Key Fob issues

taberwit

So the key fobs for my 1999.5 have started working very intermittently (more often not). I thought it was a battery issue, so swapped it out, but no dice. So I pulled out the spare and... same result! Even with fresh batteries. I bought TWO different sets of replacements on Amazon, but neither will program in. Ironically, when programming, the originals work every single time. I’m wondering if there’s a fuse or a relay I should be checking. Ideas?

I don't know think there is a fuse, but if it were a fuse it would not work at all.  BTW, programming new ones is a pain, even if you follow the instructions perfectly.  Last time it took at least 4 tries before I got it going.

• Thanks 1

• 2 years later...

I'm having the same issue with my 2001. My fob asks for a 2035 battery so that's what I kept using and it would work intermittently but well enough for a week tops. Last month I accidentally shoved a 2032 battery in it because that's what my other vehicles fob takes. Now its been working way better for over a month! The lock button works great, the unlock works only after I hit lock once and then unlock. It's a massive improvement with the higher capacity and slightly thicker battery. Worth a shot! 

Also, does anyone know where the antenna is for the keyless? I want to manually inspect it but can't find it's location in my Haynes manual or by googling.