Timing Chain conversion kit??

whoizitcc69

Hey everybody.. I have a 1991 pathfinder with the VG30 engine. I've been searching for this, but I am not getting any answers.. Probably for two reasons, one I'm searching wrong, or it does not exist. So the short question is Do they make a timing chain conversion kit for these engines, to change out the timing belt and gears and tensioners??  Meaning, Yes I am aware its is a timing belt. But wondering if they make a kit to change it over to a chain???  I do not have to explain the advantages to this.. I'm getting ready to tear down mine and change the gear seals, timing belt, water pump, the whole works. I figured while I had it down I would switch it over if they made one.. for the moment, I did purchase the new blue Gates racing belt, which apparently they are 300% stronger than the factory belt..

Thanks Gamellott..  This is what I had figured,  I just remember I had a 300 with the same engine block but it was timing chain, but it also was dual over head cam if I remember correctly, I just thought someone may have figured out how to do it by now.. But I am super happy I did find the new Blue racing Gates belts.. I don't plan on doing anything crazy, its my daily driver during bad weather to keep my other new vehicle off the roads.. I have to go to work no matter what, being I'm a fire fighter.. But I am also a ex mechanic and seen how much new stuff has come out for these old rides, so it never hurts to ask.. Thanks again!

If you're going to do the timing belt, it's frequently recommended that you replace the water pump. If you don't know the age of the pump, it would be a good idea and an ideal time to swap it out. I've done the timing belt twice on my rig and it's a long time consuming job. Also, if this is your daily driver, and have no backup, take a weekend to do it. Parts are not as readily available to do this as they may have been 10 years ago. Also, a good opportunity to replace that crank seal that is possibly leaking ?

Yeah, do everything you can while you're in there. Cam and crank seals, water pump, thermostat, bypass hose, belt, and tensioner, and have a good look at your rad hoses. The timing belts last long enough that the chain conversion would be more trouble than it's worth. If you want a longer-lived belt, get a set of sprockets off a later (mid-'93+) VG to run the round-tooth belt. Square-tooth is good for 60k miles, round is good for 100k IIRC.

• Like 1

I had suggested years ago that it is possible for me to do this on the pathy, but between the cost of materials,  my CAD/ CAM time and the need for at least 10 people to sign on and put money down it never got off of the ground floor. Sorry about that.