartsdeal.com

Nissan Part No.:17042-41G03
PUMP ASSY FUEL

Edited by AaronHorrocks
  • Like 3

37 minutes ago, AaronHorrocks said:

My original fuel pump lasted over 25 years and 400,000 miles... So, you know what, I went back with another brand new in the box factory part. 

PUMP ASSY FUEL

Alright thanks i appreciate it, i was also looking at this "premium part" from rock auto (a delphi part) for 100$ less. Heard anything about these? Im a college student so cash is very tight.

Personally I would suggest a definitive diagnostic and confirmation that it IS the fuel pump and not a bad wire in the loom that snakes around next to he exhaust / bash guard for the tank / tank mounting bolt hangers. You may want to get yourself a $7 test light from the auto parts store before you drop $$$ on a part you don't actually need. The test light is a very handy tool if you can figure out a wiring diagram power / control and ground. You can figure out _where_ the problem is instead of firing the "new parts cannon" at the vehicle. My test light _would have_ saved me from replacing the battery, the starter and alternator and getting a tow.... but I trusted a digital voltmeter instead. My mistake. 

In short.... it _might_ be the pump. But you should _know_ that it IS the pump before you open that can of worms on an old truck like ours.

• Like 1

If money is an issue, I would try to pull a fuel pump from another Pathfinder in a scrap yard. Of course, they're hard to come by in a Pick-n-Pull or whatever. 
I drove to like 6 in my state one day, and only found a handful of parts that I needed.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

You sure that pump is bad? How do you know your pump is bad? Did you test it to see if the pump is actually getting power ans actually pumping out fuel? Yoi can disconnect the fuel line feeding to the fuel rail to make sure it's pumping.. the pump should prime for a few seconds when you turn your ignition on ans you should hear your pump click on.

I'm using a cheap pump off Ebay for 60 dollars. So far so good.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/23/2021 at 8:07 AM, SpecialWarr said:

Personally I would suggest a definitive diagnostic and confirmation that it IS the fuel pump and not a bad wire in the loom that snakes around next to he exhaust / bash guard for the tank / tank mounting bolt hangers. You may want to get yourself a $7 test light from the auto parts store before you drop $$$ on a part you don't actually need. The test light is a very handy tool if you can figure out a wiring diagram power / control and ground. You can figure out _where_ the problem is instead of firing the "new parts cannon" at the vehicle. My test light _would have_ saved me from replacing the battery, the starter and alternator and getting a tow.... but I trusted a digital voltmeter instead. My mistake. 

In short.... it _might_ be the pump. But you should _know_ that it IS the pump before you open that can of worms on an old truck like ours.

It ended up being the fuel pump as i suspected. I installed an OEM pump onto the same "harness/attachment" for the pump which i didn't know you had to order separately but works well and the pathy is loving it.

Edited by dmvhornback

On 4/2/2021 at 6:29 PM, adamzan said:

If the pump truly is bad, I would only replace it with an OE pump. Aftermarket ones are hot trash these days.

Exactly what i thought. I did just that, and shes good as new. minus the stupid exhaust leak lol

On 3/22/2021 at 7:03 PM, AaronHorrocks said:

PUMP ASSY FUEL

That ended up being my website of choice for the fuel pump i installed the new unit and couldn't figure out what was wrong with the old one. anyways i alos didnt know that you had to buy an additional harness or holder (whatever the fuel pump is suspended by for the tank. i ended up using the original piece to hold it up with a new o-ring ofc. Am i going to regret using the original harness? It looked fine. but then again idk?

In addition to the Sending Unit, I "bought a whole bunch of stuff", meaning any gaskets, seals, and screws, and plastic bits in the diagram next to the Sending Unit, just incase anything else was bad, broken, etc. To minimize potential down time. it's easy to spend an extra $10 to $20 up front in case anything goes wrong, to prevent several more days of my vehicle being in the shop waiting on parts.