Excited New r50 owner

import_wheelin

Hi R50 Forum,

(2002 Infiniti Qx4 4x4) I was in the market for a older low cost wheeler. The current project was put on hold while an ex thought she would use my vehicle as leverage in our divorce. While the Toyota progress was stymied and on hold, I needed to find an affordable daily driver. I was looking for 4 wheel just in case she snaked the Toyota.

Wheelin and daily driving this qx4 has been very satisfying and enjoyable. It's built tough and super capable. My interest in Nissan off roaders admittedly started with the Nissan xterra, although I've never owned one.

My journey to find a lowish costing 4 wheeler produced this qx4 that's got me excited and also joining this forum.

Ill be the one doing majority of the work on it. I’m not a mechanic but have done many vehicle installs and repairs. I'm working with a limited income so add ons start with functionality first and appearance last. 

I plan to focus on either a winch or locker next step.

Done by me

-Trim front bumper, remove air difuser, relocate air temp. Sensor, remove wiper fluid tank.

-Installed CB radio, antenna and p.a. speaker

-Removed front and rear sway bar

Previous owner

-lift

-tires

Your community seems to be welcoming and it’s appreciated. Thank you r50 guys for all the research and info you’ve compiled here! 

Chris 

Photos added 2/1/21

bf1edf86cac84c8cc1fdca405b89f8e6.jpg

5e931b2d0d6c43a443b3cc6f7deacbcb.jpg

5d25a1dac19c3b22d3bfb1ead889d347.jpg

Edited by import_wheelin
trouble viewing post
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, RainGoat said:

FYI, For some reason this loads on TapaTalk like it’s behind a deeply tinted window - VERY hard to read. I’m in dark mode on an iPhone but that doesn’t effect other postings.

I appreciate the heads up. Im going to take a look and see if I see the same thing. Probably just repost this just in case. 

Thank you Raingoat!

• Like 1

Welcome - curious as to why you relocated the air temp sensor & where you put it. Also, not sure what the air diffuser is that you mention. Do you mean the spoiler above the rear hatch glass?

You might be surprised how well it does with sway bars intact & it can get dangerously squirrelly without them. While it’s kind of a knee-jerk reaction to pull them, there are alot of us old timers who run with them. Some who’ve even removed & then reinstalled them.

You’ll find the ATX14A transmission extremely handy but it may effect your decisions regarding lockers.

Welcome! We like pics here too!!

Sent from my Mobile Communications Device

Thank you! I’m working on the photo app next. I don’t think I want to pay for photo bucket to allow me to copy the link and cloud the pix. Should have some pix up in a day or two. Unless you have advice on a better option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, RainGoat said:

Welcome - curious as to why you relocated the air temp sensor & where you put it. Also, not sure what the air diffuser is that you mention. Do you mean the spoiler above the rear hatch glass?

You might be surprised how well it does with sway bars intact & it can get dangerously squirrelly without them. While it’s kind of a knee-jerk reaction to pull them, there are alot of us old timers who run with them. Some who’ve even removed & then reinstalled them.

You’ll find the ATX14A transmission extremely handy but it may effect your decisions regarding lockers.

So what I did was to gain clearance in the front end as a (no budget currently) starting point. I trimmed the front bumper in this case for function and to get it towards the look i'm going for. I appreciate the styling of the pathfinder of the same year but the front bumper on the qx4 hung super low and wasn't attractive to me. I also want a winch and a simple bumper that I might build or have built. I don't have experience building bumpers, just some schooling welding, a welder and some ideas. 

Driver behind the bumper is where the air temp sensor is plugged into the air diffuser (I believe that's what nissan called it). Once the front bumper is trimmed, it is obvious. I removed it, relocated that sensor onto the air box in the hood driver side. Easy peazy. Closer to the look i want in the front. Also, can climb some things without touching my bumper or fogs/blinkers. 

For now, the Q stretches her legs further without the sways. I did some research and appreciate you addressing it. It is for sure a safety issue to someone who isn't aware they are missing. For me, I tried the same obstacle where one wheel was in the air and without sway, tire doesn't come off the ground. With how basic my rig is right now, it makes a difference crawling. 

I also enjoy the way it drives a little more believe it or not, lol. 

What is available right now is the front lokka locker and so I would get that with wheel hub locks. If you can elaborate or direct me to the feed on the trans/locker issue, i would appreciate it. 

I mean I could get by with out one and I have but this thing feels like it would be a crawler tank with lockers on front and back. If it's just wheel chirp that I would have to deal with if I do Lincoln, it doesn't bother me. 

Someone had mentioned lokka might be working on a rear one, which is exciting. 

If the text comes out weird again, please let me know and Ill try red again. 

Chris

Edited by import_wheelin
Spell check lmao
  • Like 1

Thank you! I’m working on the photo app next. I don’t think I want to pay for photo bucket to allow me to copy the link and cloud the pix. Should have some pix up in a day or two. Unless you have advice on a better option.

If you download the Tapatalk app it makes uploading pics really easy. It took me years to get on board with doing it that way (because I'm stubborn and old-school), but I should've done it long ago!

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, 01Pathmaker said:

If you download the Tapatalk app it makes uploading pics really easy. It took me years to get on board with doing it that way (because I'm stubborn and old-school), but I should've done it long ago!

Sweet, Ill try that! Thanks  :)

• Like 1

Ah yes, QX4!

Definitely read the threads on Lokka. In the part-time transmissions it’s an easy decision- alot tougher if you have the ATX14A. I bought my Pathy 18 years ago, primarily based on the engine & handling, so those things ate still paramount to me. Also, I live in the PNW, so I use the AWD most of the time. I also prefer it for the vast majority of offroad driving as it eliminates the understeer of a locked center & I find I rarely really need 4Hi or 4Lo as most offroad is really just dirt track. I didn’t care for the Lokka on road but it sounds like yours will be more a crawler than an overlander.

The Lokka works fantastically though - offroad, I don’t know of anyone who isn’t happy with it. It actually works great with a good rear LSD. Unfortunately, ‘03 & ‘04 have pretty light breakaway points so you may want to read the thread on repacking them.

• Like 1

Hi R50 Forum,
(2002 Infiniti Qx4 4x4) I was in the market for a older low cost wheeler. The current project was put on hold while an ex thought she would use my vehicle as leverage in our divorce. While the Toyota progress was stymied and on hold, I needed to find an affordable daily driver. I was looking for 4 wheel just in case she snaked the Toyota.
Wheelin and daily driving this qx4 has been very satisfying and enjoyable. It's built tough and super capable. My interest in Nissan off roaders admittedly started with the Nissan xterra, although I've never owned one.
My journey to find a lowish costing 4 wheeler produced this qx4 that's got me excited and also joining this forum.
Ill be the one doing majority of the work on it. I’m not a mechanic but have done many vehicle installs and repairs. I'm working with a limited income so add ons start with functionality first and appearance last. 
I plan to focus on either a winch or locker next step.
Done by me
-Trim front bumper, remove air difuser, relocate air temp. Sensor, remove wiper fluid tank.
-Installed CB radio, antenna and p.a. speaker
-Removed front and rear sway bar

Previous owner
-lift
-tires
Your community seems to be welcoming and it’s appreciated. Thank you r50 guys for all the research and info you’ve compiled here! 

Chris 
Photos added 2/1/21
bf1edf86cac84c8cc1fdca405b89f8e6.jpg
5e931b2d0d6c43a443b3cc6f7deacbcb.jpg
5d25a1dac19c3b22d3bfb1ead889d347.jpg

I appreciate you! I added a couple photo to the original post. Have a good day!

• Like 1

:welcome:

Welcome to NPORA, good looking wheelin rig! Hope ya don't lose your Yota, but if so I'm sure you'll be very happy in a Nissan. I had a '02 QX4 myself, so I'm pretty partial to your rig haha.

Thank you! I appreciate it. Looking forward to doing more wheelin in the qx4. Nissan 4x4 been holding it down in the Japanese import market in North America for a long time. I see so many of these on the road now still. Also all the hard body 4x4s too.
I’m looking forward to working on it, doing trails and meeting Nissan people who already knew what was up.
Have a good one!