Carrot

Carrot

Hi all newby here I have a  Nissan terrano 2.7 R20 and I need some help I got the car with the engine on the floor and engine has been rebuilt and a manual pump fitted 

Okmy fist question is can the pump be 360 degrees out.

And my other question is

When changing the pump to a manual pump is the timing cog the same on the electric pump as the cog on the manual pump.?

I don't know the TD27 but the manual shows marks on the gear teeth for lining up the pump, so I'd expect 360° out to be exactly the same as what you started with unless there's a gear reduction inside the pump. No idea about the gear compatibility, sorry.

Thanks for this but what I mean is the pump turns twice for one Revolution of the engine so 360 degrees on the pump would be 180 degrees on engine  so can you time the pump 360 out 

I think I see what you mean. I assume that if there's a way to get it wrong, the service manual's procedure for setting it up would tell you how to avoid it (or at least give you a procedure to follow). Do you have the service manual?

You've got the same info I do, then.

I'm confused that the pump would turn at double crank speed. I'd expect it to go half crank speed, in sync with the camshaft, like the distributor on a gas engine. If this is the case, it could well be possible to set it up backwards (with the crank 360° out, at top dead exhaust instead of top dead compression). I would roll the engine over until #1 is on its compression stroke, then see if you've got marks on the idler gear to match to the gear on the pump.

• 1 year later...

Pump and cam turn half crank speed, they are both driven by a center idler gear shown in the video below.(not mine) 720 degrees by the crank gear = 360 degrees of the other gears because they have twice as many teeth and travel half the speed. Unless your other gears are off, ZZ should mesh with Z as your rotate past TDC compression. Are you experiencing a specific problem or just trying to be cautious?

To check the other gears you need the whole timing cover off, engine TDC compression (both #1 valves shut) you should be looking for the matchmarks.
"ZZ" to "Z" for the pump and ".." to "."  for the others. There is only one way the pump gear can go on so the pump shaft will be correct once you do this.
Video below makes it pain as day.

Once the matchmarks are verified you need the timing cover on, crank pulley on and a depth gage for the back of the pump to measure the pump's cam plate lift at TDC. You rotate the pump body itself (not the gears) to adjust this to spec... 

Are you experiencing a specific problem or just trying to be cautious?