Possible Rear Lokka Development

PathyDude17

Hey guys, just thought I’d post this for those interested in keeping tabs on this situation. 

I was perusing Lokka’s website and noticed that they now list a rear Lokka for the R50 generation, see the screen grab below or check it out for yourself at lokka.com

TugsCor.png

Notice: there’s no price listed, and if you click on “buy now” it’s a broken link. It used to be that Lokka would simply state they don’t make a rear application Lokka. This, to me, indicates a rear option is coming to market.

Additionally, the exact same is true if you look for 00-01 frontiers and 00-02 Xterra’s (the only other Nissans that direct fit our 33 spline rear end). No price listed, and the “buy now” button is a broken link. If I’m understanding the prior research of differentials as laid out by @hawairish, this means we will soon have a multitude of options for drop in direct fitment rear mechanical lockers on 33 spline axle shafts. This is entirely new, and has not existed for R50’s at any point in the past. Even if you have an LSD, you just need an open diff from one of three different Nissans. This is all subjective to any more information or fitment requirements that Lokka supplies in the future, or anything that I may have mispoke about in this post of course.  

The other great deal is price- lokka’s are generally much cheaper than any of our other rear locker options, although with some performance setbacks. But if there’s any of you who are a few beers and a Friday night away from welding your rear diff, I figured you might want to know about this :)

I suspect this is in part a response to the insane demand that we have put on lokka for their front units. By March, they had mentioned to me in an email that they had already gone through a supply that would usually last them two years. They have been behind all year and continue to have slow lead times even now (likely due to demand). Good job us!

feel free to correct this information or add to it 

• Like 4

Been contemplating welding an open diff lately, but I still daily drive it too much lol. Not sure how much better this style of auto locker would be, my front's pretty clunky and doesn't always unlock when coasting.

That being said I'm still pretty excited and will likely order one as soon as its available ?

• Like 1

TowndawgR50 showed me this last night.  I'm curious to know what it really means, since I also saw the other Nissan vehicle applications.

I'm going to remain skeptical, but optimistic, that it comes around.  Just seems way too late though, but I'd say if any company is positioned to manufacture and sell them, it'll be them.  Lokka's reputation has seemed to deteriorate over the years, though.  My last order, when I was researching the 31-spline swap, went poorly...they never shipped after a month despite being in stock, and it still took several weeks to get a refund.  At the time, they had all sorts of bullshart excuses for me, including that one of their warehouses burned down.  Their FB page, completely outdated, is still loaded with customer complaints about orders.  I'd just be cautious about the company they've seemingly become, which is surprising because of how well my first order with them a few years prior went.

If it does come out, hopefully it'll also actually be for the 33-spline diffs, unlike the others with incorrect application listings.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DesertKyle said:

Been contemplating welding an open diff lately, but I still daily drive it too much lol. Not sure how much better this style of auto locker would be, my front's pretty clunky and doesn't always unlock when coasting.

That being said I'm still pretty excited and will likely order one as soon as its available ?

Bummer on the front- I had mine out and working on snowy/slushy/wet highways and surface streets today and was fairly happy.

32 minutes ago, hawairish said:

TowndawgR50 showed me this last night.  I'm curious to know what it really means, since I also saw the other Nissan vehicle applications.

I'm going to remain skeptical, but optimistic, that it comes around.  Just seems way too late though, but I'd say if any company is positioned to manufacture and sell them, it'll be them.  Lokka's reputation has seemed to deteriorate over the years, though.  My last order, when I was researching the 31-spline swap, went poorly...they never shipped after a month despite being in stock, and it still took several weeks to get a refund.  At the time, they had all sorts of bullshart excuses for me, including that one of their warehouses burned down.  Their FB page, completely outdated, is still loaded with customer complaints about orders.  I'd just be cautious about the company they've seemingly become, which is surprising because of how well my first order with them a few years prior went.

If it does come out, hopefully it'll also actually be for the 33-spline diffs, unlike the others with incorrect application listings.

Ya, I remember discussing this with you...... wonder if that shop is still burned to the ground.

It really seems like their company structure is outdated. Replying to few to none customer enquiries (I'm one for two on getting replies) is a bad idea. Having a policy of only emailing you when your order ships (but not updating on lead times etc) is also bad. Roaming Facebook groups, there are people who go 2-3 months from order to arrival. In march, I got in on a big batch of new orders, and received mine the week I ordered it, and that same week other people who had been waiting for two months finally got theirs. To be fair (and a little anecdotal), most of the complaints I come across are based around lead times, as opposed to anything that's wrong with the product. I definitely agree they should work on their customer service.

Ya, would be a real bummer if they put it out for "4 pinion" open 33 spline rears...... @ lowrangeoffroad / Powertrax

Was just reading through this thread and was just curious as to why you might prefer a mechanical locker other than maybe the price? I put air lockers in both front and rear years ago and have had 0 issues other than having to replace the compressor pressure switch. I know they were a bit pricey compared to welding one up or going mechanical but it also allows me the option of running open on the street, lock front/lock rear/lock both depending on the driving conditions.

Was just reading through this thread and was just curious as to why you might prefer a mechanical locker other than maybe the price? I put air lockers in both front and rear years ago and have had 0 issues other than having to replace the compressor pressure switch. I know they were a bit pricey compared to welding one up or going mechanical but it also allows me the option of running open on the street, lock front/lock rear/lock both depending on the driving conditions.

Price and ease of installation would probably be biggest factors. I enjoy my front lokka but only because I am able to unlock the hubs. A rear would be cool to have but only for a dedicated wheeling truck. I can’t imagine having it on a daily.

Sent from my Pathfinder

What R50JR said.  At 25% the costs and installation effort of air lockers, it's a great option.  They're still streetable, even in inclement weather, but just require a less-aggressive driving style.  That's a reasonable trade-off in my opinion.  

I contacted lokka a few days ago. Rep said no rear locker will be available for r50 and whatever is on the website is a glitch. Not sure I believe it, so keeping my fingers crossed.

Sent from my Pathfinder

4 hours ago, RainGoat said:

Found this posted by Dan Otto on an Oregon Offroad FB group.

713ee4420fa23c6ef313b889ecdc3150.jpg

Yup, this popped up on Facebook two days ago I think. 

a Russian member is installing that unit- it just came out and apparently has a few kinks (although some of the information gets lost in translation, it was hard to understand what he was getting at.)

the company (IZH-Techno) looks pretty legit. They have a great website, nice Instagram page and even a well recurved youtube channel. 

This is supposed to be made precisely for our rears- 2 pinion open diffs with 33 spline axle shafts.

2 US owners (one whose on here + Dan) have purchased it so far

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Blokka for the R50 rear differential! 33 spline. Ordered Feb 8th arrived March 2nd. $290.88 delivered. Installation date is still to be determined.. Stay tuned.

20210302_135512.jpg

20210302_134819.jpg

• Like 4