Gassy oil?

98dreamer

The usual test for the injectors themselves is to rig up a fuel pressure tester, pressurize the system (cycle the key to run the pump), then turn it back off and see how long it holds pressure. If an injector is leaking, it should drop pretty quick. I don't know if the R50 has the shrader valve on the fuel rail so you can easily hook up a pressure tester. If not  you'll have to unhook the fuel line somewhere and tee in the tester.

I would also pull the vac line off the fuel pressure regulator, cycle the key, and make sure fuel doesn't come pissing out. If it was I think you'd have noticed symptoms other than the smell, though.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Is there a way to tell which one is leaking, or at least a way to keep from buying a whole set new? 

On 2/6/2021 at 8:35 PM, Slartibartfast said:

The usual test for the injectors themselves is to rig up a fuel pressure tester, pressurize the system (cycle the key to run the pump), then turn it back off and see how long it holds pressure. If an injector is leaking, it should drop pretty quick. I don't know if the R50 has the shrader valve on the fuel rail so you can easily hook up a pressure tester. If not  you'll have to unhook the fuel line somewhere and tee in the tester.

I would also pull the vac line off the fuel pressure regulator, cycle the key, and make sure fuel doesn't come pissing out. If it was I think you'd have noticed symptoms other than the smell, though.

You could pull the spark plugs and see if one looks richer than the rest (darker soot deposits or, in an extreme case, wet gas), but if it was leaking that much I think you'd be chasing symptoms other than a fuel smell in the oil. IIRC the injector rail and injectors come out together (been a while since I had my intake off); if this is the case, you could run the fuel pump with the injectors where you can see them and look for which one is dribbling (or just pull the upper intake, run the pump, and see if you smell fuel from one of the runners). You might get away with just cleaning the injectors. I haven't had to try that myself but it sounds like there's not much to it. If you do have to replace one or more, check the color of dot on the injectors (under where the electrical plug goes IIRC). Should be black or blue, and ideally you want the same dot color on your replacement(s). That said, my '93 has five of one and one of the other (was like that when I got it) and it doesn't seem to mind.

Again, though, do the fuel pressure test first to be sure you're not chasing ghosts.

Also, are you sniffing the leak or the dipstick? If the dipstick smells like oil, there's gas in your oil--if it smells like gas underneath, but not on the dipstick, something else is leaking.

• Thanks 1

Having just purchased this truck, I've founde the #6 boot isn't snapped on to the plug and my big pawed butt, can't get my hand back there to do it either. So my thought is the fuel in the dead cylinder is leaking past the rings. My plan, because I've liked to take things apart since I was 4, is to take the upper intake off and make sure it's all put together, proper like. My concern is the EGR nut and those vacuum lines.