I WANT TO PUT A XTERRA TRANS IN MY 95 PATHFINDER

Rhinno95

please help, I want

to go faster,  better than 55mph at 3000 rpm. I have heard you can swap an xterra trans, but I need more info. Anybody out there that has done this ?

The Xterra trans is normally used because they're stronger, not for a gearing change. From what I've read, it bolts right up, but may need the wiring extended. If the donor was supercharged you'll need the flexplate and torque converter to go with it.

If you're cruising 55 at 3000, something's not right. Sounds like it's not going into overdrive. Check whether the overdrive switch on the shifter is turned off. You may need to lift off the gas for a moment to make it grab fourth, especially if it's in power mode. The trans looks at pedal position and vehicle speed to decide when to shift, so if you're having to give 'er to maintain 55, it's not going to upshift, because there's no point (if it's working that hard in third, it won't keep up in fourth). The service manual says at half throttle it won't grab overdrive until between 64 and 74 mph (varies by final drive gearing).

These aren't rocket ships, and, again, higher gearing doesn't make it faster if you don't have the grunt to push the taller gears. I turn my overdrive off entirely when hills are involved because it's got bugger-all power in fourth. It'll cruise in fourth no problem if the road is reasonably flat, but on anything with grades, third works much better. Better engine braking for descents, too. I haven't noticed any difference in fuel economy lugging it in fourth vs revving it in third, and I don't get passed by motor homes in third.

You might be able to swap enough bits around to make a 2WD trans work, not sure on that. I'd hold out for a 4WD trans unless you're looking for a science project.